Jesus, you guys really know

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
yentzee
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Jesus, you guys really know

Post by yentzee » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:24 am

Hi,
I just started experimenting with the transmitter and I am absolutely amazed how super sensitive that whole system ist. Building eurorack modules is a joke compared to hf. I really appreciate that you take the tine to try explaining to people like me how things work. Is there any not too long read somewhere which just explains the basics? I had physics in my med study and know basics about dc stuff and basic c knowledge but I am absolutely amazed how sensitive the whole thing is. Would love to understand better (no need for formulas so far, just the basic principle like why is the audio leed prawn to catch rf signal, proper grounding and shielding etc. I seriously cant believe you guys manage to build shoebox size rigs with super clean signal. It took. Me ages to get rid of my groundloop as well as usb groundloop within zhe stuio

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Jesus, you guys really know

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:49 am

Its not really amazing or impossible for you to do the same! :)

I am far from an "RF Engineer" But had an interest in electronics since i was a little kid in the mid 80s!

Any "New Tech" that arrived in my household would end up in pieces leading to furious parents!!! :lol:

Sorry Mum and Dad! :)

Anyways School was ok? But not in depth knowledge of electronics that i craved!

Through read books and research, my observations turned from failures going up in smoke to projects that work! :D

Electronics can be daunting to the beginner! With millions of components available? It is impossible to know how each one works!

Datasheets will help in understanding and identifying the components you currently use! :)
I am as stupid as I look! :|

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:01 am

With regard to your shielding/grounding question?

Shielding is a method of separating or blocking two or more signal types from each other!

Grounding can also serve this purpose! But is mainly about reducing the differential resistance between each PCB or component in your project!

As with many projects you will see on this forum, they have large copper areas on the PCB known as "Groundplanes"

This allows oscillators, filters and transmission lines to operate in a stable manner!
I am as stupid as I look! :|

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:52 am

Screening between stages is often crucial at radio frequencies. However, sometimes, there has to be a compromise - putting a screening can over a coil can reduce its "Q", broadening the response of a filter, or changing the frequency of an oscillator by "loading" the coil by proximity of the metal. It's usually good practice to screen (for example) the output filter from the rest of the PCB.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

yentzee
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by yentzee » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:25 pm

Thanks for your answers :)