Not finished fully repairing my ELENOS ETG1000 yet... but...

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Not finished fully repairing my ELENOS ETG1000 yet... but...

Post by BriansBrain » Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:55 pm

:geek:

In 2019 after I started Brian I made this NRG 1-4W exciter for backup :smoke
NRG Pro3 PLL 1-4w Exciter - Completed.JPG
I never had the need for it, but now my little Tugicom TX180 1W exciter board
has gone a little microphonic causing a hum problem :o

And I have not finished fully repairing my big ELENOS ETG1000 yet :whistle

So..... I'm gonna put the NRG on when I get the chance... :tup
NRG Pro3 PLL 1-4w Exciter on 96.8 @ 2W.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Re: Not finished fully repairing my ELENOS ETG1000 yet... but...

Post by BriansBrain » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:37 am

:smoke

NRG is on Brian's RF shelf
Perfect sound with no hum whatsoever :tup
NRG on Brian's RF shelf.JPG
The linear is actually running at +/- 145W but that meter gets hot inside after 10 min
and the power measurement goes down to +/- 120W, note the low SWR :whistle
Brian's Power + SWR meter @ 145W.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:58 pm

BriansBrain wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:37 am :smoke

NRG is on Brian's RF shelf
Perfect sound with no hum whatsoever :tup
NRG on Brian's RF shelf.JPG

The linear is actually running at +/- 145W but that meter gets hot inside after 10 min
and the power measurement goes down to +/- 120W, note the low SWR :whistle
Brian's Power + SWR meter @ 145W.JPG
ZETAGI peace of shet.. need anther PCB swr coupler... thy us 1n4148... jesus !!! nice outside look but inside is almost complete shit , do not trust this gadgets. diawa also...

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:23 pm

rigmo wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:58 pm ZETAGI peace of shet.. need anther PCB swr coupler... thy us 1n4148... jesus !!! nice outside look but inside is almost complete shit , do not trust this gadgets. diawa also...
I only use those cheap nasty meters for approximate readings :smoke

BTW:
I tried the DAIWA CN-901HP SWR-Power Meter against my Bird 4304A
The Forward power reading always goes down after +/- 2min the diodes must be getting warm :lol:
DAIWA CN-901HP Meter Error.jpg
BUT the Reflected is +/- spot on :tup

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:26 pm

Do you sure about Diode.. perhaps PCB design and anther elements get warm. etc.. do you ever open coupler, I open mine but i do not know where is photos.?

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:44 pm

rigmo wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:26 pm Do you sure about Diode.. perhaps PCB design and anther elements get warm. etc.. do you ever open coupler, I open mine but i do not know where is photos.?
From DAIWA CN-901HP Forward Power Displayed Decreases
Link > viewtopic.php?t=2243
Albert H wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:52 pm It's NOT designed for continuous use!!! It's designed to be used just to check the antenna match and check the forward power (approximately) on a Ham transmitter - which is (usually) just transmitting with a very low duty cycle!

You can be sure that the diodes in the Breune Bridge inside the instrument are warming up and so it will then begin to display anomalous values.
:tup

Marcel
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Marcel » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:50 am

The only good method to measure the output power is a mw meter with an attenuator, Bird is nice especially the 4410A but it is and remains an indication.

I have sometimes measured various (built-in) vswr bridges of buget meters with a vector network analyzer, but nothing seems to be correct, logical that if you put some power on it that it gets warm and the meter starts to act strange and/or burns out.

Marcel
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Marcel » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:37 am

Bird 43 Bridge return loss 80 to 120 MHz.

The old analyzer used is not very suitable for measuring very small losses (Yellow trace) has too much trace noise.

You certainly don't have to try this with a Siglent, Nano, Rigol VNA or an SA with TG as you will only see noise.

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:53 pm

Marcel wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:37 am Bird 43 Bridge return loss 80 to 120 MHz.

The old analyzer used is not very suitable for measuring very small losses (Yellow trace) has too much trace noise.

You certainly don't have to try this with a Siglent, Nano, Rigol VNA or an SA with TG as you will only see noise.
There are several things you can do to improve things. Unfortunately I can't see the middle section of the grey bar at the bottom of the screen in the picture well enough to be able to read what you've got your IFBW set to but first you can decrease it. I believe those E5062s go down to 1 Hz.

I haven't got such a nice modern network analyser, I've got a much older HP 8712 and can only select between a few predefined IFBWs.

I connected a short cable between the Reflection (S11) port and the Transmission (S21) port, pressed PRESET and then pressed CAL and did a S21 calibration. Without touching the short cable, I ran a single sweep. With default (preset) settings, the IFBW is set to 4 kHz. Trace as follows:
1.JPG
Not particularly good but probably not bad for a 90s instrument that hasn't been calibrated since the mid-2000s. Note the vertical scale is also set to 50 mdB/div like yours for S21.
Sorry for the crap pictures, the camera doesn't handle the brightness difference between the graticule and trace very well and I can't adjust the graticule brightness relative to the trace on this analyser. And I've lost my GPIB adaptor.

Leaving the short cable in place and reducing the IFBW to 15 Hz, gives the following once another calibration has been run (S21 cal only):
2.JPG
We can improve things further by increasing the number of points. So far, I've been using 201 points. Increasing to 1601 points, and re-running the cal:
3.JPG
You might argue that the 1601-point trace is significantly noisier than the 201-point trace and I'd agree, but you could go and low-pass filter the trace in post-processing.

You could also turn on averaging, which does improve things somewhat. I didn't bother taking a picture of the whole screen as you can't really tell the difference, but what I did to demonstrate that you can see an improvement, albeit approaching diminishing returns, is to save the previous trace to memory and set it to display the memory trace at half brightness behind the active trace. Here's a close-up:
4.JPG
It looks like the trace might be out of focus or have a slight shadow but that's not the case, look at the vertical scale which is quite crisp in comparison.

Of course, running at least 4 averages, plus a cal sweep, at 1601 points and 15 Hz IFBW takes a while!
I also learned something today - if you leave averaging on when you run the cal, it will average however many traces you set for averaging when doing the cal too. I let it run like this for 4 cal traces and at least 8 measurement sweeps - the whole thing took about 15 minutes to sweep, but gave quite an improvement! Comparison below:
5.JPG
There's some absolute drift which is probably thermal drift as the analyser hadn't been on for long. Note that I have expanded the scale to 10 mdB/div in the last image, shown above. I find this quite impressive performance especially since the span is the full analyser range (300 kHz to 1.3 GHz) and not just the FM band.

Another thing I think you can do on the new-fangled analysers (but haven't got one to check) is to do what a lot of spectrum analysers can do and that is peak hold, and some signal analysers can do min. hold as well. The min and max traces would give you error bars and you could say quite comfortably that the reality is somewhere in the middle with a standard distribution.

I'll leave the analyser on sweeping for a few hours and see what happens. With the brightness turned down to the minimum of course! :tup

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:20 pm

After 1 hour:
6.JPG
After 2 hours:
7.JPG
Note that I had to reduce the scale to 20 mdB/div to fit the trace on the screen after 2 hours. I've got to say, I'm very surprised that the thermal time constant is as long as it appears to be - I highly doubt that even after 2 hours that it is stable, 4-6 hours might be a realistic estimate. :shock:
It's worth bearing in mind though that the demands of such an instrument are very, very high - we're looking at a maximum range of 0.08 dB on an instrument with a dynamic range in the order of 140 dB across a bandwidth of 1.3 GHz. That's impressive on its own, not even considering the performance of more modern units.

Marcel
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Marcel » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:20 pm

thewisepranker look at this.

Regards,
Marcel

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:57 pm

Why do I need to watch this video? You complained about lack of resolution and problems with noise so I offered up multiple suggestions of how you can better exploit your equipment for the measurement you're trying to make.
The video is marketing wank designed to justify the migration from an older type of VNA to the most recent (at the time) product that they had to offer, so obviously they've got to point out that everything is superior and I don't disagree - the ENA range is very good. I've used them for EMC measurements and have seen them achieve a dynamic range just shy of 140 dB, not including the extra 20 dB that they can handle on top of the 0 dBm reference. In fact I from memory I think it might be a bit more, +25 dBm? Either way, it's very impressive for the price.

I don't recall saying anything that disagrees with the comparison with what is the very nice but heavy 8753 (I've got lots of experience using one in the -E variety and it's got a special place in my heart, especially with the colour CRT which is very pleasing to look at) and the ENA series of network analysers, which I've also got a lot of experience with. It's a very nice VNA. The 8712 that I've got is demonstrably inferior to the former and significantly inferior to the latter but it's what I've got.

Although newer generations of equipment tend to perform measurements faster than previous ones, the fundamental issues still exist. Prove me wrong. Set your E5062 to a lower IFBW and a higher number of points, rerun the cal and report back.

PS - no network analysers are immune to thermal drift.

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:15 pm

I left it running all night with the screen turned off, recalibrated it this afternoon and let it run for a while. It's pretty stable now, again at 10 mdB/div.
8.JPG
The memory trace is the same one from my previous post for comparison.

Marcel
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Marcel » Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:51 pm

You are right and the result is quite good, but I also want to have speed so that I can almost immediately see which way to go.

Also have a few years old ENA Keysight analyzer of the new generation and that thing is really a lot faster.

Start 300 kHz stop 3 GHz.
S21 Log Mag 10.00mdB.
IFBW 10 Hz (No Smooting or Averaging).
Response Thru.
Points 1601.