Internet radio, pure shit!

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Internet radio, pure shit!

Post by XXL » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:13 pm

With FM seemingly getting more unpopular to use over the years, Iv tried to break my dinosaur ways by doing what all the kids are doing (supposedly). Listen to radio on mobile data.

It’s absolute crap, the stream keeps stopping all the time when no phone signal.
I’d rather listen to fuzz than for it to just stop. And DAB ain’t not better with the nasty digital popping noises it makes.

FM is superior to both of these formats. I don’t get why they’re trying to fix sumink that’s not broken. Maybe FM could do with more top end but it’s still good enough to listen to in your car.

mpx
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: Internet radio, pure shit!

Post by mpx » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:09 pm

The trouble is a lot of the apps and players don't buffer enough data because they start playing instantly.

I recently tested a brand new car with mobile data built in. The car's sim was on O2. Despite being almost on top of the local mast and my phone having full signal, the car's 4G receiver was deaf, giving 1-2 bars.

Buffering... :roll:

The phone played happily with full signal.

The stream stops when the phone loses signal though so I understand your frustration.

My car has DAB, I've used it once in two years.

FM I use for band scans and occasionally listen to a station for more than a few minutes before getting bored. I play music or podcasts from USB or iPod most of the time. Sometimes stream the odd station if I know I'll be in a good signal area, but I prefer to not have to plan for that!

FM always wins if there's something decent to listen to. Not much around on the band though that plays what I like (EDM), even in the southeast. UK radio is so lame right now.

:whistle

fmuser877
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by fmuser877 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:22 pm

my stream works very well but using fiber FTTC.

Steve
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Steve » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:41 pm

I travel around the country through the night to various locations but mainly from Norfolk to Burton On Trent and back again, without Tune In I'd be stuck listening to Radio 2! FM radio is absolutely shit outside of London.

Don't have have many problems with cutting out and buffering.

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by XXL » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:32 pm

Fm is dead because of the idiots going around taking them all off every time someone switches on.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:07 am

That's strange - I couple my mobile phone to my car audio system by Bluetooth. Using "myTuner Pro", I seldom get any drop-outs either in the UK or on the European mainland. Perhaps people need to get better mobile phones!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Justin
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Justin » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:29 am

I got a good mobile phone but drops out due to network three it's pants. Only get 1mb download speed off my local cell mast that's in my street.
Complained so many times never gets fixed.
Will be moving provider when my contract up.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:06 pm

:whistle

The bottom line is...

They are trying to kill of FM because they can't make money out of it.

But my ''Brian'' I will be on FM (only) till I die :tup
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

Persona Non Grata
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Persona Non Grata » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:01 pm

Killing it off is not going to make them money either. Its not like the frequencies can be sold off to mobile phone companies (they're not interested in anything below UHF)

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:46 pm

Persona Non Grata wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:01 pm
Killing it off is not going to make them money either. Its not like the frequencies can be sold off to mobile phone companies (they're not interested in anything below UHF)
That may be true, but Band II is great for land mobile communications. It's ideal for base to mobile communications - probably using either NBFM or some digital mode - and when broadcasting ceases on it, it'll become the frequency of choice for wide area mobile comms.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

sherbetguy
ne guy
ne guy

Post by sherbetguy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:08 pm

I agree, lots of buffering with different radio apps doesn't seem to be getting any better either. I try to support the smaller internet based stations, used to love DAB but got bored with lack of variety