past stations and locations

Discuss & sharing nostalgia relating from the pirate stations of the 60s up to modern day inactive stations.
ChazAnthony1982
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:53 am

Re: past stations and locations

Post by ChazAnthony1982 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:51 pm

I drove past Wanstead recently and clocked a single on 1 of the blocks .. this wasn’t the Famous Wanstead Blocks though, this was somewhere else (not going to name)..

Apparently Wanstead comes under Redbridge so is a different Borough to Walthamstow Forest.

I remember a block in Highams Park that was Ontop of a Hill aswell with a phone mast on it. Always thought that woulda been a sick block to use.

As for the wood street thing.. you’ve got that block at the end by forest road and then the block at the top by Lea bridge road and the Whipps round about.

I remember the old Beaumont Blocks behind the swimming pool (Leyton Lagoon) .. all saints tower I believe
Original Pirate Material, it is in the blood !

However we are the Last of a dying breed

User avatar
teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!
Posts: 3020
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 am

Re: past stations and locations

Post by teckniqs » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:12 pm

ChazAnthony1982 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:04 pm


I’m sure years ago the council enforced new security measures on the roofs ?
Yeah and it seems like a lot of other local councils have followed since this happened:


Steve
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:15 am

Re: past stations and locations

Post by Steve » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:27 am

ChazAnthony1982 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:51 pm
I drove past Wanstead recently and clocked a single on 1 of the blocks .. this wasn’t the Famous Wanstead Blocks though, this was somewhere else (not going to name)..

Apparently Wanstead comes under Redbridge so is a different Borough to Walthamstow Forest.

I remember a block in Highams Park that was Ontop of a Hill aswell with a phone mast on it. Always thought that woulda been a sick block to use.

As for the wood street thing.. you’ve got that block at the end by forest road and then the block at the top by Lea bridge road and the Whipps round about.

I remember the old Beaumont Blocks behind the swimming pool (Leyton Lagoon) .. all saints tower I believe
What we call Wanstead flats (the blocks) are actually in Leytonstone and it is Waltham Forest 100%. In reality, The term 'Wanstead flats' actually refers to the local flat land, which covers a massive expanse in the area and parts of that come under Redbridge.

I lived next to the one at Whipps Cross roundabout by the TA for many years, quite a small block. Never see anyone on it or had a look myself despite living right next to it! There were so many better blocks available in that era it seemed pointless. May be a viable option now most of the others are gone!

The Beaumont blocks were nice, never used them myself but knew people that did. They were the 1st in the borough to get Gerda locks was told a pretty impressive alarm system. St Cathrines was one of the blocks, can't remember all the names though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lordunderground
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:43 am

Re: past stations and locations

Post by Lordunderground » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:47 pm

teckniqs wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:12 pm
ChazAnthony1982 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:04 pm


I’m sure years ago the council enforced new security measures on the roofs ?
Yeah and it seems like a lot of other local councils have followed since this happened:

Yes it was Unknown FM and Origin that used this site, even though a small block it used to knock out, later the structure to mount the antenna(s) was removed

User avatar
teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!
Posts: 3020
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 am

Re: past stations and locations

Post by teckniqs » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:12 pm

Lordunderground wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:47 pm
teckniqs wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:12 pm
ChazAnthony1982 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:04 pm


I’m sure years ago the council enforced new security measures on the roofs ?
Yeah and it seems like a lot of other local councils have followed since this happened:

Yes it was Unknown FM and Origin that used this site, even though a small block it used to knock out, later the structure to mount the antenna(s) was removed
Yeah I remember, I took my scanner there in about 2011 or so and pulled out the aerial and had Origin 95.1, Unknown 108.0 and Hightz 87.7 from Hillcrest.

Effemm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:46 pm

Re: past stations and locations

Post by Effemm » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:49 pm

Selwyn Estate in Highams Park was a good choice 👍🏻 Think Dance 93 back then used that one

Few tried it on the blocks on Chingford Hall by the north circular too. All gone now tho

Was a shithole. Still a shithole

ChazAnthony1982
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:53 am

Re: past stations and locations

Post by ChazAnthony1982 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:12 pm

That’s why I’m shocked there isn’t any activity within Walthamstow Forest,

Seems most stations transmit from South Ldn
Original Pirate Material, it is in the blood !

However we are the Last of a dying breed

Lengman
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:42 am
Location: Lengville

Re: past stations and locations

Post by Lengman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:20 am

teckniqs wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:54 pm
Didn't know that Rinse moved to Dagenham but if Dugs said it then it must be true then, this was probably back in the 91.8 days (I remember when rinse first ever came on in late 1994 just pure jungle).
Nah, it was in the darker Garage/early Grime days, 2001-2003.

nrglcb2016 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:04 pm
Conflict fm used a flat in green lanes Dagenham
Yep, it was above a chip shop. They also used a flat in Perry House on the Mardyke and some of the Conflict crew found kiddy porn in the geezer's flat :lol:
I'm giving up on you guys cos you're all gimps

Deadlyuk
ne guy
ne guy
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:01 pm

Re: past stations and locations

Post by Deadlyuk » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:57 pm

Close to Labryinth! It was actually 4 Dalston Lane. Went there a lot in 2003. Squatted building, studio on 3rd or 4th floor. Quite creepy, completely dark staircase with two uninhabited floors between the ground and their floor. Some dogs were loose on the ground floor, some other squatters in the basement and squatters on same floor as Ruuds studio.

Nice people though. Met Chillem, Syrus, Damaja, Blacka, Ishu, Freeze & Quest there.

No idea where the broadcast side was, but I kind of felt it was a way away
Roobru wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:50 am
ofcomhater wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:00 pm
infinityisnow wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 pm


Brilliant. Any more stories like this?! There's too many underground pirate tales that'll never see the light of day if you ask me!!!

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Hats off to DJ Clockwork for going in to town writing up a few of his old escapades. Makes for a good read!! And inspirational stuff to the new generation which won't exist without a kick up the arse from the old headz!!!
I've e got a good few stories of stations that I've played on and dti stories and locations but a few of them are still active so keeping quiet for now lol
Didn't they use the Labyrinth Club in Dalston when it closed down? Syrus was writing a memoire on Facebook ages ago about the trouble they had with location, rig thieves and the history of the station. I knew a few of them, as they used to play live (and occasionally broadcast) from the squat parties in London on friends sound systems.

User avatar
teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!
Posts: 3020
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 am

Re: past stations and locations

Post by teckniqs » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:38 pm

Image

hardscore
ne guy
ne guy
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:49 am

Re: past stations and locations

Post by hardscore » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:06 pm

nrglcb2016 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:04 pm
Freedom FM was above a video shop in rainham again believe this to be again linked up to the mardyke estate, I'm sure that again they also had a studio on the Gascoigne estate and where my relative was living it looked down straight into the studio
pretty correct mate :D

so many different places, at least 4 or 5 studios at the mardyke, linking to the Gascoigne. Somewhere above a shop in Green Lane & then the video shop was more of a off license, linking to the Fiddlers & the other single block down that way. There was a studio at the Gascoigne but it was very temporary, maybe only a few weeks in one of the low-rises - well spotted if it was us :lol:

I found this thread searching for any recordings from the station, any chance you have any tapes or recordings? 8-)

Out of all the years we were on air, the old DJs didnt record or keep many tapes!

https://www.hardscore.com/?cat=317

nrglcb2016
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: past stations and locations

Post by nrglcb2016 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:39 pm

hardscore wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:06 pm
nrglcb2016 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:04 pm
Freedom FM was above a video shop in rainham again believe this to be again linked up to the mardyke estate, I'm sure that again they also had a studio on the Gascoigne estate and where my relative was living it looked down straight into the studio
pretty correct mate :D

so many different places, at least 4 or 5 studios at the mardyke, linking to the Gascoigne. Somewhere above a shop in Green Lane & then the video shop was more of a off license, linking to the Fiddlers & the other single block down that way. There was a studio at the Gascoigne but it was very temporary, maybe only a few weeks in one of the low-rises - well spotted if it was us :lol:

I found this thread searching for any recordings from the station, any chance you have any tapes or recordings? 8-)

Out of all the years we were on air, the old DJs didnt record or keep many tapes!

https://www.hardscore.com/?cat=317

No unfortunately I have no recordings , my tape collection was abandoned years ago 🤦, pretty sure there was more stations across barking / Dagenham but none I know much about

User avatar
teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!
Posts: 3020
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 am

Re: past stations and locations

Post by teckniqs » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:10 pm

nrglcb2016 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:39 pm

pretty sure there was more stations across barking / Dagenham but none I know much about
Anyone remember Shakedown? ....Used to get right over London deep into Surrey pretty well.

nrglcb2016
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: past stations and locations

Post by nrglcb2016 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:36 pm

Shakedown was romford if memory serves me correctly, pretty sure that were sharing with unity 88.4 when they first popped up on the dial, they also was on 87.6 and I think 88.2 at 1 point ( not 100 % though )

User avatar
teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!
Posts: 3020
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 am

Re: past stations and locations

Post by teckniqs » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:53 am

nrglcb2016 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:36 pm
Shakedown was romford if memory serves me correctly, pretty sure that were sharing with unity 88.4 when they first popped up on the dial, they also was on 87.6 and I think 88.2 at 1 point ( not 100 % though )
Yeah when I spoke to someone back in the days about them I was told they came from Barking/Romford ways.
...Without saying too much it makes me wonder if they came from the same place as 106.5 when that was last banging out all over the place.
I think Shakedown also came on 107.7 for a short time around 1995/96.

OK then another one for you ....Indulgence 102.9
(first came on as Chillin' 102.9).

nrglcb2016
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: past stations and locations

Post by nrglcb2016 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:02 am

Again if memory serves me correctly chillin was bubblas station , who was part of the old centreforce crew , not sure exactly in the East end where they were located but the Isle of dogs always dropped into conversation, also remember deja vu was coming out from Bromley by bow as I worked with one of the old djs from there

nrglcb2016
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: past stations and locations

Post by nrglcb2016 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:05 am

teckniqs wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:53 am
[

Yeah when I spoke to someone back in the days about them I was told they came from Barking/Romford ways.
...Without saying too much it makes me wonder if they came from the same place as 106.5 when that was last banging out all over the place.
I think Shakedown also came on 107.7 for a short time around 1995/96.

OK then another one for you ....Indulgence 102.9
(first came on as Chillin' 102.9).
I think your correct 😜 won't mention the block name but 4 stations have used that block that I know off the top of my head 👍, pretty sure it's unusable now though council finally shut em off

User avatar
teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!
Posts: 3020
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 am

Re: past stations and locations

Post by teckniqs » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:49 am

nrglcb2016 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:02 am
Again if memory serves me correctly chillin was bubblas station , who was part of the old centreforce crew , not sure exactly in the East end where they were located but the Isle of dogs always dropped into conversation, also remember deja vu was coming out from Bromley by bow as I worked with one of the old djs from there
Hang on mate one quick second, because there was another Chillin FM on 97.6 in the mid 90s which is the reason Indulgence changed their name, I expect you are thinking of the one that was on 97.6 from East London... :tup

.....As far as i'm aware Indulgence 102.9 came out from Romford.

nrglcb2016
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: past stations and locations

Post by nrglcb2016 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:29 pm

A quick Google search just found a set from DJ bubbler ( spelt his name wrong ) on 102 FM , used to listen to this station quite a lot before I moved onto shine 87.9 , there was quite a gap for me though as I moved north between late 2001 til 2007

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!
Posts: 1911
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:23 am

Re: past stations and locations

Post by Albert H » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:44 am

A couple of station in the 80s used Wood Street, but the gear kept disappearing.

Eventually one of the rigs was fitted with a carefully concealed bit of additional electronics (beneath the exciter). This rig went missing towards the end of a weekend broadcast, and the rig reappeared about eight days later on a block near Blackwall, moved down in frequency, but still putting out the ultrasonic tonebursts. The lads went and collected the rig, and found out that it had been sold to the station by an Italian bloke from Pimlico, who claimed that he'd built the rig.....

There was quite a lot of "recycling" like that going on in those days. The bloke in Mottingham who had a cupboard full of RFM rigs, for example......
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Post Reply