Digital RX/TX Antenna Height ?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
dave.parsons
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Digital RX/TX Antenna Height ?

Post by dave.parsons » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:44 pm

We've started using a digital controlled network at work instead of our old one.

Compared to the range of the old analogue radios the digital network isn't as good (both are up in the 500mhz region). However, I learned this week that the main digital antenna hasn't been installed as high up as possible.

Basically my question is this : is antenna height as important for digital reception as it is for analogue FM ?

Thanks !

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Digital RX/TX Antenna Height ?

Post by teckniqs » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:29 pm

Yes definitely, and being in the UHF band the signal will be much more line of sight too.

dave.parsons
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by dave.parsons » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:31 pm

Thanks Teckniqs - I figured it would be similar. No wonder the digital coverage is crap compared to the analogue network... the digital mast is at the bottom of the site :-o

Installed by experts lol !

dave.parsons
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by dave.parsons » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:34 pm

The old analogue TX is at the top of a local hill. I can only imagine the fitters of the digital equipment blagged it and got away with a few weeks off and a load of money in their pocket ! I was lucky enough to visit the site of the old analogue signal this week... a perfect TX site and there was already a working ADSL router in there :-)