Nrg

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
kevycorsa
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Nrg

Post by kevycorsa » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi
Does anyone know Where could I find the nrg pro 3 pcb

kevycorsa
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Re: Nrg

Post by kevycorsa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:54 pm

And going along the lines of nrg I have a 40w nrg amp 1w input type and can't get no output at all
I've changed the 2sc1947
Any ideas where to start ?

nrgkits.nz
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by nrgkits.nz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:42 pm

I did have some pro4 boards but have just recently run out of stock, I'm considering if I get some more of the pro done, if I do they will be double sided and I'll be more inclined to go SMD. Have you got access to an analyser and scope? It could be that the BLW60 output device is faulty or some other components. I have the pro5 out now, it uses a pll ic and a pic and delivers a minimum of 5 watts across the band, this design uses an at frequency oscillator with screening, spectral purity and phase noise is very good.

yellowbeard
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by yellowbeard » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:12 am

Those PCB's turn up on fleabay occasionally, a couple of years ago some guy in Slough was selling them on there for £12 or £15 - might be worth seeing if he still has them, according to the entry he only sold 1 of the three he had.

Code: Select all

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222018596438
I have seen knock offs from Romania and Indonesia, but I don't know if the boards or the vendors would be kosher.

nrgkits.nz
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by nrgkits.nz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:23 am

Just be careful buying full kitsets from various vendors, some of the components in the pro3/4 are quite critical - I've had a few boards sent here for repair because the vendors had no idea. Albert has provided a lot of valuable information on these forums. One example of a board I had for repair was the oscillator coils not wound properly and the BF199 transistors not HFE matched causing a real imbalance and a lot of half freq to break through. The enamel wire used to wind RFC1 wasn't the correct gauge (was too thin) causing unwanted resistance and heat, hence reduced output power. Some of the ceramic disc capacitors were not the NPO 5% or better tolerance types so caused further issues.

shorty
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by shorty » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:20 am

If you want to have a go at making your own board, this is a scan of an original pcb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nrgkits.nz
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by nrgkits.nz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:33 am

Here are the manuals and some more scans I did some time back. I'll upload some sprint-layout and gbr files there later.

http://www.gareth.net.nz/nrgdocs/

nrgkits.nz
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by nrgkits.nz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:07 am

Here are the gbr files http://www.gareth.net.nz/nrgdocs/nrg/

I would recommend doing this double sided with through hole plating and additional vias connecting the ground planes, better stability and slightly more power out. Remember to take note of the most critical components and make sure they're done properly. The oscillator is balanced and needs to be symmetrical as much as possible, the oscillator coils are 5mm inside diameter and need to be aligned, if they are out of alignment you will get more half freq breaking through to the output.

RFC1 is 15 turns of 0.3mm copper enamel wire, around a 2k2 1/2w carbon film resistor with a ferrite bead on either side.

TR2 and TR3 must be HFE matched to within +/-1, BF199 or MPSH10 will do.

The ceramic disc capacitors (especially around the oscillator) need to be 5% or better, if 5% is not possible you can use other's but they will need to be individually tested to get a values as close as possible, with matched pairs in the oscillator.

kevycorsa
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by kevycorsa » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:57 pm

There's a lot of good info here.
I only asked about a pcb as the one I've got the 1947 has been replaced a few times over the years and the trace is starting to go.
But I've repaired it and got it working.
About the 40w amp I've now got an output of around 14w max with 1w input an amp at 12v.
Trimmers adjusted till highest output am I doing somthing wrong ?

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:33 pm

Yes, not putting in enough drive. 14w sounds about right for 1w in, but you need at least 4 to 8w for 40w

MiXiN
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by MiXiN » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:48 am

yellowbeard wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:12 am
Those PCB's turn up on fleabay occasionally, a couple of years ago some guy in Slough was selling them on there for £12 or £15 - might be worth seeing if he still has them, according to the entry he only sold 1 of the three he had.

I have seen knock offs from Romania and Indonesia, but I don't know if the boards or the vendors would be kosher.
Those boards off AndrewKits were really good.

I had a couple a while ago & found them much better quality & easier to solder than the legit' boards.

nrgkits.nz
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by nrgkits.nz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:24 am

MiXiN wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:48 am
yellowbeard wrote:

I had a couple a while ago & found them much better quality & easier to solder than the legit' boards.
He copied a few minor upgrades I did to the pro3 back in 2013 - then Andrew started selling copies of my pro4 pcb shortly after. I'm assuming you mean "legit boards" being the original pro3 boards - the pro4 boards I had done were of a high standard from circuitlabs.co.nz. Funny that he still has boards left though and I have sold all of mine.

Here is the new pro5 - this uses a PIC and some proprietary components so will be more difficult to copy
http://nrgkits.co.nz/product_info.php?p ... d0on0naa46

kevycorsa
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by kevycorsa » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 am

teckniqs wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:33 pm
Yes, not putting in enough drive. 14w sounds about right for 1w in, but you need at least 4 to 8w for 40w
It's the 1w input version ?

MiXiN
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by MiXiN » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:03 am

nrgkits.nz wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:24 am
MiXiN wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:48 am
yellowbeard wrote:

He copied a few minor upgrades I did to the pro3 back in 2013 - then Andrew started selling copies of my pro4 pcb shortly after. I'm assuming you mean "legit boards" being the original pro3 boards - the pro4 boards I had done were of a high standard from circuitlabs.co.nz. Funny that he still has boards left though and I have sold all of mine.

Here is the new pro5 - this uses a PIC and some proprietary components so will be more difficult to copy
http://nrgkits.co.nz/product_info.php?p ... d0on0naa46
I only had the Pro 4 board from AndrewKits & never actually got my hands on the original Pro 4 board, so my apologies about what I wrote above.

What I meant is - the Pro 4 knockoff board is much easier to solder & of higher quality than the original Pro 3.

That Pro 5 you sell looks pretty smart.

yellowbeard
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by yellowbeard » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:33 am

I found this, is it the amp you are on about? He seems to have used Gareth's pictures :oops: , but he has the parts list and PCB photomask too.

http://mkmbroadcasting.blogspot.com/search/label/nrg%20kit%20Blw%20amp%2045watt

kevycorsa
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by kevycorsa » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:07 pm

https://www.mediafire.com/view/1a6z7921 ... 151007.jpg

That's a picture of the amp.
At 1w drive and 13.8v to amp I can get around 14w max

sinus trouble
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by sinus trouble » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:32 pm

Hello Mr Corsa
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, You have very little chance of finding the fault without test equipment!
However I do have original NRG gear here that I purchased from Stephen over 10 years ago and have never had a transistor fail! Even when I cocked up big time!! lol
Infact the only fault ive had was a 10v electrolytic fail in the lock delay circuit on a PLL PRO 3! Any ceramic caps in circuit are pretty much bullet proof!
Electrolytics can degrade and could possibly be the route to your fault?
I see you have a SMPSU which raises alarm bells for me! Those things can trick you into thinking everything is fine! But once they try to pull current, voltage slumps!
My suggestion would be to power each section via a bench power supply if you have one available?
I am as stupid as I look! :|

nrgkits.nz
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by nrgkits.nz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:20 pm

yellowbeard wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:33 am
I found this, is it the amp you are on about? He seems to have used Gareth's pictures :oops: , but he has the parts list and PCB photomask too.

http://mkmbroadcasting.blogspot.com/search/label/nrg%20kit%20Blw%20amp%2045watt
Yup those are my pictures, I still have the amp. I redesigned the pcb for this and added better low pass filtering on the output, with 5watts input I'm getting about 45w out at 13.8v supply.

I had a BLW60 I hadn't bolted down to the heatsink properly once, only realised when I started seeing a tiny bit of smoke starting to drift upwards, I turned it off immediately and bolted it down properly although it never gave full power out after that, I could only ever get about 35w out after cold power on and it would die back to about 20w and settle there after a few minutes.

I've also found with the 1w input version the 1947 will get quite hot, if you haven't got access to test equipment, I would be looking at the heat given off by the 1947 for an indication - if it's only warm to the touch then it's obviously not driving the BLW60 properly, or there's not sufficient drive to the 1947. If it is quite hot then you need to look at the LC matching networks.