Any pirates in Greater Manchester area?

For discussion of all stations in the UK that are outside of London.
LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Any pirates in Greater Manchester area?

Post by LeeCavanagh » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:32 am

That’s great, I’ve never heard overdrive in all my travels across the north west, I’ve never been south of winsford though.

BlackJake said this

“ Manchester only has one pirate Base fm and by Overdrive soon to use 101.4 mhz, it is hoped that the station will get their Manchester listeners back North and South of the city.”

I still think it read differently than BlakeJake has since shown how he meant it

Whatever happened to Example FM Manchester?
Sony ST 920 QS

pete1015
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by pete1015 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:14 pm

LeeCavanagh wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:32 am That’s great, I’ve never heard overdrive in all my travels across the north west, I’ve never been south of winsford though.

BlackJake said this

“ Manchester only has one pirate Base fm and by Overdrive soon to use 101.4 mhz, it is hoped that the station will get their Manchester listeners back North and South of the city.”

I still think it read differently than BlakeJake has since shown how he meant it

Whatever happened to Example FM Manchester?
i think they mite stream online only nowadays, here's their page but i cant hear anything on it. http://www.examplefm.net/

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:24 pm

Thank you Pete , appreciate the info
All the best
Sony ST 920 QS

Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:17 pm

Since I heard Base at the weekend, I've been tuning fairly obsessively while I'm out to see where I can get it. On the Runcorn bridge it's really quite clear. Along Speke road it comes in and out, although not particularly listenable. South Liverpool is very patchy, but it just about comes through on the hills. If I was on one of those hills with my old setup I'd have no bother listening. I'm in a bit of a dip at home and it doesn't come through at all here and I haven't bothered putting a decent FM setup together as there's little point.

It's a really impressive signal. Not quite what Sound FM had in 2017 though. Theirs was astonishing. It was really clear at my house and, seemingly, everywhere I drove in the north west! Not sure what happened to them. In that short period on 87.7 (or was it 87.5?) they went off a couple of times but came back on shortly after. The last time they went off, there was a tweet "Issues. Back soon" (or very similar) but they never did come back. Still, for Base to be getting to parts of Liverpool at all is really quite something.

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:56 pm

I never caught Sound FM, my hifi was in storage but I would have liked to have heard them, you are the second person who mentioned them to me this week as I had a private message about them over the weekend Are any of those djs on Base?

Did Example Manchester become Base or are they totally different to the two mentioned above?

I feel your pain about being in a dip , I definitely had better radio reception of pirates at my old place, its actually making me think of moving again to higher ground.m (that’s not sad is it?) From the roof of my old house I could see the arndale centre in the distance on a clear day and the Pennines,

Did you ever hear Carousel before they went off air back in the summer it’s stayed off to let Base to their thing. 80s music isn’t to everyone’s taste I know.

Dave near Winsford thinks Carousel should come back on FM , it would of course be on a new frequency if they did.

A lot of anoraks, well the young ones mostly, seem to prefer dance stations or glide past stations that don’t sound like a pirate (all it takes is some loud processing and decent quality music, what can let a station down is if they play low quality mp3”s).
Sony ST 920 QS

radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radionortheast » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:57 pm

I had sound weak back in 2017, some other people in w.yorks had it weak to in the back of the box, better times I could sometimes hear uk raw, nothing else is on 87.5, apart from all the in car transmitters. 101.4 is not a bad frequency, it dose suffer from interference from Today fm during atmospherics, i'm sure smooth radio or whatever it is, turned up their power, it can come up on hills here, it is also on 101.4.

Blackjake
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Blackjake » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:19 pm

I was travelling on my way up from Crewe to Northwich where a friend of mine lives and listened to Base fm on 100.8. Although it was patchy, I got the RDS display as I approached Winsford. Signal was loud in places but still remained patchy into Northwich.

Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:57 am

LeeCavanagh wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:56 pm I never caught Sound FM, my hifi was in storage but I would have liked to have heard them, you are the second person who mentioned them to me this week as I had a private message about them over the weekend Are any of those djs on Base?

Did Example Manchester become Base or are they totally different to the two mentioned above?

I feel your pain about being in a dip , I definitely had better radio reception of pirates at my old place, its actually making me think of moving again to higher ground.m (that’s not sad is it?) From the roof of my old house I could see the arndale centre in the distance on a clear day and the Pennines,

Did you ever hear Carousel before they went off air back in the summer it’s stayed off to let Base to their thing. 80s music isn’t to everyone’s taste I know.

Dave near Winsford thinks Carousel should come back on FM , it would of course be on a new frequency if they did.

A lot of anoraks, well the young ones mostly, seem to prefer dance stations or glide past stations that don’t sound like a pirate (all it takes is some loud processing and decent quality music, what can let a station down is if they play low quality mp3”s).
I don't know anything at all about Base/Example. Base's signal is quite something though. I was in Halewood last week and they were very clear there, they flutter in and out in Hunts Cross and I was listening to them in the Tesco car park on Mather Avenue in Allerton (although they don't get to the rest of South Liverpool much at all). I'm considering getting the tuner and antenna out of the loft to see what I can pick up, although, as I say, I'm in a dip so I think that may be futile. The Eton E5 doesn't get anything at all, although I'm sceptical about how good the FM reception is on it.

I never heard Carousel and it's a shame that they've called it a day, as I think that I would stand a chance in some of the areas that I regularly drive to. I can't get anything on 101.4 around here either, although I regularly tune in when I'm out, just in case!

Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:02 am

radionortheast wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:57 pm I had sound weak back in 2017, some other people in w.yorks had it weak to in the back of the box, better times I could sometimes hear uk raw, nothing else is on 87.5, apart from all the in car transmitters. 101.4 is not a bad frequency, it dose suffer from interference from Today fm during atmospherics, i'm sure smooth radio or whatever it is, turned up their power, it can come up on hills here, it is also on 101.4.
Sound FM's signal was astonishing. Genuinely never heard anything like it. I'd love to know what happened to them. Just a brief tweet saying "issues" and saying they would be back soon and then nothing.

Sound FM was the first pirate I heard when I first moved to Liverpool in 2001. They used to share a frequency (and, I think, a transmitter which they used to link to separately) with Lazer UK. The last time I heard Lazer UK was on 105.9 before Radio City Talk launched. They were on every Sunday for a while but I haven't heard them for years now.

pete1015
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by pete1015 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:29 pm

whats happened to base on 100.8, dead carrier now and no RDS did ofcom pay a visit?

shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by shuffy » Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:16 pm

Nothing to do with the 'com. Audio was restored a few hours later, and back to normal since then.

pete1015
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by pete1015 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:36 pm

to radio overdrive, thanks for the shout out Adrian, by the way i'm using a sirio antenna at the bedroom window to receive you. :tup

Blackjake
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Blackjake » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:07 am

:Message has been past on to Overdrive :tup

pete1015
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by pete1015 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:27 pm

Blackjake wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:07 am :Message has been past on to Overdrive :tup
thanks Jake. :tup

Blackjake
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Blackjake » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:24 pm

Nice to hear Radio Overdrive on 101 4 megaherz fm on Christmas Eve with according to them, a good signal into North Manchester , Bolton Lancashire. They are certainly getting out well here in Crewe. Did anyone else here it?
Black Jake

covidplandemic
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by covidplandemic » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:16 pm

yep first time I’ve tuned in but got a good signal not far from Bolton hospital.
pretty impressive and it was really good to hear a live pirate

Blackjake
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Blackjake » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:34 pm

covidplandemic wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:16 pm yep first time I’ve tuned in but got a good signal not far from Bolton hospital.
pretty impressive and it was really good to hear a live pirate
There certainly are kicking out a good signal then. I'm pleased for Overdrive. I like the live broadcast too. It gives it a good atmosphere like in the old days. I lovethe music too. They have a massive playlist from what i can gather. Also heard MAR on 87.5 and a dance station on 100.8 but not sure of the I'd. No rds. It might be Base fm but I could not clarify it. Maybe you might know

Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Matt » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:33 pm

I caught Panacea on 100.8 near Manchester yesterday afternoon/early evening, with the RDS "Soul", with a decent signal.

I caught them once a week or so ago in/near Liverpool, covering the same patch that Base FM used to when they were on full power. I only caught them the once in the morning, and they were gone by the time I tuned in again in the afternoon.

tvtv
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by tvtv » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:16 am

They have been on non stop at my house.
It’s the only station that does make it to mine these days.

SoundFm
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by SoundFm » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:06 pm

Currently on air:

100.8 Central Radio International. Audio sounds like it’s over deviating.

102.2 Free Radio Liverpool. Mark of Radio Tarkwa currently on air. Not sure where the ‘Liverpool’ comes from when they’re coming from the other side of the water.