lockdown boredom

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: lockdown boredom

Post by teckniqs » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Made no difference with mine, I am used to using them without the screen connected. I still have one of H***s 1st version originals and still works as good as when I got it over 15 years ago.

surefm
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by surefm » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:50 pm

Using realistic 32-1200b, old mixer but works great, PC running OTS DJ. a****f 5/8 wave , 1.4 SWR. Had no issues before with audio hum.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:05 pm

Yeah that will be what it is, you need to try and get your aerial as far away as possible from that mixer.

Try and move cables around, you might be able to get rid of it but if you can't and if you're in a house and if it's upstairs you need to try and get that mixer downstairs and in the opposite end of the house if you can if you have a long enough wire, or even better if you're streaming just plug a phone into the rig and move the gear downstairs.

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Electronically » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:54 pm

Yup I agree with that if there is a hum. Then you have a swr problem.

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: RE: Re: lockdown boredom

Post by Electronically » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:56 pm

Electronically wrote:Yup I agree with that if there is a hum. Then you have a swr problem. Or check your earth is connected.

Bton-FM
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Bton-FM » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:18 pm

surefm wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:50 pm Using realistic 32-1200b, old mixer but works great, PC running OTS DJ. a****f 5/8 wave , 1.4 SWR. Had no issues before with audio hum.
I got a realistic disco mixer off the carboot about a year back for £2! :D

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:20 pm

Santiago wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:26 pm @wisepranker thank you for taking the time to write that all out and provide diagram, probably ultra simple for someone with your skills but have no tools or time to build anything *you would presume on lockdown I have time but no i have 3 year old twins*
I was hoping there was something on flea bay I could just order and sling up.
also if I use the one of the larger rigs I'll need to step it up to 24v because of the way its wired up which will also loose me time on the battery
This will do the job (12 V):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC12V-Batter ... Swle1dX0LM

I can't find anything suitable for 24 V.

As Teck says, using two batteries in series would be much better, as much of a pain in the arse it is lugging two up there. This is for a number of reasons, in no particular order:
The voltage drop across any practical length of cheap mains cable will be significant, reducing your effective available runtime.
The higher the continuous current drawn from a car battery, the less effective capacity it has for a number of reasons. This again reduces your runtime.
The inverter is lossy which reduces your runtime. The 90% stated is probably not realistic for a cheap one. I presume you mean a 12 V to mains inverter - if so, you'd also then have losses getting back down to 24 V.
The inverter will most likely introduce all sorts of horrible noises over your audio. You could get lucky and find a clean one but I bet you won't first time, as you need a cheap one, and an expensive one doesn't necessarily mean that it won't be noisy. Alternatively you could roll your own in order to guarantee quiet and clean operation but that's getting a bit advanced.

Polecat
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Polecat » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:45 pm

A pure sine inverter is clean but not cheap and you still need the battery(ies). What about a generator? That's clean but maybe a bit noisy.

The best solution may be to stay at home in accordance with govt guidelines lol.
Polecat
No Groove Where I Come From

Polecat
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Polecat » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:58 pm

Just seen you are at home. I should have read the entire thread and not just the last post!

Try separating your audio and mains cables...move audio source and tx away from each other...use separate wall sockets for audio and TX units...wrap and tape tin foil round your leads.
Polecat

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:17 am

Polecat wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:45 pm A pure sine inverter is clean but not cheap
Don't be fooled by the marketing wank. A "pure sine" inverter isn't what it says on the tin.

Polecat
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Polecat » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:33 am

Ay? Even the really expensive ones? Never used one but good to know.
Polecat

Santiago
tower block dreamin!
tower block dreamin!

Post by Santiago » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:08 am

I was thinking more of one of those step up converters the use for cars.. those ones in the little aluminium cases. Tried and inverter years ago and it drained 2 car batteries in about 45mins!

@wisepranker thanks for the ebay listing that's what I'll need then prob what i will use if I can get that little board working if not I might need to wire some batteries together to get the 24v for bigger box,

thanks for all the input guys, great help

NTRRadio
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by NTRRadio » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:40 pm

teckniqs wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:09 am I also bought one of those from polestar on eBay and it doesn't work at all, the frequency won't change UP or DOWN and it just stays 'UNLOCKED' and the screen just flashes when you press 'SET' (lock) and it does nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if yours is like it too, complete waste of time, I will stand well clear of buying anything else from this person ever again in the future.

...Thought that 40 quid was a good price until it arrived, complete waste of money!!!
bought one of them last year ( or year before can't remember ) from that Polestar Guy, whacked a Mitsi 1971 in it and mine worked OK and Locked fine all over the band. Tested it once and put it away have not used it since. In my lockdown boredom I might dig it out and have a play with it again.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:29 am

NTRRadio wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:40 pm
teckniqs wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:09 am I also bought one of those from polestar on eBay and it doesn't work at all, the frequency won't change UP or DOWN and it just stays 'UNLOCKED' and the screen just flashes when you press 'SET' (lock) and it does nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if yours is like it too, complete waste of time, I will stand well clear of buying anything else from this person ever again in the future.

...Thought that 40 quid was a good price until it arrived, complete waste of money!!!
bought one of them last year ( or year before can't remember ) from that Polestar Guy, whacked a Mitsi 1971 in it and mine worked OK and Locked fine all over the band. Tested it once and put it away have not used it since. In my lockdown boredom I might dig it out and have a play with it again.
....Was that on the green board with the etched output coils as swirly tracks on the board?

Santiago
tower block dreamin!
tower block dreamin!

Post by Santiago » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:52 pm

so this board i posted is the RDVV no-tune Rev9 2009?? is that correct?

Santiago
tower block dreamin!
tower block dreamin!

Post by Santiago » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:01 pm

I've found a 15v psu but cannot find my swr meter for love nor money!

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: RE: Re: lockdown boredom

Post by Electronically » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:08 pm

Santiago wrote:so this board i posted is the RDVV no-tune Rev9 2009?? is that correct?
I couldn't comment. but I'm sure Albert once said he had one on his bench looks very similar to yours. He's your best bet to ask.

NTRRadio
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by NTRRadio » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:11 pm

teckniqs wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:29 am

....Was that on the green board with the etched output coils as swirly tracks on the board?
Green Board.

NTRRadio
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by NTRRadio » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:15 pm

NTRRadio wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:11 pm
teckniqs wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:29 am

Green Board. I just botched it together, but I've ordered a proper enclosure for it now, Got a cheap stereo and RDS encoder to plonk in to see if I can make it a fully fledged unit, only the parts I need are taking ages to come.. Bloody lockdown.

Santiago
tower block dreamin!
tower block dreamin!

Post by Santiago » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:51 pm

ok I've got mine to lock, still cant find my meter to check how many watts its giving :( prob going to have to buy another one.... then i guess this is going up a tree