voltage gain amplifier

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

voltage gain amplifier

Post by radium98 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:47 pm

Hello , i am in need of a little design circuit wich can use eg S8050 or c945 transistors , that can work as a voltage gain amplifier.
my problem exist in , i have a few milli volts abt 160 mv that i need to amplify to level to activate a relay coil that can work between 5 and 12v.then 160 mv can go up to several volts to activate the relay

thanks

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: voltage gain amplifier

Post by Albert H » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:32 am

160mV won't switch on a transistor - you need ~650mV. If your signal is that small, you'll need a DC-coupled op-amp circuit to get it up to a big enough voltage to operate a transistor.

However, if you've got such a tiny signal, and there's RF around, you'll have all sorts of problems!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:23 pm

thank you for the help and reply .
this circuit is what i want to implement between my low signal and theone that will activate the sensitivity of the realy that already will have a transistor .
what do you think , i have remove this circuit from a circuit similar to what i want
only difference it use ca3130 and what i am trying with is 741 and i think for such need there is no problem ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:45 pm

Your circuit should work, but an LM358 might be a better choice since it tolerates input and output voltages close to the rails.

Remember to RF filter the inputs of the op-amp and the base of the relay drive transistor. RF can get into anything and cause problems. Also be sure to put a reverse-biased diode across the relay coil, and filter the switching spikes off the supply rails.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)