HB9CV Antenna For FM Broadcast Band

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
Genie FM
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

HB9CV Antenna For FM Broadcast Band

Post by Genie FM » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:33 am

I've been looking at this design and it seems like a compact beam antenna with a good front to back ratio, that could be useful on 3 meters. Does anyone know someone who could make these at a reasonable price? Cheers,Mmike

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: RE: HB9CV Antenna For FM Broadcast Band

Post by Electronically » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:33 pm

Genie FM wrote:I've been looking at this design and it seems like a compact beam antenna with a good front to back ratio, that could be useful on 3 meters. Does anyone know someone who could make these at a reasonable price? Cheers,Mmike
No it most certainly is not.
However a yagi is most likely better as each pole has a difference for instance each pole could have 1/4 next pole along could have 1/2 next pole could have 5/8 and so on. I've never been a fan of yagis but they do work from what I hear. But not a thing I fancy building. I prefer endfed I know the ohms are massive well depending on length and diameter of conductor should be OK. Anyways cutting along story short. If you like antennas stick to a jpole as that is basically 2 1/2 halfwaves cramped together. The (1/4 wave stub short) can act as a ground. But do me a favour don't use copper can cause you problems later.

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: HB9CV Antenna For FM Broadcast Band

Post by Albert H » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:38 am

The HB9CV is OK for what it was intended to do. It's NOT a broadcast aerial. If you want to send your signal in a particular direction, a vertical Yagi is your best bet. There are lots of 144MHz and 70MHz designs on the 'net - just scale one to your frequency of choice! You can buy the materials in your local hardware emporium, and if you're really lazy, you can but a 75Ω-matched 3-element Yagi made by "Antiference" in most DIY warehouses. If your rig is matched to 50Ω (most are), you'll get a substantial mismatch, but a 50 to 75Ω sleeve transformer is trivially easy to build, and you can use cheap TV coax to feed the antenna if your power is 50 Watts or less.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)