1/2 frequency oscillator doubler without toko coils?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
Bton-FM
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

1/2 frequency oscillator doubler without toko coils?

Post by Bton-FM » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:21 pm

Please could someone suggest a way of doubling a 1/2f vco without using toko coils?

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: 1/2 frequency oscillator doubler without toko coils?

Post by XXL » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:58 pm

Regular air coils but will be an add ache to tune.

Bton-FM
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Bton-FM » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:37 pm

Have you made a doubler like that?

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:48 am

That was the way we always made them! Typically 4 turns at 6mm diameter with a 22p trimmer across it, stretched a bit. The base of the transistor needs to be biased just below conduction, so that the incoming RF nudges it into action. Some folks would couple inductively to the coil, with a couple of turns pushed into the 4 turn coil. The other ways were either to tap the coil for a take-off point, or connect to the collector of the transistor with a few pF into the next stage.

I also used this kind of coil for a tripler to Band II, using a FET instead of the usual BSX20 / 2N2369A.

I'll have a look in the junk pile and see if I can find an old exciter to photograph.

Incidently, if you can't get trimmers any more, you can use a fixed cap of 15pF, 18pF or 22pF, and stretch the coil to tune! It's fiddly, but it works.

Another option - one we're using - is to 3D-print coil formers. We then use aluminium grub screws to tune them.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)