starting off.

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Re: starting off.

Post by BriansBrain » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:13 am

LeeCavanagh wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:21 pm
SOTS 87 7 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:56 am
Bton-FM wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:44 pm
Now that's a 'how long is a piece of string?' sort of question. :whistle
Now we are almost up to DAB sound quality here lol. :lol:
Ha, yes, wonder what the frequency range is on this, probably 1khz-2khz
If you used piano wire you could a much better range :tup
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

Undercover Neckz
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Undercover Neckz » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:07 pm

See what I mean?????
This is exactly why I heardly bother coming on here any more, I make one of the most helpful posts this guy could ever get from anyone on here and you just carry on like this.
Bunch of two-bob cowboys!

Bton-FM
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Bton-FM » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:40 am

Sorry for derailing your post kambge, but I had to take that string joke opportunity.

On a serious note I think you need to learn a lot more about radio before you try and put something on.It is by no means going to be a cheap operation! That’s if you can even find a clear frequency in London. The band is rammed and you cannot afford to interfere with another station legal or pirate! A Chinese sprog box won’t do.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:54 am

Bton-FM wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:40 am Sorry for derailing your post kambge, but I had to take that string joke opportunity.

On a serious note I think you need to learn a lot more about radio before you try and put something on.It is by no means going to be a cheap operation! That’s if you can even find a clear frequency in London. The band is rammed and you cannot afford to interfere with another station legal or pirate! A Chinese sprog box won’t do.
Yes let's get back to being the professionals we all are (cough) :whistle

kambge
Do you know of a pirate in the London area you wan't to transmit in with the sort of coverage that you would like.
If so... we might be able to find out what sort of power they run at to make an assumption of the sort of power you will need.

:tup
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:57 pm

Be prepared to throw a lot of money at it to operate semi professionally.

About a grand without the studio gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kambge
ne guy
ne guy

Post by kambge » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:00 am

Sorry been awol the past couple weeks, both soundsystems seized on bank holiday august, was a costly weekend. At least now its full steam ahead with the radio project for the time being.

Bit more info...

We'd like to be broadcasting 24/7, certainly most evenings. Were based in a squat in zone1 london, we've been here 5 months and expect to stay at least another 6-12 months. So we've got a good secure base but that can't be revealed at any cost, so it will have to be a very secure link. I don't think Tgillies yolo option is one for us we'll get clocked pretty sharpish and there's a lot at stake... Do DTI ever come round expecting to smash in doors? Because otherwise it's going to be pretty hard for them to get in...

VPN link sounds like a good idea as well. There's lots of promising locations around I've seen for the link. I'm assuming UHF transmitter's aren't cheap either though...?

Bton-FM
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Bton-FM » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:09 pm

@kambge
Are there actually any frequencies free in central London?

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:33 am

Not really. If you has a couple of kilowatts from a high site, you could flatten one of the Hackney 'mitter men's signals, but be ready for shotgun-toting numpties to turn up to try to steal your gear
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)