any thread on layout inside a case?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
yentzee
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

any thread on layout inside a case?

Post by yentzee » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:53 pm

Hi,
I am in the process of putting a transmitter inside a 19 inch 1 hu case to go in my studiorack to be abe to send the signal to other rooms. The case i completely made of metal and I thought of getting the signal in and out using d type connectors for audio as well as a bnc one. The transmitter, cheap chinese bh1417 transmitter ic, takes 5V which I thought to deliver using a meanwell psu that delivers 5V and 3 amps which I still have lying around. From what I read this is like the worst option I could choose (I have to say the sound is alright) due to harmonics. I don't know how much of an issue this is when used inside a flat of a densely populted area. I am not living in London anymore so I doubt that here is a team that just deals with this. If there is a chance of me messing up airplane or emergency transmissions, even being inside the flat I would use something else.
I am open for suggestions on alternative options but at the moment I don't have time to etch boards or do any other complex stuff. Doing a kit would be an option or buying the whole thing but I don't want to spend too much.
I was wondering if there is a thread on how to layout the components inside the case to prevent interference etc.
Also when shielding the components to each other will it be fine to use a can I cut, bent and and screw to the baseplate (using dibond as baseplate for easy access and as it is great to work on) and would it be a problem to have some other stuff inside the case (using a cat 6a cable from my dj setup to my audiointerface as it allows to transmit balanced audio and is super cheap, I would like to put the connector that I grab the signals from in there as well and use 2 xlr sockets to get the audio out into my interface instead that shitty little plastic case I did a year ago.
I don't have any experience regarding hf technique. Would it be better to use a higher Voltage PSU and regulators to get the 5V needed?
Thanks for helping

mpx
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: any thread on layout inside a case?

Post by mpx » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:25 am

I recommend using a transmitter with a better chip such as QN8066.

This video is very informative

radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: any thread on layout inside a case?

Post by radionortheast » Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:45 pm

I think I have seen bh kits that do 500mw, you are problably better off with one of the 8066 7w transmitters, you run them at 5v, or disable the output transistor route the signal throught the filter on the board, it will do about 100mw that way, its better to check using an ic r2 scanner for spurs, if you wanted to be extra careful.
You can get cz, norofin 7w transmitters run at 1w, using the screw in the antenna at the back, I found that using the antenna at the back on the norofin, limited the range, interference, to near the unit, it didn’t produce spurious. Think the problem with cheaper transmitters is when you go to connect up a big anttenna using coax, you can get all kinds of spurs appearing rf feedback problems between the transmitter and the rf, ajustments to the output filtering will needed to get rid of them, reduce the level of them.
The 8066 is quite a wonder, you get good stereo sound from it, some say its too quiet if your using in home you can use stereo tool to make it louder. if you bypass the 5v regulators ajust the green trimmer you can get it to come on at 5v, depending on what its powered by it can almost go to watt, with the inbuilt sd card, you have a mini self contained transmitter, something that can work off batteries, even small solar panels in direct sunlight. The only problem with the 8066 chip is it produces white noise across the fm band, while its perfectly fine to use around a house at 100mw, when you amplity it you are amplitfying the white noise, even at 1w, it can knock out most other radio stations within 5-7 meters of the antenna, so if you were close to your neightbours it might abit of worry. I think its true than all ic all in one transmitters produce noise, 8066 is considered better because the carrier is less wide and it dosen’t produce any dublicates in the fm band, anything your ic is producing in the fm band is going to be impossible to get rid of, specially if it is closer to the main signal afew mhz.