Alternative to using 2n4427 for 1 watt drivers

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
Zozo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Alternative to using 2n4427 for 1 watt drivers

Post by Zozo » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:58 am

Sorry I missed something you said about the emitter pins 1,4,5 & 8. Those are all common with each other and not grounded to deck.

Connectivity path for emitters in pink
Emitter Pins.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Give me a AM transmitter with things that glow any day.

garada
ne guy
ne guy

Post by garada » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:15 pm

To obtain 1w a more modern alternative to the 2n4427 is the mitsubishi rd01, it has an smd format and it heats up very little, of course it is not a direct alternative, the price is also much lower than an original 2n4427

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:56 pm

I've been experimenting with the RD01, and have found that it's very efficient (little heat dissipated), physically small (very convenient), and has loads of gain!

I've just lashed together an exciter with a dual-gate FET Hartley VCO and an RD01. It's a two-transistor, at-frequency 1 Watt driver! With a surface-mounted PLL IC (I've still got a few SM MC145170s) and an SM PIC, it should be possible to make a matchbox-sized exciter!

It occurs to me that it might be worth identifying a cheap, Asian SM PLL IC and a suitable PIC or AVR to programme it (probably an 8-pin job for fixed frequency), and get a whole lot of tiny PCBs made in the Far East. Early research suggests that they should be around £5 each to get made, with all the components loaded!

It could be interesting to make a ½f doubler exciter (for stability in an RF-noisy environment), and I could use my very old diode-programmed 4-chip CMOS PLL circuit - but in Surface Mount - and get them made without the programming diodes, so the could be set to frequency as needed. This might be the way forward!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)