Radio Brian's Solar Panel Installation has started

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Radio Brian's Solar Panel Installation has started

Post by LeeCavanagh » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:14 pm

Something tells me if nasa can send that satellite to touch the corona of the sun and still get data back then they can go pretty high in temps , at least some. (although they do use a heat shield it still get bloomin hot). Worth knowing though, that some degrade, can you automatically turn on a sprinkler system when the heat gets over a threshold…. :)
Sony ST 920 QS

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:42 pm

LeeCavanagh wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:14 pm Can you automatically turn on a sprinkler system when the heat gets over a threshold…. :)
YES :tup

That automatic system would be me with the hosepipe :lol:

BTW: I have ordered one one of those Infrared Laser Temperature Meters
So I can get some readings from the surface ;)

I have just been up on the roof now @ 4:40 to open the doors wider to get some draft through
as a matter of interest I put my hand on a panel, I can cope with the heat for about 8 seconds :whistle
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:56 pm

Albert H wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:52 pm How are you going to use the power? The batteries you'll need will be incredibly expensive.....
OK mate...... I will reveal the secret :whistle
BTW: You are correct incredibly expensive :cry:

I have one of these at the moment but I'm planning for more :tup

Pylontech 48V lithium battery US3000C 3.5kWh]
Capture.JPG
:mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:49 pm

:smoke

The Solar input panel Meters arrived today :whistle
Solar Input Panel - Rear.JPG
Solar Input Panel - Meters.JPG
I'm getting there :tup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:56 pm

Testing the 3.5kWh Pylontech Battery :whistle

Specs say Nominal Capacity (Wh) = 3552
With a Usable Capacity of 95% (Wh) = 3374
Therefore with a usable power 3374W / 1000W = 3.37hrs -or- 3:22

On test with a Full Charge from Solar and with a 1000W resistive load...
and...
1)- A setting of Battery voltage point back to utility @ 48V it did 2.35hrs -or- 2:21 = 2350W = 66.2% of Capacity
2)- A setting of Battery voltage point back to utility @ 47V it did 3.12hrs -or- 3:07 = 3120W = 87.8% of Capacity

I'm happy with 87.8% it means it will last just that bit longer :tup
Batt out on test.JPG
Panel Batt @ 1kw Test.JPG

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:41 pm

Nice.

It's tempting to keep running them to a lower cutoff voltage but an exponentially decreasing amount of energy is available as you do so, because the voltage drop is not linear over time with a constant load.

Here's some curves of a battery I tested (admittedly it's lead-acid but it's still the same story regarding the droop) at a constant 2 A, with a cutoff limit of 10.6 V. The battery voltage is shown in blue (left axis) and the integral (in Watt hours) is shown in orange and uses the right axis. X axis is in seconds.
1.JPG
It's subtle on this scale but the orange curve is trending towards the horizontal, which makes sense as it's V x I x t and there's exponentially less of the unit V available as t increases linearly and I is constant.

Here's an image with a linear trajectory put on the top of the orange line to make it a bit more obvious:
2.png
The point is that in squeezing more out, you approach the damage limit very quickly for very little extra energy extracted.

I think about 85-90% of the nameplate capacity is a realistic and good figure to achieve. I this example the test lasted for about 47.2 hours until the cutoff circuit kicked in, at a constant 2 A, giving a real capacity of 94.4 Ah, with the nameplate stating 120 Ah, so just under 80%. I was happy with it at the time and still am.

I could have just found a curve on Google and pasted in but I thought it'd be nice to show some real-world results.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:16 pm

thewisepranker wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:41 pm I think about 85-90% of the nameplate capacity is a realistic and good figure to achieve.
For a Lithium battery true :tup

Like it says in the DataSheet
Depth of discharge (%) 95
+
Cycle Life >6,000 25℃
Pylontech 48V 3.5 kWh US3000C.JPG
thewisepranker wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:41 pm I could have just found a curve on Google and pasted in but I thought it'd be nice to show some real-world results.
Excellent stuff - I love graphs charts :whistle

ronald001
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by ronald001 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:20 pm

Free tip: Use a couple of these babies in series!

https://www.nkon.nl/rechargeable/lifepo ... grade.html

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:39 pm

ronald001 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:20 pm Free tip: Use a couple of these babies in series!

https://www.nkon.nl/rechargeable/lifepo ... grade.html
Free tip for who ? :whistle

I already have a Pylontech 3.5kW and I am planning more :tup

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:50 pm

Then there was two :whistle
Two X Pylontech 48V 3.5 kWh US3000C.JPG

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:21 pm

I've had to change the Solar Panel layout because of the shadow the water tower casts in the Winter.

I hope the all day results will be as good as expected.
Solar Panels New Layout-1.JPG
Solar Panels New Layout-2.JPG
Solar Panels New Layout-3.JPG
:tup