SINUS B1 PROJECT

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: SINUS B1 PROJECT

Post by sinus trouble » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:41 pm

XXL wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:08 pm Nice work! I might give it a go but iv given up on it atm. I'm trying your band 1 RX instead. I tried a different design but it didn't work so I'm going to try yours instead. I was wondering what the "SIG" pad is for in the middle ?
Cheers Geez! :)

The SIG pin is a 'Received signal strength' test point! It gives out a DC voltage according to the strength of the 10.7Mhz!

The receiver can be tricky to align! However, You can connect a multimeter or any other meter to the SIG pin which will help get the best received signal!

I think i posted a video on here using a simple moving magnet type meter (VU needle style) :)
I am as stupid as I look! :|

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:46 pm

jvok wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:27 pm Sinus, do you have gerbers available for these boards yet? I see you have pcbs from jlc but couldn't find a link for gerbers
Hello Jvok :)

I havent posted the Gerbers as yet? But i will do very soon! :)

I will also measure the inductance of the original TOKOS for all those who wish to build their own!

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by XXL » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:04 pm

sinus trouble wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:41 pm
XXL wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:08 pm Nice work! I might give it a go but iv given up on it atm. I'm trying your band 1 RX instead. I tried a different design but it didn't work so I'm going to try yours instead. I was wondering what the "SIG" pad is for in the middle ?
Cheers Geez! :)

The SIG pin is a 'Received signal strength' test point! It gives out a DC voltage according to the strength of the 10.7Mhz!

The receiver can be tricky to align! However, You can connect a multimeter or any other meter to the SIG pin which will help get the best received signal!

I think i posted a video on here using a simple moving magnet type meter (VU needle style) :)
Please do a video on how to align.
Does the VU needle meter detect RF on the signal pad ?

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:03 am

XXL wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:04 pm Please do a video on how to align.
Does the VU needle meter detect RF on the signal pad ?
I may do a video when i get some time? If not i will explain more once i have uploaded the Gerber files! :)

The SIG pin can drive all sorts signal strength indicators! I even used a simple LED for basic alignment! The SIG pin ofcourse is limited to driving small loads, so care must be taken not to damage it! Some sort of resistor is usually required to control current flow!

Obviously there are more precise ways of doing the job!

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:05 pm

Hello Necks! :)

The Gerber files for the B1 TX and RX are available to download below!

**** Disclaimer ****

Although i have built many of these and they work as intended! You do so at your own risk!

Good Luck! :)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:06 pm

Sinus B1 RX.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:07 pm

Sinus B1 TX.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:49 am

Nice job Sinus! Have you tried AFC on your receiver? It keeps the receiver locked to the transmitter, so that any drift is automatically corrected for - the receiver "follows" the transmitter.

The other option (obviously) is to use a PLL. At Band I you can use the 74HC4024 as a "prescaler" to divide the carrier frequency by either 4 or 8. I then use a diode-programmed 74HC4040 to select frequency. The reference is (usually) a 4MHz crystal and a diode-programmed 74HC4060. The phase comparator is a 4046 (or a 7046).

You can use the same type of PLL circuit for both the transmitter and for the receiver Local Oscillator (obviously programming the Receiver LO for 10.7 MHz away from the transmit frequency).

LB has just made some PLL boards with surface-mounted logic. The "prescaler" IC in his case is a 74F160 dividing by 10 - it works all the way through Band I and Band II. He used a 74HC74 and a 74HC00 for his phase comparator, which gives a very clean control voltage when filtered by a dual op-amp circuit. It also gives accurate locked / unlocked indication. His board is double-sided, and the programming is done by linking tracks with solder blobs. We're looking into getting these made in quantity (with the components loaded), since the parts are cheaply available in the Far East, and many of the firms over there are crying out for assembly work at the moment, because there are no microprocessors available anywhere right now, and all those factories are idle.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

jvok
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by jvok » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:49 am

Thank you Sinus :tup

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:42 pm

what a brave guy Sinus .thanks as always .
In a matter of asking anyone can draw me a schematic or pcb layout to amplify from 50 mW to ~ 1W @ 200-250mhz with one of thoses transistors i have bfr96 or bfg135 or bfg591 , i am not sure if the last one can be fake :(
thank you .

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:19 pm

Albert H wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:49 am Nice job Sinus! Have you tried AFC on your receiver? It keeps the receiver locked to the transmitter, so that any drift is automatically corrected for - the receiver "follows" the transmitter.

The other option (obviously) is to use a PLL. At Band I you can use the 74HC4024 as a "prescaler" to divide the carrier frequency by either 4 or 8. I then use a diode-programmed 74HC4040 to select frequency. The reference is (usually) a 4MHz crystal and a diode-programmed 74HC4060. The phase comparator is a 4046 (or a 7046).

You can use the same type of PLL circuit for both the transmitter and for the receiver Local Oscillator (obviously programming the Receiver LO for 10.7 MHz away from the transmit frequency).

LB has just made some PLL boards with surface-mounted logic. The "prescaler" IC in his case is a 74F160 dividing by 10 - it works all the way through Band I and Band II. He used a 74HC74 and a 74HC00 for his phase comparator, which gives a very clean control voltage when filtered by a dual op-amp circuit. It also gives accurate locked / unlocked indication. His board is double-sided, and the programming is done by linking tracks with solder blobs. We're looking into getting these made in quantity (with the components loaded), since the parts are cheaply available in the Far East, and many of the firms over there are crying out for assembly work at the moment, because there are no microprocessors available anywhere right now, and all those factories are idle.
Cheers Albert! :)

The AFC tracking is something i will be working on for sure!

The CMOS PLL angle is also in the pipeline, Hopefully i can find the time to build a stand alone PLL to experiment with!

For the moment? I enjoy the nostalgic oldskool style of tuning! :)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:51 pm

radium98 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:42 pm what a brave guy Sinus .thanks as always .
In a matter of asking anyone can draw me a schematic or pcb layout to amplify from 50 mW to ~ 1W @ 200-250mhz with one of thoses transistors i have bfr96 or bfg135 or bfg591 , i am not sure if the last one can be fake :(
thank you .
Thankyou Radium! :)

Its unlikely i will have the time to design a PCB for you? However i can give you some pointers!

It may be possible in your hometown to download the free program LTSPICE. It will take a while to get used to? But you can build and simulate oscillators! also many other projects! (See my LPF design previous)

Also the SINUS B1 RX can also be adapted to run higher frequencies! Due to the true genius of the 10.7 IF system means only the local oscillator and input filter needs modification! :)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:15 am

jvok wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:49 am Thank you Sinus :tup
No problem! :)

Im in the process of taking measurements from the Original TOKOs to make it possible for hand made alternatives!

They are not too complicated! Just a bit of trial and error to get something that does the job! :)

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:55 am

Sinus what software does import directly the Gerber file to pdf .if I need to try later . Also thanks for up clarification

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:08 pm

radium98 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:55 am Sinus what software does import directly the Gerber file to pdf .if I need to try later . Also thanks for up clarification
I can upload the PDF images here if you need them? :)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:52 pm

Here is the first draft of the IF coil! :)

I will double check to verify they are correct? But this is pretty close!

Measurements were taken without the ferrite core fitted to indicate the minimum values! The core once fitted will increase inductance to take up the slack and bring it into resonance!

I will do some test windings to get an idea of dimensions soon? But if you wish to proceed? Online calculators can guide you! 10.7Mhz is the resonance you are aiming to get from the Primary LC combination!

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:54 pm

Inductor.PNG

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:59 pm

Just to add, The Original TOKO has the 51pF built in!

If you are winding your own coils? C8 will be your Resonant capacitor! :)

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:30 am

Cool .I know that you can import with spl but also there is a specified software .don't remember his name so why I ask .yes no problem to upload full documents in pdf .thanks .

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by XXL » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:35 am

Just made some adjustments to the Tx and now getting 300mw out at 12v and 500mw at 15v. I changed c16 from 47pf to 100pf. And removed c19.

Before I was barley getting 50mw from the original parts list.