Seaton Point, Hackney

Discuss & sharing nostalgia relating from the pirate stations of the 60s up to modern day inactive stations.
teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Seaton Point, Hackney

Post by teckniqs » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:15 pm

Sorry if you think this is in the wrong category but this is probably the best place to get the response. :whistle

....I am just wondering if anyone knows why they knocked all the other five Nightingale Estate blocks down but kept Seaton Point??
From memory Seaton Point was the only one of the six blocks that had the big chimney going all the way up the side??

Why didn't they demolish Seaton with all the others??
I just wish they kept all of them so don't be getting me wrong here and think I wanted Seaton gone with them! :tup

Roobru
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Re: Seaton Point, Hackney

Post by Roobru » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:28 am

I think it was because the flats could be done up and would have decent views of the city without the other blocks standing beside it. Believe it or not, some people actually liked living in those blocks and they are worth quite a bit with the views of the capital.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:25 am

I just find it crazy that they come out with some garbage about blocks like these being too expensive to regenerate and it's cheaper to replace them yet they still went ahead and regenerated Seaton.

...Should've made them all Grade II listed like Balfron before going ahead and taking them all down.
Nightingale is one of my all time favourite legendary pirate Estates.

Gigahertz
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Gigahertz » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:33 pm

Don't know if you've seen/read this before Tecks?

http://www.djclockwork.com/

Roobru
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Roobru » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:50 am

teckniqs wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:25 am I just find it crazy that they come out with some garbage about blocks like these being too expensive to regenerate and it's cheaper to replace them yet they still went ahead and regenerated Seaton.

...Should've made them all Grade II listed like Balfron before going ahead and taking them all down.
Nightingale is one of my all time favourite legendary pirate Estates.
I think the thing that you are missing is, a lot of those estates were pretty crime ridden and depressing places to live. If they had just done all the blocks up, it would have stayed the same, where as keeping one and regenerating the area with better housing and security, it has improved the area and made it a better environment for the tenants. I knew a couple of people living on the Nightingale, and it could be a scary place at night. I remember a couple of friends living just off it having their windows shot through one night by stray bullets in the 90's. There wasn't much space to call you own, where as people have gardens and put pride into where they live now. Which was pretty much impossible with the crime and vandalism back then. Most people just want a safe place to live and raise their families. The inconvenience of not being able to put a rig on the 22nd floor means nothing to most people and is a blessing to lots of people living in these blocks nowadays. Making them Grade II would have done nothing for the community in Lower Clapton and if there had been six Balfron's together, they would have knocked five down.