5/8 WAVE VERTICAL FM ANTENNA

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
zulu53
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

5/8 WAVE VERTICAL FM ANTENNA

Post by zulu53 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:34 am

Hello Necks!
A friend of mine was suggested to use an A***F, 5/8 Wave 2KW vertical FM Antenna for his 600W FM transmitter.
I would appreciate your opinions about that and your suggestions on a cost benefit antenna suitable for 1KW, to be on the safe side.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: 5/8 WAVE VERTICAL FM ANTENNA

Post by Albert H » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:55 pm

Really don't consider any A***F gear - it doesn't work.

What kind of coverage does your friend want to get? Does he want to radiate equally in all directions, or can he shape the coverage to aim for centres of population?

The projected coverage area determines the kind of antenna that will work best: I used a very high site to the South of London, and wanted to get a signal into most of London. There was no point in broadcasting southwards - to sheep and trees - so I decided to use an aerial with a hemispherical radiation. I used an "H" to start with - a 2-element Yagi - which steered the signal northwards, and provided some worthwhile antenna gain: more power towards the coverage area at little expense! My next antenna - which gave even more signal for the same transmitter power - used stacked "H" aerials. Once the phasing harness was tweaked, the signal was colossal. There was some "spill" southwards, but >95% of the signal was heading towards the area I wanted to cover!

Really do your research. Consider the use of "stacked" aerials and directional aerials to enhance your signal....
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: 5/8 WAVE VERTICAL FM ANTENNA

Post by LeeCavanagh » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:14 am

Colinear dominator is good with high gain and onmidirectional, high power too
Sony ST 920 QS