Brian's new Antenna

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Re: Brian's new Antenna

Post by BriansBrain » Mon May 25, 2020 12:09 pm

fmuser877 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:09 pm I am pretty low down but getting about 8 miles in the car on 7 or 30 watts from my place you must have more hills around :(
Yes - we have many hills - look at the Terrain pic I posted :whistle
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Mon May 25, 2020 12:49 pm

Albert H wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:22 am I always found that a quick twin-stack of dipoles worked well, and gave around 3.2 dBb if matched and assembled correctly.
The "Dominator" claims 3 dBd.
Albert, if you remember from other posts of mine.
I had contemplated going for a twin-stack of dipoles especially because I already had one rated at 150W.
But... this would of given me a max power handling of only 300W. :(
Also on a private house is visually instantly suspect... OH LOOK... it must be a Pirate Radio. :?

The Dominator is rated at 1000W and is very unobtrusive :smoke
It was pre-tuned, very quick to install, very low SWR and has given some good results from listeners feedback so far ;)

Brian and me are very happy with it :tup
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Mon May 25, 2020 2:04 pm

fmuser877 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:09 pm I am pretty low down but getting about 8 miles in the car on 7 or 30 watts from my place you must have more hills around :(
This is the reason I can't even get 9.8 km or 6 miles :smoke
Amadores - Puerto - Anfi.jpg
:tup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Mon May 25, 2020 2:23 pm

teckniqs wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:18 am ....So in that case if you've got the 1kW version and not the 250w version, does that mean you might be planning to use more power? :tup :whistle
YES :tup

Bton-FM
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Bton-FM » Mon May 25, 2020 5:52 pm

BriansBrain wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:04 pm
This is the reason I can't even get 9.8 km or 6 miles :smoke

Amadores - Puerto - Anfi.jpg

:tup
Maybe you should try suspending the aerial with a couple of helium balloons in the sky.... :whistle

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Mon May 25, 2020 6:21 pm

Bton-FM wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:52 pm Maybe you should try suspending the aerial with a couple of helium balloons in the sky.... :whistle
:lol: Good idea... but impractical :(

One other idea would be transmit from offshore - boat / platform etc :tup

Only problem with that is it's patrolled by Spanish armed forces - they have guns :?
Guardia Civil Patrol Boat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SOTS 87 7
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by SOTS 87 7 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:55 am

The "Dominator" claims 3 dBd.

I have one of these and found it to be quite effective, certainly far better than the single dipole AND (Albert will like this) 1000 times better than that screwed up cut down '' silver rod'' thing that Paul Hollings tried to sell. I've got one of those as well, You'd get better performance from a wet bit of string.

fmuser877
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by fmuser877 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:23 am

do other local stations also have the same problem as you?

Bton-FM
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Bton-FM » Wed May 27, 2020 10:52 am

I know it’s bit of a far out suggestion,but wouldn’t it be worth putting your gear on the top of one of those fatty mountains?

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Wed May 27, 2020 11:31 am

SOTS 87 7 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:55 am The "Dominator" claims 3 dBd.

I have one of these and found it to be quite effective, certainly far better than the single dipole
I also had a single dipole before... ;)
Up to now signal results coming in from ''normal listeners'' it's better now... not as much breakup :tup
I will be doing a signal strength test later this week with my Pira P275 FM Analyzer :smoke

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Wed May 27, 2020 11:39 am

fmuser877 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:23 am do other local stations also have the same problem as you?
Of coarse they do :lol:
Example, the local legal station SER at 99.6MHz 100m up the road to me has an array of 4 Directional Dipoles running at at 4KW :o
SER Antenna.jpg

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Wed May 27, 2020 12:48 pm

Bton-FM wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:52 am I know it’s bit of a far out suggestion,but wouldn’t it be worth putting your gear on the top of one of those fatty mountains?
OK... Now we are talking :tup
Pico de la Nieves
Its height is 1,949 metres (6,394 ft) above sea level and a maximum of 25km from my listeners area.
The mountain were all the Big legal stations transmit from.
They have high voltage electric fences around the sites with armed security guards patrolling 24 hours a day.
Pico de la Nieves-6.jpg
It's also were all the Big Pirate Stations have there antennas.
Pico de la Nieves-5.jpg
It's the perfect location :tup
However :(
Extortionate rental cost of the hut / shack together with 3rd party provided electric running cost.
Industrial air conditioning / heating unit.
Reliable high power transmitter and Cavity Filter.
Antenna system to cope with temperatures +45C° in the summer, -10C° and snow in the winter.
Large tall strong steel mast, extreme high winds up there +/- 120mph.
Studio to transmitter link.
Because of jealousy from the competition there is a lot of vandalism, have to pay a private armed security guard service.
Distance and time from base if a fault occurs or pay a company to be on standby.

There are two little huts / shacks available :whistle
Pico de la Nieves-Empty.jpg

Tec1 87.5fm London
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Tec1 87.5fm London » Thu May 28, 2020 3:55 pm

Put in the trees Mate and nick power from aircon

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Thu May 28, 2020 5:19 pm

Tec1 87.5fm London wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:55 pm Put in the trees Mate and nick power from aircon
:lol:

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: RE: Re: Brian's new Antenna

Post by Electronically » Fri May 29, 2020 10:55 pm

BriansBrain wrote:
Tec1 87.5fm London wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:55 pm Put in the trees Mate and nick power from aircon
2 x over radio horizon you'll be good to gooooooo.

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Brian's new Antenna

Post by Electronically » Fri May 29, 2020 11:09 pm

Electronically wrote:
BriansBrain wrote:

Note:to those that know how this radio horizon works you'll have a fairly good idea how to achieve this.nothing competes against a line of sight. Once you have this far up in the air you'll be good to go. But warning 100 meters of coax is wrong. However if 10 meters is achieved you'll be good as new. Reason being as Albert and Steven once mentioned if to above 10 meters you'll lose power through coax.

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Brian's new Antenna

Post by Electronically » Fri May 29, 2020 11:17 pm

Electronically wrote:
Electronically wrote:
BriansBrain wrote:

Note:to those that know how this radio horizon works you'll have a fairly good idea how to achieve this.nothing competes against a line of sight. Once you have this far up in the air you'll be good to go. But warning 100 meters of coax is wrong. However if 10 meters is achieved you'll be good as new. Reason being as Albert and Steven once mentioned if to above 10 meters you'll lose power through coax.

But if you use rg213 you'll hardly lose any power if running 100 meters true. If running rg58 you'll be sure to lose a hell of a lot of Watts at that length. So keep keep rg58 below 10 meters. I use rgx at 10 meters I don't lose much Watts.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Sat May 30, 2020 11:05 am

Electronically wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:17 pm But if you use rg213 you'll hardly lose any power if running 100 meters true. If running rg58 you'll be sure to lose a hell of a lot of Watts at that length. So keep keep rg58 below 10 meters. I use rgx at 10 meters I don't lose much Watts.
I have a 10m run of this German made cable Aircom Premium :smoke
Aircom Premium.JPG
Outer Jacket PVC black, UV stabilized Ø 10.2mm wall thickness 1.1mm
Maximum Load at 40°C @ 100MHz - 1400 Watt
Attenuation in dB/100m at 20°C - 100MHz 3.6dB

I'm very happy with it :tup

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Brian's new Antenna

Post by Electronically » Sat May 30, 2020 9:44 pm

BriansBrain wrote:
Electronically wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:17 pm But if you use rg213 you'll hardly lose any power if running 100 meters true. If running rg58 you'll be sure to lose a hell of a lot of Watts at that length. So keep keep rg58 below 10 meters. I use rgx at 10 meters I don't lose much Watts.
I have a 10m run of this German made cable Aircom Premium :smoke
Aircom Premium.JPG
Outer Jacket PVC black, UV stabilized Ø 10.2mm wall thickness 1.1mm
Maximum Load at 40°C @ 100MHz - 1400 Watt
Attenuation in dB/100m at 20°C - 100MHz 3.6dB

I'm very happy with it :tup
Good stuff that Brian.

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Sun May 31, 2020 12:17 am

Electronically wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:17 pm if you use rg213 you'll hardly lose any power if running 100 meters
If you consider losing about 80% as "hardly losing any power" then yeah, you're right.