Brian needs more power... any suggestions ?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Re: Brian needs more power... any suggestions ?

Post by BriansBrain » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:13 am

teckniqs wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:53 pm
BriansBrain wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:50 pm
rigmo wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:42 pm300w 600w?
Like I said above :smoke

I am thinking of going 600W (which should give me a theoretical ERP of 1200W) 6db increase :tup
Why not just go for the maximum power your aerial can take and just go for the full 1,000watts?

....The price difference of the more powerful amps compared to the 600w version is so minimal, you might as well just maximise!
I have to pay for all the electric out of my own pocket for Brian :|
I run Brian a little over 16hrs per day to keep the cost as low as possible.
An extra 500W mains electric power (at 80% efficiency) x 16hrs per day = 8 kwh
Then x 30 day a month = an extra 240 kwh per month

:smoke
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:17 am

rigmo wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:38 pm N type support max 1kW its not recommended to operate on the edge... min for 1kW need 1/2 coax - LMR600 or greter .. coax up to 10m length !
I like for coax LMR400 10m 650-800w
I have a 10m run of this German made cable Aircom Premium
Aircom Premium.JPG
Outer Jacket PVC black, UV stabilized Ø 10.2mm wall thickness 1.1mm
Maximum Load at 40°C @ 100MHz - 1400 Watt
Attenuation in dB/100m at 20°C - 100MHz 3.6dB

I don't think the cable would be a problem for me :tup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:00 pm

BriansBrain wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:17 am

Aircom Premium.JPG

excellent price per meter?

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:46 pm

rigmo wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:00 pm

Aircom Premium.JPG

excellent price per meter?
It's also an excellent cable for the price :tup

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:06 am

You're right. It's exactly what I use for around 1kW.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

ronald001
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by ronald001 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:51 am

Have a look at RFS Cellflex LCF12-50J coax. ( Use it myself )

- Bit cheaper
- Can handle much more power ( Almost 4 KW @ 100Mhz )
- Less loss ( 2DB @ 100Mhz / 100 Meter )
- Unfortunately it's less flexible

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:37 pm

188XR project... Brian what you say ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ronald001
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by ronald001 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:23 pm

rigmo wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:37 pm 188XR project... Brian what you say ?

do you have the PCB files and complete component list? ( like type of ferrite, length of coax and missing component value?)

Thanks!

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:56 pm

ronald001 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:23 pm do you have the PCB files and complete component list? ( like type of ferrite, length of coax and missing component value?)
Thanks!
Dear FM friend
I'm sorry, I have, but it can't get any further from my side.

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:14 pm

rigmo wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:38 pm N type support max 1kW its not recommended to operate on the edge... min for 1kW need 1/2 coax - LMR600 or greter .. coax up to 10m length !
I like for coax LMR400 10m 650-800w

Aircom Premium.JPG

The best in our area... https://messi.it/en/catalogue/50-ohm-rf ... -cable.htm

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:24 am

The cheapest amplifier is often a better antenna!

Looking at Brian's location, there's little point in transmitting out to sea, so you're immediately looking at a hemispherical radiation pattern. For example:

An "H" (2-element Yagi - radiator and reflector) will give you almost 3dB more than a dipole, and has semi-circular radiation. You can then "stack" these aerials, adding to the radiated power in the direction you want to go. You're going to have to make phasing harnesses (not difficult) and possibly some Pawsey Stubs (unless you go for Gamma Matches).

Also, using stacked Yagis also allows you to "aim" the signal at centres of population, which is something we frequently do in Eastern Europe, Africa, and South America. There's no point in getting a huge signal into a jungle - you want to be hitting the towns and cities!

You can use Yagis with more elements to make them more directional, and to increased the ERP - one installation the lads did recently uses clusters of three and four-element stacked Yagis, with very convoluted matching harnesses. They take a few kilowatts and convert the ERP to almost eight times the transmitter power by using shaped coverage!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

ronald001
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by ronald001 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:00 pm

rigmo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:56 pm
ronald001 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:23 pm do you have the PCB files and complete component list? ( like type of ferrite, length of coax and missing component value?)
Thanks!
Dear FM friend
I'm sorry, I have, but it can't get any further from my side.

I'm sorry i do not understand...
You would help me alot with the Gerber files, could you post these please?

yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by yellowbeard » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:08 pm

That's not Rigmo's work - it's a suggestion. I could not find the info you want with a brief search, not for free anyway...
That's originally a Dutchrfshop project and is available built for €120 (without the FET).
https://dutchrfshop.nl/en/home/500-1000 ... print.html
K19radio have their version on facebook, they may sell you a board if you contact them there.
https://www.facebook.com/k19radio/
Freescale did a different 88-108 reference fixture for the MRFE6VP61K25H, but theirs does have all the parts info. PCB artwork files are on the Freescale site for their version but you have to register
https://www.nxp.com/products/radio-freq ... E6VP61K25H

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:26 pm

yellowbeard wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:08 pm That's not Rigmo's work - it's a suggestion. I could not find the info you want with a brief search, not for free anyway...
That's originally a Dutchrfshop project and is available built for €120 (without the FET).
https://dutchrfshop.nl/en/home/500-1000 ... print.html
K19radio have their version on facebook, they may sell you a board if you contact them there.
https://www.facebook.com/k19radio/
Freescale did a different 88-108 reference fixture for the MRFE6VP61K25H, but theirs does have all the parts info. PCB artwork files are on the Freescale site for their version but you have to register
https://www.nxp.com/products/radio-freq ... E6VP61K25H
Yes you have right.. The MRFE6V is extremely ragged !https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003551957311.html

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:45 pm

Albert H wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:24 am The cheapest amplifier is often a better antenna!

Looking at Brian's location, there's little point in transmitting out to sea, so you're immediately looking at a hemispherical radiation pattern. For example:

An "H" (2-element Yagi - radiator and reflector) will give you almost 3dB more than a dipole, and has semi-circular radiation. You can then "stack" these aerials, adding to the radiated power in the direction you want to go. You're going to have to make phasing harnesses (not difficult) and possibly some Pawsey Stubs (unless you go for Gamma Matches).

Also, using stacked Yagis also allows you to "aim" the signal at centres of population, which is something we frequently do in Eastern Europe, Africa, and South America. There's no point in getting a huge signal into a jungle - you want to be hitting the towns and cities!

You can use Yagis with more elements to make them more directional, and to increased the ERP - one installation the lads did recently uses clusters of three and four-element stacked Yagis, with very convoluted matching harnesses. They take a few kilowatts and convert the ERP to almost eight times the transmitter power by using shaped coverage!
Numerous problems with a BIGGER antenna array.
I want / need Brian to to be / stay omni directionall.
Even though my main listener area is Playa del Ingles / Maspalomas area.
I have had reports that he is available in many parts of the Arguineguín area so I don't want to lose those listeners.
Many residents and tourists drive up into the mountains at and inform me they are surprised and glad to receive him.
I need to stay as inconspicuous and discreet as possible Brian is on the main road with the antenna easily visible.
We get incredibly powerful gusty winds some times.

The 1KW Dominate antenna that I use now only has a wind load of 0.7 square feet.
It has a quoted max wind speed tolerance of 140 MPH.
It has a quoted db gain of 5.15 dbi (3 dbd) - Power gain: 2.

Conclusion: I would like to stay with the Dominate
:tup
Brians Area 3D.JPG

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:23 pm

ronald001 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:00 pm I'm sorry i do not understand...
You would help me alot with the Gerber files, could you post these please?
agreement not to be shared .
I could. i will consult with my friend.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:56 pm

If you're determined to remain omnidirectional, you should consider some kind of colinear antenna. We've built 9.2dB gain "Co-Co" verticals, and these are in fibreglass pipes, so have very little wind loading. The only problem is that to get useful gain, the antenna needs to be about 3 wavelengths long (about 10m in your case), so a "low profile" aerial isn't all that possible. You can reduce visibility by painting the aerial (using acrylic paint) a matt colour that blends either with the sky or the background - getting rid of the shininess is the most important part of concealment.

Another trick - if you're concerned - is to make some dummy aerials out of suitably painted wooden dowel, and put them around the neighbourhood in reasonably high locations. We used to put dummy aerials all over the city to confuse and frustrate the "authorities".

I would seriously doubt the quoted gain figure of the aerial you're using at the moment - they're normally in the region of 2.5 - 3.5 dB gain, but do have the (marginal) advantage of a slightly rising radiation pattern. You can easily do much better. Even a single-slot colinear like http://sm0vpo.altervista.org/antennas/6dbvhf0.htm will give you better performance, and if constructed sensibly will withstand the wind.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:15 pm

Albert H wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:56 pm I would seriously doubt the quoted gain figure of the aerial you're using at the moment - they're normally in the region of 2.5 - 3.5 dB gain, but do have the (marginal) advantage of a slightly rising radiation pattern. You can easily do much better.
This is from the Dominator website...
https://fmbroadcastantenna.com/dominator.html
Dom Specs.jpg
Compared to the Dipole I had connected before using the same 150W TX
I measured an average extra +3dB signal in Brians total coverage area.
Albert H wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:56 pm Even a single-slot colinear like http://sm0vpo.altervista.org/antennas/6dbvhf0.htm will give you better performance, and if constructed sensibly will withstand the wind.
I have mentioned before for me to construct an antenna I would have to find another location to test it and set it up,
as my property if flooded with RF not only is Brian ''ON AIR'' 16 hrs a day but only a few metres up the road
I have Cadena SER Maspalomas @ 99.6 with a 4kW transmitter into 4 Directional antennas pointing strait at me.
SER Antenna.jpg
:whistle

yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by yellowbeard » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:12 pm

You should e-mail or phone Dutchrfshop, he has 3 of his 4 Watt in 500 Watt out modules in stock at €209, 1KW modules at €119 plus €169 for the MRFE6VP61K25HR6. You will need sundry items like a copper heat spreader, heatsink, output filter, fans, connectors, an enclosure and a power supply - he sells all that too. Sorry to hear you have trouble with his website, he has some good shit on there. Here is his number and e-mail:
Call us: 06-22820360 (needs the dialling code the Netherlands before that number)
Email us: [email protected]

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:17 am

Aha!! The gain of "5.15 dBi" is actually fractionally less than 3dB over a dipole. The "dBi" figure is the theoretical "gain" over a non-existent "isotropic radiator". Aerial charlatans always use the "dBi" theoretical figure in an effort to make their aerial appear to have more gain that it actually has. Your measured average 3db over a dipole is probably about right.

Your "Dominator" aerial is just a slightly shortened ⅞-wave job - shortened to make it match 50Ω - with that weird "halo" matching transformer. It works just the same as a ¾ J-pole - the upper ½-wave part does the radiation, the lower bit is just for the match!

Depending upon the altitude of your site, you could consider a "Slim-Jim" which would give very similar results, and would cost next to nothing to make! It's possible to engineer the Slim-Jim to give a sloped radiation pattern - we've used them from high sites with a falling radiation shape to get coverage into nearby inhabited valleys.

You really should consider "aiming" your signal towards the centres of population - there's no point whatsoever of broadcasting out to sea, and you could redirect that otherwise wasted power to where you really want it to go!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)