Band 1 PLL PRO3?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
eiradioguy
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Band 1 PLL PRO3?

Post by eiradioguy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:37 pm

Can the NRG PLL PRO III be set for Band 1 frequencies? If so, is it a matter of dip switch settings or is there a specific board revision required? Does anyone have dip switch settings for Band 1? Thanks for all help.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Band 1 PLL PRO3?

Post by Albert H » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:32 am

You can move it down to Band I, but it's a lot of work. The six VCO coils need to be increased from 2 to 3 turns each, the collector load chokes need to be increased, and the interstage and output lowpass filters need to be redimensioned. It's a huge amount of work. The PLL section would also need a couple of changes, which would involve cutting tracks and some rewiring.

It probably better to either build a Pro III specifically for Band I from a bare board (you'll have to do the calculations and work out the PLL changes yourself) or build a dedicated Band I rig. How much power do you need? I can put up a simple circuit (including a cheap and easy PLL) that can give you a Watt or two on Band I.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)