HF VCO design

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
SamTheDog
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

HF VCO design

Post by SamTheDog » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:47 am

Anyone here used a ring of inverters as a VCO on the HF bands.... I have tried it but it's a little too un-stable.

My current HF design uses the MC145163 as the PLL.... with a C-Mos VCO. (1-15MHz)

Cheers.....
Sam The Dog.....

TOR-Radio on FM / Mediumwave and Shortwave
And many moons ago.. WNKR on FM and Shortwave.
info@torradio org / qq22.net / TorRadio.ORG

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: HF VCO design

Post by Albert H » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:07 am

The problem with the "ring of inverters" is all the harmonic crap you get from them all switching away, chasing their tails! I gave up trying to use that type of circuit.

I use a Colpitts VCO, using a BF244 for the oscillator (most other FETs will work), followed by a two-transistor buffer stage. The buffer output provides a few volts p-p to drive the next RF stages, and a nice 5V signal to feed to the PLL. On shortwave, I use one of two PLL circuits - either the discrete 74HC CMOS IC-based type (4060 reference, 4046, 4040 pre-set divider). For quick, cheap rigs, I've used the squarewave VCO in the 4046 as the oscillator, but I prefer the FET and transistor approach to give a nice, monotonic signal. If you want the circuits, drop me a PM!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)