MP3 Player recommendations?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

MP3 Player recommendations?

Post by Albert H » Thu May 25, 2023 11:16 pm

Anyone got recommendations of a reasonable quality MP3 twin player that can be set to play single tracks for DJ use?

I have a "Fenton" dual player, but it doesn't have a "single" mode and will just play the entire content of a plugged-in USB memory stick, making it largely useless for studio use. It also plays (completely) SD cards. It was evidently designed for use in pubs and clubs, to play the whole contents of each memory stick. It will do "continuous play" where it will switch to the second player when the first has run out.

I do have a Numark player which does what I want, but it's also a twin CD player, so is both big and heavy.

My plan is to make a "studio in a briefcase" for outside broadcast use. I've built a mixer - two pannable microphone channels (with EQ), two microphone compressors, four stereo channels (for CD / MP3 players and other stereo sources, with outputs for two pairs of headphones, comprehensive PFL, output limiting, automatic voiceover, and LED bargraph metering. I've even included a couple of gram stages in case I feel like transporting a couple of turntables and a box or two of vinyl. The output is fed to a Raspberry Pi with an "Audio Injector" card which runs either DarkIce or Butt to allow streaming out. The only difficult part of the construction was making the front panel, with slots for the faders and for the LED bargraphs. Fortunately, a friend has access to a milling machine, so a couple of hours drilling and milling gave a pretty nice front panel.

If anyone has a good suggestion for a compact, lightweight twin MP3 "single" player, I'd be grateful.

It also occurs to me that someone has used a couple of the cheap Chinese MP3 player modules to achieve this - if so, can you recommend what I need to get, and if there's a nice reliable circuit for this?
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

freddie
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Re: MP3 Player recommendations?

Post by freddie » Fri May 26, 2023 10:00 am

I'm not sure what your budget is in terms of money and time, but I had two initial thoughts - you could repurpose an old Android or iPhone to use as an MP3 player? That way you have more flexibility with the MP3 player software you might prefer. VLC is one example of a very flexible media player.

You could also look into the other Raspberry Pi boards available which you could custom build the way you want it, again you would have the flexibility of building the software to work exactly how you want it. Would the Pico boards be any good?

fmuser877
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by fmuser877 » Fri May 26, 2023 11:40 am

Prob not what you want but I use this one

https://uk.vicedeal.com/products/reteke ... LgQAvD_BwE

But got it for a way cheaper price else where.
I have a longer aerial on it so really boasts the rage out more.
it will cover any large car park or big filed as mine was last weekend at the classic car show.
it takes 32 gig sd cards to. I like the random function on it to.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri May 26, 2023 3:32 pm

Nope - that's not what I'm after. The Fenton thing I have is in a 1U 19" rack case, and has two LCD displays (one for each "deck").

It's close to ideal, but lacks the "single track play" function.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by yellowbeard » Sat May 27, 2023 6:06 pm

Two things: Did you check to see if there are hacks or firmware updates for the fenton? You may not be the only person with this niggle and that's a software issue really. And if it was me I'd go a raspberry pi with rivendell on it or a pair of android tablets epoxied onto a sheet of perspex, portability - you might have to lug this up a mountain after all...

jvok
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by jvok » Sat May 27, 2023 9:06 pm

Maybe not what your looking for but why not just put virtual dj on a cheap lightweight laptop or tablet? If you plug in a usb sound card you can have both tracks sent to separate outputs (one usb and one internal) so you can still mix on the real mixer not on screen

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Sat May 27, 2023 11:31 pm

If you want to use two iphones, i have done that before, there is a good quality player called 'neutron music player', this allows you to play local or networked,or usb etc. also has a built in limiter and expander, eq etc. read the product spec on the app - it has stuff you rarely find on phone apps.
Sony ST 920 QS

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Sun May 28, 2023 12:06 am

This one has single mode, its twin screen, with cue. But the review wasnt great about blutooth range.
Vonyx VX2USB MK2 2 Channel Media Player with Dual Bluetooth Receiver USB SD MP3 Player Mix Output
Or
How about
NewHank MP103 MKII USB Rackmount CD Player MP3 Install 1U Playback
Sony ST 920 QS

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun May 28, 2023 12:34 am

I am not familiar with the "Fenton"

If i was to choose something simple, Lightweight and with "DJ" functionality? I would have to go with a Cheap laptop PC alongside a DJ controller.

The Laptop can hold all your MP3s and usually deal with any other tasks you may need?

Infact! You could operate without an external controller! Free programs like "Virtual DJ" would be satisfactory with some practice. :)
I am as stupid as I look! :|

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun May 28, 2023 12:35 am

LeeCavanagh wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:06 am This one has single mode, its twin screen, with cue. But the review wasnt great about blutooth range.
Vonyx VX2USB MK2 2 Channel Media Player with Dual Bluetooth Receiver USB SD MP3 Player Mix Output
Or
How about
NewHank MP103 MKII USB Rackmount CD Player MP3 Install 1U Playback
The Vonyx thing is the rebadged Fenton that I have. I've take the lid off, and I'm going to photograph the boards, so that I can (try to) identify the ICs. The MP3 players are probably using a fairly standard IC, and I might be able to find the documentation on them - in which case there may be a "single" play mode. Chances are it's going to involve a track cut or bridging a pin logic high or low.... I was hoping to avoid major "engineering" to get exactly what I want from this beast, but if I can get it to do exactly what I want, I'll put the details up here for everyone.

I'm busy drawing the circuits I've used for the rest of the portable studio, and when it's all written up, I'll put it up here. The mixer is reasonably cheap to build and has all the facilities you'd want in a broadcast mixer including microphone compression, "mic on" speaker muting and lamp drive, comprehensive PFL, full metering (with PPM-weighted metering), a telephone balance unit option (for the few who still use POTS), a clean-feed facility for the phone channel (aka "mix-minus" in the USA), an option for mobile phone or Zoom connection and much more!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun May 28, 2023 12:35 am

jvok wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:06 pm Maybe not what your looking for but why not just put virtual dj on a cheap lightweight laptop or tablet? If you plug in a usb sound card you can have both tracks sent to separate outputs (one usb and one internal) so you can still mix on the real mixer not on screen
My Thoughts exactly! :)

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun May 28, 2023 12:46 am

sinus trouble wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:34 am I am not familiar with the "Fenton"

If i was to choose something simple, Lightweight and with "DJ" functionality? I would have to go with a Cheap laptop PC alongside a DJ controller.

The Laptop can hold all your MP3s and usually deal with any other tasks you may need?

Infact! You could operate without an external controller! Free programs like "Virtual DJ" would be satisfactory with some practice. :)
Hi Sinus - I've used the Open Source "Mixxx" from a laptop with some success, but there's issues with the digitisation lag if you're monitoring the microphone channels on headphones.

I'm still a (mostly) analogue advocate, which is why my radio studio is based around an Allen & Heath XB14-2 desk, a couple of Alesis compressor / limiters for the microphone channels, and a homebrew 5-band output limiter with feedforward (using delay lines) to give zero attack time and no "pumping". I use a mix of Rode, AKG and Shure microphones, a couple of SL1210 turntables, a rather nasty Kam dual CD player (soon to be replaced when I can mend my Denon) nad a homebrew telephone balance unit.

I really want to get the portable studio sorted out quickly, since I've got some forthcoming opportunities for external interviews and some coverage of music festivals....
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun May 28, 2023 1:14 am

Haha! Yes the setup i mentioned is certainly NOT my preferred choice!

Give me a pair of Turntables and a decent Mixer all day long! :lol:

Although Digital can be poor quality? Some pre preparation could improve the situation?

Whenever i get spare time? I record my original vinyl real time onto my PC in WAV format.

As you know, This uses HUGE amounts of data!! But captures something close to the real thing?

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun May 28, 2023 5:31 pm

That's why I use either FLAC or AAC. Both have a useful measure of data compression, but don't significantly degrade the final audio.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon May 29, 2023 1:25 am

Albert H wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:31 pm That's why I use either FLAC or AAC. Both have a useful measure of data compression, but don't significantly degrade the final audio.
Those are also great choices! :)

My days of transporting turntables and a box of vinyl are long gone! :lol:

I now use Pioneer CDJ350s with mixer in a custom carry case! The aim is to make setup simple and reliable!

I use two USB sticks Pre prepared with the music i need for that particular event! If those USB sticks were to fail? I carry a small wallet of CDs as back up!

As for the MIC? I generally "Freestyle" Just chat to the audience! If i make a mistake? Its no big deal! :D

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon May 29, 2023 1:38 pm

You're taking much the same approach that I've done.

I've just bought a couple of MP3 player modules that can take either USB memory sticks or SD cards. They cost a couple of quid each from China. Apparently it's quite easy to add LCD displays to these modules to identify track numbers (and ID3 tags), and they have a "single play" mode. I'm going to experiment with them (when they arrive) and I'll put up anything I find out on here. These could make for a cheap and simple approach.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)