Anyone remember radio Britannia?

Discuss & sharing nostalgia relating from the pirate stations of the 60s up to modern day inactive stations.
oldthreads
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Anyone remember radio Britannia?

Post by oldthreads » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Anyone remember it? Sat and sun nights 99.9FM around the Barnsley area? Run by a guy called kenny crescendo I believe. Are they ever still on?

by uksoundz

pirateaddict
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Anyone remember radio Britannia?

Post by pirateaddict » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:39 pm

Bump.. I certainly do.. I listened to him from 1990 and the last time I heard him was probably 2014 or 13...I don't think we'll hear him again tbh as he's probably got a bit too old to mess around like that..I can imagine he's in his late sixties if not seventies.. He played good old records and I remember he did a broadcast on 101.5 which was scr's frequency then but at the time they were off anyway it was such a strong signal as opposed to poor or average signals, he probably did that from Norfolk Park flats in Sheffield where most of the other pirates tx'd from... I've a few tapes knocking about somewhere.. Jeez... I've got kin hundreds of tapes which I keep saying I'm gonna sort out and upload but get nowhere lololol..

Uksoundz
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Uksoundz » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:19 pm

He's on now 99.9FM. Can't literally believe he's still around?

radionortheast
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by radionortheast » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:02 am

Johnny Ball is still around and the doc from back to future! :lol: often people look and seem older than they are specially in a past tense, people used to dress as grandmas which makes them seem much older now when people don't update their style it automatically ages them, just look at the queen she dressed as grandma in the 60's :lol: I used to think 30's was old!, so I bet he was in his 50's when you used to listen to him in the 90's. ;)

PCROSBY
ne guy
ne guy

Post by PCROSBY » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:04 am

What's being discussed here is the FM station based in the Midlands (Sheffield?). The original Radio Britannia (which I think is what Uksoundz is asking about) is the powerful MW station that operated in the Home counties 1969 to 1975. It ran Sunday music programs on 254m and also simulcast on SW for a period. The full story is here: http://www.bookamook.com/kaleidoscope/s ... 1968-1973/

reverend
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by reverend » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:38 pm

I remember Kenny Crescendo on 99.9. Mostly an oldies station if memory serves. I thought, at some point, Radio Britannia applied for a community licence for Barnsley or thereabouts, but that may be https://www.penistonefm.co.uk/?

Rev
if it ain't broke, keep tweaking

uk-pandora
ne guy
ne guy

Post by uk-pandora » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:56 am

kenny, is now broadcasting on good old mw. you find him on 1494 khz. tune in mornings. i used to visit him back in the 90s, and do joint programmes on fm.you use the sdr to hear him.yes we are all getting old iam 69 now. iam steve stjhon.

manvers massive
ne guy
ne guy

Post by manvers massive » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:51 am

Been tuning in to Britannia on for a while now, even when he used 1476khz before. Decent signal here, but we are not a million miles away. Also heard it on one of the Ireland SDR's. Does Kenny still do FM?

uk-pandora
ne guy
ne guy

Post by uk-pandora » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:07 am

99.9 is the fm frequency, but it has not been used ,as am is used more now 1494 khz

radionortheast
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by radionortheast » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:11 am

99.9 has KCFM which is now Greatest hits relay on 99.8 and 97.8 has LDC radio on it, is the other frequency he would use, he could use 100.7 with that transmitter been off air, I suppose ofcom is licensing community stations left right and centre, allowing extensions to coverage, relays popping up. With the low power fm trial they might allow a hospital or something to come on air, a 500watt signal would bust all over it, fm is quite a volatile place up here, their throwing everything at it but the kitchen sink but its not going to work, suppose he is staying away from it.