One Last FM Exciter.

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
Krakatoa
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Re: One Last FM Exciter.

Post by Krakatoa » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:46 am

Beautiful nice board there. If you plan on using the MRF4427, I propose to put it on the solder side of the PCB and to improve heatsinking, place a lot of vias around the transistor to connect it to a gnd plane on top layer, with space for an adhesive heatsink (like the ones that some equipment attach on top of some hot running IC's).

Zozo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Zozo » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:17 am

Thank you Krakatoa, and for the tips with the MRF4427. I think I've got to a stage where I can order the first sample PCB's. It'll probably need some rework, but at least I'll have something to work with for the practical experimenting process.
Give me a AM transmitter with things that glow any day.

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:28 am

Zozo wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:42 pm
teckniqs wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:21 pm
radium98 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:36 pm thank you @Zozo i wish will this art of beauty have an lcd later :)
"Proper Pirates" don't have LCD frequency displays on rigs.... :tup
Yes I agree Tech, as most pirates don't really regard that as a must have feature. But I can understand that some people do.
sorry i dont know this before , thanks you .but for a professionel look only .some esthetiques.

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:32 am

what about a digital swr power meter that can fit alone with any exciter and control it via pwm etc ....for protection issue ,swr alarm , temp ,power up and down and finally excursion deviation meter .But alone and PIc microcontroller ?

Zozo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Zozo » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:07 pm

radium98 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:32 am what about a digital swr power meter that can fit alone with any exciter and control it via pwm etc ....for protection issue ,swr alarm , temp ,power up and down and finally excursion deviation meter .But alone and PIc microcontroller ?
Yes I know what your thinking. That could easily be done on a sub board as a companion to the exciter. There would need to be a control line sent back to the exciter for adjusting the power, which would just vary the supple voltage to the pen stage driver. That could also be useful for high S.W.R. switch off.

For the buttons used to change and confirm the frequency, there would need to be new software written.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re:

Post by teckniqs » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:16 pm

I think it's a shame this is going to be the "One Last FM Exciter" you will design as I thought it was quite an interesting project.

Zozo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Re:

Post by Zozo » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:32 pm

teckniqs wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:16 pm I think it's a shame this is going to be the "One Last FM Exciter" you will design as I thought it was quite an interesting project.
Thanks Tech. It's been a fun project I must admit. :tup

It's had it's "Up's" and "Down's" along the way. But It does work well, and should have all the features most pirates would need for a "Tower Block Rig" installation. There is still the MK3, which is basically the same board but with the more obtainable MRF4427

There's something else in the pipe line which is more for the QRP guys, and will be a nice companion for the Exciter. Mostly because it will just match in looks and branded.

Sneak Preview. (Nothing set in stone with the design)
Amp.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:06 pm

teckniqs wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:16 pm I think it's a shame this is going to be the "One Last FM Exciter" you will design as I thought it was quite an interesting project.
+1

This thread is a good read, and the work is impressive.

Well done, Zozo & co :tup

Zozo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Zozo » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:44 pm

MiXiN wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:06 pm
+1

This thread is a good read, and the work is impressive.

Well done, Zozo & co :tup
Thanks MiXiN, When you look back to page one of this thread to where it all started, and to where it's ended up. It's defiantly come on along way. ;)

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:26 pm

Zozo wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:07 pm
radium98 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:32 am what about a digital swr power meter that can fit alone with any exciter and control it via pwm etc ....for protection issue ,swr alarm , temp ,power up and down and finally excursion deviation meter .But alone and PIc microcontroller ?
Yes I know what your thinking. That could easily be done on a sub board as a companion to the exciter. There would need to be a control line sent back to the exciter for adjusting the power, which would just vary the supple voltage to the pen stage driver. That could also be useful for high S.W.R. switch off.

For the buttons used to change and confirm the frequency, there would need to be new software written.
awasome as a standalone project what i dream in with pic16f876a , i have a similar pcb what on it are erased but i know them i can help for what inside Zozo and al l will benefit from , no arduino or excotics parts
happy easter to all and thanks

Zozo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Zozo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:31 pm

[UPDATE]

After much thought I've decided to abandon the original idea for the MK3, that would have used the surface mount MRF4427 device. There's still plenty of 2n4427 available for the time being, especially those that where manufactured by Philips and ST.

Sorry if this had disappointed anyone waiting for the newer version to be posted, but I would like to get started on other projects that are in the pipe-line.

However I did make one or two last changes to the MK2, which I think have made improvements. Firstly I changed the orientation of the DC Choke inductor to the final stage, with increased through-hole pitch. This should make it easier in install, plus it looks neater.

Finally the exposed ground plane around the outer edge of the PCB, which will now make things easier for the ground / braid on both AF/RF connections. Before as some of you know, I was suppling the tag washers for the same purpose with the PCB's.

The Source Files will be posted as always, and like before there will be a limited amount of PCB's available for sale soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zozo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Zozo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:32 pm

Source Files Below
ZoZo-PLL-MK3.zip

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:45 pm

Thank you .

Zozo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Zozo » Fri May 07, 2021 10:15 am

[UPDATE]

The new PCB's arrived this morning, first impressions they look really good. I'll most likely build one up over the weekend.
20210507_100028.jpg

mpx
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mpx » Fri May 07, 2021 10:30 am

Nice! Might be interested in a few of these :tup

Zozo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Zozo » Fri May 07, 2021 10:37 am

Thanks MPX, I think I've got to a design that's truly finalized.

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Fri May 07, 2021 10:39 am

They look great, Zozo.

Particularly like the common ground around the outer edge.

I'd definitely be interested in buying 1 or 2 of those if you want to sell with programmed PICS.

Zozo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Zozo » Fri May 07, 2021 10:51 am

Thanks MiXiN, I'll get one assembled over the weekend and then start preparing them for shipping. There's only 25 units, but I have a list of reserved pre-orders which includes now 2 for you. I'll contact everyone via PM over the weekend to confirm orders / quantities etc.

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Fri May 07, 2021 11:03 am

Cheers Zozo, you're a star. :tup

RF-Head
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by RF-Head » Tue May 11, 2021 10:03 pm

Found a picture of my old driverboard of 2001
Looks almost the same :lol: :shock:
If have not been on the same school as ZOZO :ugeek: :ugeek: