SINUS RDS PROJECT

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: SINUS RDS PROJECT

Post by radium98 » Mon May 16, 2022 12:15 pm

Nice

mixfm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mixfm » Sun May 22, 2022 8:24 pm

friend of mine bought one last week, it came with no software emailed them. nothing any links,,

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun May 22, 2022 11:07 pm

mixfm wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:24 pm friend of mine bought one last week, it came with no software emailed them. nothing any links,,
I am guessing you are referring to the Rigmo version? The SINUS RDS is not for sale! (Well not by me)

As far as i know? The RDS software that i posted on this forum should work? Unless someone has tinkered with it?
I am as stupid as I look! :|

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Fri May 27, 2022 1:42 pm

sinus trouble wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:07 pm
I am guessing you are referring to the Rigmo version?
[/quote]
Can you explain? I do not sale I make only new redraw based from Albert H. schematic . still no tested... I find few mistake but not make new upload. to busy and private problems.. i will soon

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Fri May 27, 2022 11:42 pm

rigmo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:42 pm
sinus trouble wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:07 pm
I am guessing you are referring to the Rigmo version?
Can you explain? I do not sale I make only new redraw based from Albert H. schematic . still no tested... I find few mistake but not make new upload. to busy and private problems.. i will soon
[/quote]

My apologies Rigmo! :)

I just assumed you may have been selling them and i was wrong!

The software is free on here and there is no need for anyone to pay for it! :)

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Sat May 28, 2022 11:07 am

Anyone have an easy diy rs232 to usb converter .I want to play with one later .already have a ready commercial one .

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sat May 28, 2022 11:34 pm

radium98 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:07 am Anyone have an easy diy rs232 to usb converter .I want to play with one later .already have a ready commercial one .
From what i know? The issue is more software than hardware? The COM port traditionally was an interface pre set up by the operating system! Which would carry out its duties and nothing more!

The USB is universal and is more versatile than the COM port!

So to put in simple terms? USBs by default are technically not setup at all! They need driver software to configure its settings before it knows what to do!

I believe you can set a USB as a "Virtual COM port" But i have never tried it?

In which case that method works? You can then trace the "Data lines" on the USB to interface with your RDS! :)

I dunno if anyone else on the forum can elaborate on this?

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Sun May 29, 2022 7:05 am

I don't understand a lot . Maybe we can wait rigmo

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun May 29, 2022 1:29 pm

This RS232 adaptor will work perfectly with the Sinus RDS board, with one minor change - you have to connect the DATA (white) lead to the collector of the data input transistor (you can leave the transistor (Q3) out, but make sure that the resistor (R12) to the 5V rail is installed as a "pull-up"). You have to connect the GND (black) to the circuit ground. You don't need to connect the other two wires.

This is the adaptor I've used successfully:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265636089959 ... 3dd9251067

As you can see, it's not expensive!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by XXL » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:17 pm

i just dug this rds encoder out again. I cant remember if you need to program a hex to the IC first before using the monRDS software.

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:25 am

XXL wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:17 pm i just dug this rds encoder out again. I cant remember if you need to program a hex to the IC first before using the monRDS software.
No!

The HEX configures ALL PICs! And remains in the memory until you manually erase it!

It is not the same thing as RDS Data!

Any RDS text you input will be lost unless you have saved it to the EEPROM

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by XXL » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:11 pm

Albert H wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:29 pm This RS232 adaptor will work perfectly with the Sinus RDS board, with one minor change - you have to connect the DATA (white) lead to the collector of the data input transistor (you can leave the transistor (Q3) out, but make sure that the resistor (R12) to the 5V rail is installed as a "pull-up"). You have to connect the GND (black) to the circuit ground. You don't need to connect the other two wires.

This appears to just be a regular usb cable with the end cut off and some clips added on. But how would you use this to program the encoder if the software is looking for a com port, not a USB port.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:30 am

It's rather more than "a regular USB cable with the end cut off":

You can try that if you want, but you'd be wasting your time. The fat USB plug in the one I recommended contains an FTDI FT232RQ IC (in surface mount) and some resistors, diodes and capacitors. The IC buffers and converts USB to RS232, though only at 5V - proper RS232 voltages are +15V (for a "1") and -15V (for a "0"). These higher voltages were used in early datacomms devices to ensure that RS232 would travel a long way over cables. In some very early gear (back when I first used RS232), the data levels could be as high at +/-25V!!!

If you want proper RS232, you have to use the RS232RQ chip and a MAX232 chip to do the level translation. Things like Serial-Driven PIC programmers (like the "JDM" and "EPIC" programmers I have on my desk here) use the full-fat RS232, and just won't work with the weedy +/-5V version that comes out of most laptops.

The "Sinus RDS" (sort of) RS232 signals use 5V and 0V to feed directly to the PIC, and the software just writes station specific data into the NVRAM area of the pre-programmed PIC.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by XXL » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:34 pm

rigmo wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:04 pm Pleas can you chek it? I make fast smaller board.. i hope is good
Did you ever finish this radium? I need a low noise RDS encoder.

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:21 pm

No xxl .never tried have some real life problems . In electricity and loss of material sorry for that .we encounter sever problem.here from electricity till everything.

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:17 am

XXL wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:11 pm
Albert H wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:29 pm This RS232 adaptor will work perfectly with the Sinus RDS board, with one minor change - you have to connect the DATA (white) lead to the collector of the data input transistor (you can leave the transistor (Q3) out, but make sure that the resistor (R12) to the 5V rail is installed as a "pull-up"). You have to connect the GND (black) to the circuit ground. You don't need to connect the other two wires.

This appears to just be a regular usb cable with the end cut off and some clips added on. But how would you use this to program the encoder if the software is looking for a com port, not a USB port.
Yes! The RDS Software will not recognise USB as a valid port without additional drivers!

You need a "Virtual COM Port" driver which should come with cable that you purchase!

The driver configures your USB as COM1

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:37 am

Also, I dunno what the "Noise" issue is??? :?

I have been testing all my projects extensively and found no serious problems!

In a quick botch setup? I noticed a tiny "Burbling" sound on a silent carrier with the volume full blast!

It could be that you are having some grounding symptoms??

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:30 pm

Your "burbling" shouldn't be there! I use a simple high pass filter at the end of my RDS coder to eliminate any residual noises.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by XXL » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:20 pm

How can I make a high pass filter to stop it ?

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:46 pm

The active highpass circuit I use is just a standard Sallen & Key filter, like this:
56kHz HPF.jpg
You can use either the LM358 or a TL072 with equally good results. This still lets the 57 kHz RDS signal through largely unattenuated, but prevents any sub-harmonic noises from breaking through into the stereo difference signal (in particular).

Incidentally, it's worth learning about Butterworth, Sallen & Key and other analogue filters. They're actually quite easy to design, and can be used for 15 kHz lowpass (essential for stereo), to get rid of turntable rumble from a turntable (a highpass at ~16Hz works really well), and many other functions in broadcasting. Most particularly, I've used them to remove noises in Phase Locked Loop control paths, to give a truly silent carrier, completely free of any residual artifacts from the PLL.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)