Any uk stockists of this antenna ?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Any uk stockists of this antenna ?

Post by LeeCavanagh » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:49 pm

The price starts off looking reasonable until you add it to your cart
FDC84725-7592-424B-B808-FEE341A7B2E5.png
C532C86F-C361-4A27-90E7-E2001FF390AE.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sony ST 920 QS

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Any uk stockists of this antenna ?

Post by LeeCavanagh » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:27 am

Or anyone know of similar TX antenna , yes ive tried google, not coming up with much, I guess using yagis is not the usual way, but it will likely out perform a slim Jim, or jpole at least in the direction it’s pointing wont it?

https://www.telecfe.it/wp-content/uploa ... 9/AJ5E.pdf
Sony ST 920 QS

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:37 am

reverend
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by reverend » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:53 am

Or just buy something like this: https://amzn.to/397v5vm As long as you aren't going to run megawatts into it, it'll do a reasonable job. Also, you can play about with the element lengths to get a better radiation pattern/gain and it's much cheaper. I modded an antenna similar to one of these some years ago to cover the aeronautical band (118 - 137 MHz) and it was used for an ATC station who wanted to increase their range compared to their usual omni and it worked very well.
if it ain't broke, keep tweaking

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:40 pm

teckniqs wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:37 am Just build one

http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennae3ycalc.html
I would, but I’m not great at manual stuff, a soldering iron I’m ok with but diy skills limited, ha

I will look at them info though, thank you tek
Sony ST 920 QS

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:44 pm

reverend wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:53 am Or just buy something like this: https://amzn.to/397v5vm As long as you aren't going to run megawatts into it, it'll do a reasonable job. Also, you can play about with the element lengths to get a better radiation pattern/gain and it's much cheaper. I modded an antenna similar to one of these some years ago to cover the aeronautical band (118 - 137 MHz) and it was used for an ATC station who wanted to increase their range compared to their usual omni and it worked very well.
I think that’s the antenna i already have for receiving , I just need a rotator adding, but I wouldn’t have thought it would be any good for TX , I.e no balun and isn’t it a 75ohms antenna not 50ohms? I’d do it if I knew how to make a crude balun and it could take 200 or 500 watts
Sony ST 920 QS

reverend
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by reverend » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:09 pm

As long as it doesn't have a balun in the antenna then you should be OK. 75 Ohms is close enough to 50 Ohms for most purposes (SWR of 1.5 and a mismatch loss of ~0.2 dB) and can easily be tuned out. You could slightly modify the lengths of the elements to get closer to 50 Ohms if you needed but a cheap, domestic antenna is a reasonable starting place and much cheaper than professional ones. Bear in mind that if you intend to put 500 Watts into it, it will almost certainly melt, but 50 Watts should be fine.

Rev
if it ain't broke, keep tweaking

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:34 pm

I know somebody who tested one of those Antiference 5 elements into a cheap eBay 30w chinese rig for a laugh and was reaching out about 40 miles in the direction he faced it and this was with the aerial really low down about 10ft above ground.
He said the SWR was 1.9 and when he compared it to a tuned dipole with a 1.0 SWR the standard dipole only reached about half the distance!

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:40 am

The best option if you want a bit of antenna gain with minimum hassle is to build an "H" 2-element Yagi - just the driven dipole and a reflector behind it. If you get the dimensions right, you'll get almost twice the output power off the front of the aerial. We used to use exactly this configuration on a couple of outer London sites, so that we weren't wasting power broadcasting to sheep. I even built a couple of "stacked H" jobs which really worked well.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:33 pm

I have since found out , the manufacturer of the antenna above will sell to the UK directly, cutting out the obscene pricing seen in the image, you can get it 200 euro cheaper going direct.

Now, the only problem i have now is getting someone to put the thing up, ive had some quotes in and they are very high.

Fit customers OWN brackets : £65
Fit customers OWN 10ft pole : £99 !
Fit customer OWN antenna to the pole : £45 ! (Hang on, this is getting silly)
Fit customers OWN coax to antenna : £15
And i supply all the connectors too... I should just be paying for labour, I’d even get the pole and antenna ready myself with the coax.

Then separately i wanted them to replace some coax on another antenna, and they simply said
Fit customers OWN coax on established antenna : £119. ! (Blimey, what happened to the previous charge of £15

Bleeding chancers !
Sony ST 920 QS

mikroman
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by mikroman » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:42 pm

RVR sells AJ5E directly for 79Euro? I don't really believe it. Also, if in the area where it will be set are difficult winter conditions (ice), then gamma is a bad choice.

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:59 pm

mikroman wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:42 pm RVR sells AJ5E directly for 79Euro? I don't really believe it. Also, if in the area where it will be set are difficult winter conditions (ice), then gamma is a bad choice.
Your looking at the 1st picture when you should be looking at the price on the 2nd picture, 605 euro was the original price i was quoted by the other website, but RVR sell for 350 euro delivered + vat, the shipping is still high at 150 euro. (The dominator is bigger and doesnt cost as much delivery)

You are indeed correct about it not being recommended for consistently Icey conditions, they do a steel one too.
Sony ST 920 QS