Can you tell me why my signal is worse on the 50 ohm cable than on the coax?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
fmuser877
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by fmuser877 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:14 am

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ET3ryXoWkAE ... name=large
I get about 10 db more on the white coax does anyone think its strange?
but run around 20 to 30 watts power to my dipole.
I had an engineer even solder the plug on as was thinking it would be much better.
SWR is also higher on the thinker cable.

radionortheast
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Can you tell me why my signal is worse on the 50 ohm cable than on the coax?

Post by radionortheast » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:41 am

Do you mean the coax is a difference impedance?, all I think if it is a different length?, they’ll probably be a different capacitance, its capacitors that match the output in your transmitter/amplifier, probably why the loss thing might not be so relevant.

With short runs theres not really any difference between cables with loss, you can still pick all tv channels here on a 20 meter run of cable and with a 24db attenuator between the aerial thats a higher frequency than fm. I think its more of a worry if you're putting lots of power through narrower cables that you might be just be heating them up, thats why you would use a thicker cable, unless i'm wrong. ;)

fmuser877
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: Can you tell me why my signal is worse on the 50 ohm cable than on the coax?

Post by fmuser877 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:51 am

this what I was thinking the RG is 50 meters and the coax only 10 so much shorter and as running small watts but if were running much more watts maybe the RG would be better.

yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by yellowbeard » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:02 pm

Depending on the coax type you could be losing 5 or 6db per 100 feet, wikipaedia has some data, google your coax type if it is not here :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable#Standards