Caretaker issues!

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Caretaker issues!

Post by XXL » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:43 pm

Anyone ever had problems with using a block where the caretaker is a nosy cunt and just won’t have it ?

Now this block we used is the most run down piece of shit and the council spend no money on it ever. The tenants call it “uninhabitable” it’s that bad. So naturally you would think, no one’s gonna care if I put my rig on that.

6 hours later on a Sunday morning, a whole setup was removed by the caretaker. Wtf ??? They also managed to unjack my rig aswell, fuck knows how.

Is there some kind of alarms on the roofs now days ? The roof is plagued with pigeons so I don’t see there being one as it would constantly be going off.

There’s only a handful of what looks like new equipment that’s using line of sight, ubiquity type dishes. No phone masts.

I couldn’t believe it, a whole setup just gone by some council guys with clearly nothing better to do. But it’s just baffling me how they knew and took the time to come out on Sunday morning to remove it all.

Also we climbed out the window to the roof so no doors were disturbed, wtf could it be ?

whitenoisedb
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Re: Caretaker issues!

Post by whitenoisedb » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:04 pm

XXL wrote:Anyone ever had problems with using a block where the caretaker is a nosy cunt and just won’t have it ?

Now this block we used is the most run down piece of shit and the council spend no money on it ever. The tenants call it “uninhabitable” it’s that bad. So naturally you would think, no one’s gonna care if I put my rig on that.

6 hours later on a Sunday morning, a whole setup was removed by the caretaker. Wtf ??? They also managed to unjack my rig aswell, fuck knows how.

Is there some kind of alarms on the roofs now days ? The roof is plagued with pigeons so I don’t see there being one as it would constantly be going off.

There’s only a handful of what looks like new equipment that’s using line of sight, ubiquity type dishes. No phone masts.

I couldn’t believe it, a whole setup just gone by some council guys with clearly nothing better to do. But it’s just baffling me how they knew and took the time to come out on Sunday morning to remove it all.

Also we climbed out the window to the roof so no doors were disturbed, wtf could it be ?
Possibly someone who lives in the block? What makes you certain it was the caretaker? If it’s that run down there’s unlikely to be motion sensors, if there are they should be well visible in order to be effective. Perhaps some kind of interference issues may have sparked Ofcom into putting pressure onto the council to remove it? The UniFi gear possibly links the block CCTV system to a monitored control room and saw you guys coming, if it’s a well used block for pirates they know what they’re looking for no doubt. Who knows but either way but lasting 6 hours is gutting. How deep down was the gear jacked in? Sorry, too many questions but all of the thoughts running through my head!

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:05 am

Unfortunately XXL, I believe OFCOM has made it the Councils responsibility to control their Manor!

Possibly hitting them with fines if they do not comply?

Here in East London, I often see Caretakers wandering around roof tops looking for anything suspicious!

White Noise does have a valid point, But it is always the poorest parts of society targeted for misbehavior!
I am as stupid as I look! :|

livendirect
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by livendirect » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:50 pm

As sinus said i no for a fact ofcom are putting pressure on council here in Birmingham to get stuff off roofs
Fusion Fm (Birmingham) Unreal Fm (Birmingham) :rip

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by XXL » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:01 pm

Yeh I defo won’t be using blocks again. Shame because it’s so easy to setup on them lol

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:33 pm

We used all sorts of tricks to make rigs impossible to remove. The very best of these was to brick the rig into a wall up in the tank room! Once the concrete had set, there was little chance of them ever getting the rig out again. I had a rig concreted in up a block in Shepherd's Bush back in the 80s. It was used every weekend for months, and was only taken off the air by a lightning strike!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Bton-FM
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Bton-FM » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:06 am

Albert H wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:33 pm I had a rig concreted in up a block in Shepherd's Bush back in the 80s.
Bet that works well until it catches fire and you can't get it out of the wall!

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:33 am

Bton-FM wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:06 am
Albert H wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:33 pm I had a rig concreted in up a block in Shepherd's Bush back in the 80s.
Bet that works well until it catches fire and you can't get it out of the wall!
I never had that problem! I was never one to squeeze the last Watt out of a rig - I preferred them to continue to work!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

OldskoolPirate
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by OldskoolPirate » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:55 pm

Albert H wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:33 pm We used all sorts of tricks to make rigs impossible to remove. The very best of these was to brick the rig into a wall up in the tank room! Once the concrete had set, there was little chance of them ever getting the rig out again. I had a rig concreted in up a block in Shepherd's Bush back in the 80s. It was used every weekend for months, and was only taken off the air by a lightning strike!
How would you get it out if they cut all your wires though ?
:tup

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:59 am

We made the wiring inaccessible - the coax (for example) ran inside the mast (to stop Zack putting drawing pins in to it - one of his favourite tricks). Cavity walls are your friend!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

mixfm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mixfm » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:02 pm

birmingham city council are changing the roof doors & locks to prevent the stations getting on the roofs, unless u have someone in your pocket; a few stations in brum are only on the 10 story blocks nowdays not like the old 19 story blocks,,