Which audio and coax' cable?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Which audio and coax' cable?

Post by MiXiN » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:40 pm

As some of you may know, a friend of mine recently bought this and is now asking for some assistance boxing it up and finding the correct RF and Audio cables as well as a metal box. Image

My rigs have always come prebuilt so I'm unsure as to the name of the Coax used etc'.. I think mine have used RG213 or RG58, but since the holes at the RF out stage of this driver are small we'd like something thinner and flexible.

Also wondering which cable to buy for the MPX audio input - a link to a cheap metal box would be great, too.

Forgot to say, this driver will be in a seperate box to the amplifier, and it's about 5 x 3 inches in size.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Which audio and coax' cable?

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:59 pm

RG316 is an excellent quality cable! small in size (3mm approx) silver plated and high temperature handling!
Bloody expensive though! i bought a 25m reel and it cost nearly 40 quid!
I am as stupid as I look! :|

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:13 am

Also you can use RG316 for audio connections? but there are cheaper options!
I am as stupid as I look! :|

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:41 am

sinus trouble wrote: Bloody expensive though! i bought a 25m reel and it cost nearly 40 quid!
Hey Sinus, that is not so expensive since it is teflon coax. You can go 500w through it.
On topic, you can use rg316, or rg58 no problem. You can solder it on the bottom of the board. It can be used for audio too, but you can also use rg59 for audio/mpx input. For audio, any higher quality audio cable will do. It is important to have copper net for ground connection, not two parallel conductors...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:23 am

Nice one for the RG316 recommendation. I just bought 1 metre of it as that's more than enough for the audio in and RF out side.

Pjeva, what do you mean by 'Copper net', and I'm OK just using this RG316 with the outer coax to the ground hole and the inner to the RF out?

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:56 am

MiXiN wrote:Nice one for the RG316 recommendation. I just bought 1 metre of it as that's more than enough for the audio in and RF out side.

Pjeva, what do you mean by 'Copper net', and I'm OK just using this RG316 with the outer coax to the ground hole and the inner to the RF out?
For RG316 output coax that's right way of connecting. By full copper net for audio input i mean somethiong like this:
MX-AUDIO-CABLE-TWO-CORE-INDIVIDUALLY-SHIELD-OUTER-SHIELDING-100-MTR-ROLL-.jpg
Do NOT use this one:
CBBR124306-40.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:05 pm

pjeva wrote:
MiXiN wrote:Nice one for the RG316 recommendation. I just bought 1 metre of it as that's more than enough for the audio in and RF out side.

For RG316 output coax that's right way of connecting. By full copper net for audio input i mean somethiong like this:
MX-AUDIO-CABLE-TWO-CORE-INDIVIDUALLY-SHIELD-OUTER-SHIELDING-100-MTR-ROLL-.jpg
Do NOT use this one:
CBBR124306-40.jpg
So on the audio in side, wouldn't RG316 be no use since it only has the inner conductor and braid?

I'm having a real dumb day here so I apologise if it's a stupid question.

In other words, would I need some cable that contains 3 conductors as shown above? Red for audio in, white for the negative hole underneath, and a braid to connect to ground?

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:38 pm

No, you can use rg316. Or any cable that has one conductor and BRAID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:41 pm

It sunk in eventually! Lol.

Nice one, Pjeva.