Anyone remember Radioactive FM?

Discuss & sharing nostalgia relating from the pirate stations of the 60s up to modern day inactive stations.
Lozza
ne guy
ne guy

Anyone remember Radioactive FM?

Post by Lozza » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:22 pm

Does anyone remember this station from wayback when (early to mid nineties). It used to rinse happy hardcore (and a bit of DnB) over the weekend. To be fair they did (to my memory) which isn't great lol, sound a bit amateurish. I'm not sure if they were an offshoot, or connected somehow to the happy hardcore station, Dream FM? I used to be able to pick them up in South Woodford, where I used to live, but mainly the signal wasn't great. I had a feeling they where were based in South London? Does anyone remember them or have any info? :tup

netant2000
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Re: Anyone remember Radioactive FM?

Post by netant2000 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:56 pm

I remember them; I was able to pick them up in Billericay. That's a good range if it's the exact station you listened to.

Was it on 90.6 or 90.4? My memory fails to remember

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:11 pm

It was on 90.6 coming from North London ways, about 95/96

.....There was also another Radio Active over in Berkshire/Surrey area on from about 1992 to 1996.

Lozza
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Lozza » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:01 pm

Thanks for that up Techniqs. Well they done alright for reaching Billericay from N. London then I guess. Perhaps not as amateurish as one would believe.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:16 am

There was also a weekend station called Radioactivity in the early 80s from South London - Tulse Hill area as I remember, but they did use a block in Fulham a few times. It was usually on 93.1 MHz (before the BBC R4 repeater came on).
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:00 pm

Albert H wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:16 am There was also a weekend station called Radioactivity in the early 80s from South London - Tulse Hill area as I remember, but they did use a block in Fulham a few times. It was usually on 93.1 MHz (before the BBC R4 repeater came on).
Looks like there was also one in Essex as well, unless it's the same one. I know the guy who did most of the recordings lived in Southend but had great reception from London but he clearly says "Essex Pirate Radio" on his video.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:07 pm

Lozza wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:01 pm Thanks for that up Techniqs. Well they done alright for reaching Billericay from N. London then I guess. Perhaps not as amateurish as one would believe.
Yeah if they were coming from the same block (Peregrine House, Islington) at the time then they should have reached out to you there.

....I remember going up that block about three years after they went off air and I've never seen anything like it in my life!!
The floor in the lift room was completely covered in chopped up pieces of coax, chopped up elements and centre caps, literally coming up about 4 inches all across the whole floor and all over the roof, I ended up taking about 20 old dipole centre-caps home with me that day, the guy's who I was setting up Addiction 95.2 with said it used to be Radio Active's block but it was used many times before that as well (two of the guys used to DJ and MC on there).
Rinse FM 106.8 are up on there now.
There is even a picture of the block on the front cover of The Streets single "Original Pirate Material Lock Down Your Aerial" .

Radio Active was only on from 1995 to 1996 so I doubt they would have had that much DTi sabotage going on during that short time.

....Radio Active came on 90.6 when Pulse FM went off air in Summer 1995. They lasted about a year before Chicago FM 90.6 came on, but I think it might have just been a name-change, I'm not 100% sure about that.

Used to love some of the old samples and crazy jingles on Radio Active 90.6, I think Tony Montana or 'Montana' as he's now just known these days used to run it.

Lozza
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Lozza » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:55 pm

teckniqs wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:07 pm
Lozza wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:01 pm Thanks for that up Techniqs. Well they done alright for reaching Billericay from N. London then I guess. Perhaps not as amateurish as one would believe.
Yeah if they were coming from the same block (Peregrine House, Islington) at the time then they should have reached out to you there.

....I remember going up that block about three years after they went off air and I've never seen anything like it in my life!!
The floor in the lift room was completely covered in chopped up pieced of coax, chopped up elements and centre caps, literally coming up about 4 inches all across the whole floor and all over the roof, I ended up taking about 20 centre caps home with me that day, the guy's who I was setting up Addiction 95.2 with said it used to be Radio Active's block but it was used many times before that as well (two of the guys used to DJ and MC on there).
Rinse FM 106.8 are up on there now.
There is even a picture of the block on front cover The Streets single "Original Pirate Material Lock Down Your Aerial" .

Radio Active was only on from 1995 to 1996 so I doubt they would have had that much DTi sabotage going on during that short time.

....Radio Active came on 90.6 when Pulse FM went off air in Summer 1995. They lasted about a year before Chicago FM 90.6 came on, but I think it might have just been a name-change, I'm not 100% sure about that.

Used to love some of the old samples and crazy jingles on Radio Active 90.6, I think Tony Montana or 'Montana' as he's now just known these days used to run it.
Ha, that's mental!. On youtube, I found their last ever Sunday set. Halfway through, they arrange the sale of their rig setup to a live caller, :D Not sure if it was all staged, but the bloke who called in to buy it sounded legit. Go to 25:47 in the video if anyone is interested:

:tup

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:19 am

Lozza wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:55 pm

Ha, that's mental!. On youtube, I found their last ever Sunday set. Halfway through, they arrange the sale of their rig setup to a live caller, :D Not sure if it was all staged, but the bloke who called in to buy it sounded legit. Go to 25:47 in the video if anyone is interested:

That's not Radio Active mate that is Dream FM, I remember listening to that before it went off in 1997. Willl have another listen though for the memories.
Helped Dream set up a few times as well when they came from Surrey Lane in Battersea, I was only about 16/17.

....Looking on YouTube I managed to find a old set with the two guys (Uplift and DTM, who ran Addction 95.2) on Radio Active 90.6.

Lozza
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Lozza » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:37 am

Ah my bad, sorry about that :smoke Always get them mixed up, lol. Yeah, I have met Steve Uplift and Cris E Manic very briefly. DTM, I was always a fan of him. DTM = Dennis the menace lol. Makes you feel old man :( I love it when heroes upload these old mixtapes, keeping the vibe alive. I used to get Dream FM in South Woodford, but signal was not great to be fair. Addiction FM was wicked and I was a huge fan. Wish I could go back in time and rinse a few raves! :tup :whistle

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:43 am

Yeah they were a couple for a few years, must have been their love for cheesy Hardcore that brough them together.

...Yeah Denis was a legend, spoke to him not long ago after many years. Top fella.

Yeah Dream used to come from SW London and although it covered the whole of London it tended to get a lot weaker towards the outskirts.

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Electronically » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:19 pm

Yea dream fm activefm were dominating the airwaves back in England. it was that bad they both tried to wipe each other out. Didn't matter how much power dream fm had active always came out with the trophy due to his height. The man was remarble.

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk

WEBB-TECH
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by WEBB-TECH » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:55 pm

teckniqs wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:19 am
Lozza wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:55 pm

That's not Radio Active mate that is Dream FM, I remember listening to that before it went off in 1997. Willl have another listen though for the memories.
Helped Dream set up a few times as well when they came from Surrey Lane in Battersea, I was only about 16/17.

....Looking on YouTube I managed to find a old set with the two guys (Uplift and DTM, who ran Addction 95.2) on Radio Active 90.6.

Steve Uplift is a proper legend. Great guy.