Audio changeover

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Audio changeover

Post by radium98 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:02 pm

Hello , i was asking is there a way to make an audio changeover , between 2 sources , if 1 primary source line in is out , then after x second timer 555 it switch to second line in source 4066 .i tried to make that before but failed , and this was with the help of a freind ,forget to say that if main source detected back , it should be back , all that to complete the hobbie .It exist a high price microcontroller units but they are far to be obtained,or if a felow have a to write a software with a pic that it good . the pic control the inputs and switch to an analogue ic

Krakatoa
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Re: Audio changeover

Post by Krakatoa » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:38 am

There is a small PC software that does this. It is called "silence detector" it was on the pira.cz website.
I have never tried it but what you describe matches what that pira software does.

yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by yellowbeard » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:50 pm

There are many simple switches designed to activate a recorder or bug by sound using a relay, and they switch off when silence returns - this could be adapted to do what you want using a double throw double pole relay.
http://www.circuitdiagram.org/audio-act ... witch.html
https://easyeda.com/guest/Audio_Detecto ... -yYuM4mfxP

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:28 am

@krakatoa thankl you already know that software but i need something hardware .

@yellowbeard thank you .

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:49 am

That one won't work, and would tend to shunt the audio!

You may have a further problem if you're running stereo or have RDS - the modulation path is never "silent" because of the RDS signal or the stereo pilot tone.

My hardware Modulation Monitor gives an alarm output after a set number of seconds of silence. It can also handle stereo multiplex and RDS baseband signals - there are notch filters at the critical frequencies.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:19 pm

The approach I use is to filter the modulation - including 19 kHz and 57 kHz notches - and then feeds the audio to a "diode pump". This configuration detects the presence of audio, by converting it to a varying DC level. This DC signal is then used to feed a comparator, with the threshold set for very quiet (but present) audio. The output of the comparator then is used to reset a timer - the timer is held at zero by the presence of audio. If there is silence for a predetermined period, a bistable is "set" and an alarm raised. The output of the bistable can also be used to switch to an alternative source of audio.....
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

reverend
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by reverend » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:44 pm

Albert H wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:19 pm The approach I use is to filter the modulation - including 19 kHz and 57 kHz notches - and then feeds the audio to a "diode pump".
I guess it depends whether you are trying to detect 'silence' or a lack of valid programme. I've done both in the past, i.e. detected the 19 kHz tone to check that the incoming feed is intact, and then alternatively/also detected a lack of audio to see whether there was anything leaving the studio. I've even used these to change the transmitted RDS so that it's clear on the receiver where/what the problem is. Mind you as the RDS and pilot tone are now often generated in the same place, this is harder to do.
if it ain't broke, keep tweaking

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:41 pm

Way back, I used the 19kHz pilot to drive an NE567 to pull in a relay, and turn on the PA! Obviously, that assumed that you were using stereo.

I also used sub-audio tones over the link to switch the rig on and off.

A recent system I did has a silence detector at the transmitter end, and a USB-stick in a USB audio player as back-up programme for a few hours if the link is lost.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)