COMREG (Ireland) Spectrum Intelligence & Investigations

Radio related FOI responses by Ofcom to be posted into here for reference & discussion!
Persona Non Grata
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

COMREG (Ireland) Spectrum Intelligence & Investigations

Post by Persona Non Grata » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:35 pm

https://www.comreg.ie/media/2022/11/ComReg-2294.pdf

An annual report from COMREGS's "Spectrum Intelligence & Investigations" Page 32 and onwards deals with pirate radio.

jvok
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: COMREG (Ireland) Spectrum Intelligence & Investigations

Post by jvok » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:12 pm

Lmao at those sovereign radio pics. That must be the most sketchy attempt at a rig I've ever seen

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:19 pm

Very interesting document, thanks for sharing - I found page 24's case study quite funny :lol:.
FM for lyfe!

Persona Non Grata
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Persona Non Grata » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:53 pm

Not as funny as the Airport which complained of interference and the source of the interference turned out to be...the airport in question.

Seemingly one of their radios had a faulty PTT switch.
Lmao at those sovereign radio pics. That must be the most sketchy attempt at a rig I've ever seen
Looking back at photos at old Irish MW/SW stations I was always amazed at what appeared to the standards (or lack thereof) of transmitter construction. Basically a load of high voltage components just laid out on the floor. It was only recently that somebody explained it to me. The idea was that in the event of a raid it could all be quickly broken down into a pile of unrecognisable junk (with the most valuable parts hidden) so that by the time the P&T (COMREG's predecessors) had hammered down the door/s there wasn't really much of a transmitter left to take.

Persona Non Grata
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Persona Non Grata » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:03 pm

Not as funny as the Airport which complained of interference and the source of the interference turned out to be...the airport in question.

Seemingly one of their radios had a faulty PTT switch.
Looking back at photos at old Irish MW/SW stations I was always amazed at what appeared to the standards (or complete lack thereof) of transmitter construction. Basically a load of high voltage components just laid out on the floor. It was only recently that somebody explained it to me. The idea was that in the event of a raid it could all be quickly broken down into a pile of unrecognisable junk (with the most valuable parts hidden) so that by the time the P&T (COMREG's predecessors) had hammered down the door/s there wasn't really much of a transmitter left to take.

jvok
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by jvok » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:43 pm

Persona Non Grata wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:53 pmLooking back at photos at old Irish MW/SW stations I was always amazed at what appeared to the standards (or lack thereof) of transmitter construction. Basically a load of high voltage components just laid out on the floor. It was only recently that somebody explained it to me. The idea was that in the event of a raid it could all be quickly broken down into a pile of unrecognisable junk (with the most valuable parts hidden) so that by the time the P&T (COMREG's predecessors) had hammered down the door/s there wasn't really much of a transmitter left to take.
Obviously didn't work out for sovereign though