10-11 meter sidebanding

Discuss radio from around the world. FM/DAB/AM/SW ...whatever the wavelength!
DJEquinox
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

10-11 meter sidebanding

Post by DJEquinox » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:02 pm

A long time ago I used to sit in my bedroom with a Cobra 148 GTL DX with a direct entry tuner knob from 26-30mHz. To get these extra frequencies over and above the the UK CB frequencies you had to send your radio of to "The Man" who modded it for extra frequencies and instead of a channel switch you got a direct frequency input. It was great fun and I used to chat to people all over Europe and a few times to the USA.

It was a bit like this but mine looked more DIY like "The Man" had DIY modded the front panel...

You could use side bands where your voice would go all alien sounding and you had to use a fine tune to get the voice to sound human. USB (Upper Side Band) meant something very different back then. :tup

I used to use an aerial called an Antron-99/Thunderpole and one called a Sirio Tornado I think. I use to love it and would be straight on there after work each night and all weekend. It was like what the internet is for many people today. I found this website for anyone who wants to reminisce. These ones look like they have a frequency counter built in. I wonder if anyone still side bands on the 10-11 meter band ? Is there still a scene or is it dead like most of radio these days.

Radio was never so much fun. Good times.

http://www.cobraworxshopz.com/about_us_1.html

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: 10-11 meter sidebanding

Post by teckniqs » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:10 pm

Those CB's are actually illegal to own due to the out of band channels.
That looks very similar to the Superstar and various other Cobra clones.

My first experience with RF was using CB radio back in the very early 90s, so when I got my first WFM rig I knew a little about the importance of SWR etc.

DJEquinox
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by DJEquinox » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:17 pm

Yes that was right, I was on all the time and never once had any hassles. Though I had a Kenwood filter that was about £80.00 as well. I have no idea if anyone uses theses frequencies now. They might have died with CB.

I had a really good mic as well, compression mic or something like that helped make you loud on SSB.

Really happy memories.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:27 pm

My family had about 3 CB's all set up at the same time at one point, we had the Sirio 827 up on a huge scaff pole, before we had the Sigma 4 which is what the Dominator FM broadcast antenna is based on.

...We had power mic's, echo/reverb mic's, robot boxes, blaster mics (like those keyrings), the lot.

Oh how times have changed, not used one in over 20 years and due to such a lack of interest these days (mobile phones etc) you no longer even need a license for one!

thestig
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by thestig » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:52 pm

I used to do all that with CB, some years ago it was great but not got time for that now.

Hey teckniqs, wasn't you a licenced amateur or was you just a pirate? On your conviction (we all know so not bringing it all up again) I thought they said you had ham gear but didn't know if you had a licence, if you did was it a full licence?
.ʍǝıʌ ɟo ʇuıod ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ ǝɟıן ʇɐ ʞooן oʇ pǝǝu noʎ sǝɯıʇǝɯos

Dai Pole
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Dai Pole » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:10 pm

I wouldn't mind one of these bad boys myself:

Don't know what I'd use it for though.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:23 pm

thestig wrote:I used to do all that with CB, some years ago it was great but not got time for that now.

Hey teckniqs, wasn't you a licenced amateur or was you just a pirate? On your conviction (we all know so not bringing it all up again) I thought they said you had ham gear but didn't know if you had a licence, if you did was it a full licence?
Yes I was, up until the final day in court. M3FWX, licensed to use up to 10w but once a pirate always a pirate and the 706Mk2G was always running at full power, they make great CB's but for £769.00 you'd expect so too! :tup

thestig
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by thestig » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:52 am

Ah Cool. You done the foundation then. You could always re validate it if not banned. :whistle
I once got a radio check with Hampshire police when they were on UHF with repeaters using a VX-7 but that's another story, never blocked them or annoyed them, that would be going too far. I once wound up the security staff at Butlins in Bognor when I was staying in Felpham, made out I was a disgruntled employee. The things you can do with that gear. :lol:
All behind me now though. :ugeek:

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:05 am

No chance, I have absolutely no interest in it any more. I'm not sure if it was permanent or not but either way I won't be returning. It's so full of boring old bastard's like Albert H.

thestig
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by thestig » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:45 am

teckniqs wrote:No chance, I have absolutely no interest in it any more. I'm not sure if it was permanent or not but either way I won't be returning. It's so full of boring old bastard's like Albert H.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

FMEnjoyer
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by FMEnjoyer » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:00 pm

I thought Albert H was the don ? He had a lot of knowledge why the hating on him. I must of missed any beef you had with him. His knowledge seemed complete where others just had about 10pct of it.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:08 pm

It was only a joke.

thestig
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by thestig » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:30 pm

I knew it was a joke, hence my reply, I thought that was clear but maybe not.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:49 pm

thestig wrote:I knew it was a joke, hence my reply, I thought that was clear but maybe not.
Not sure if that's to me but if it is that post wasn't meant for you...

thestig
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by thestig » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:42 pm

teckniqs wrote:
thestig wrote:I knew it was a joke, hence my reply, I thought that was clear but maybe not.
Not sure if that's to me but if it is that post wasn't meant for you...
No I know, just saying how I took it how you meant it but it must have seemed to others that you wasn't joking like. :tup

Dai Pole
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Dai Pole » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:58 pm

teckniqs wrote:No chance, I have absolutely no interest in it any more. I'm not sure if it was permanent or not but either way I won't be returning. It's so full of boring old bastard's ...
That's precisely how I feel about it. I've always been tempted to get a licence, but from what I've seen and heard the hobby is a bit like stamp collecting - but instead of stamps, the "operators" collect contacts - all I ever hear when I tune into the ham bands are a barrage of consonants and the phrase “5 and 9”. Is that fun? Maybe it is for some people, I don't know.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:06 pm

I won't deny I learned a lot from it and there's a exceptional number of 'like-minded' people who use it, it was definitely a learning curve for me having such a huge interest in radio and could be great fun on short wave talking to people thousands of miles away using just a few watts.

....I was only in it for the TX/RX side of things, just like I am with the FM broadcasting nowadays really.

DJEquinox
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by DJEquinox » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:19 pm

It seems like people are using side bands still and enjoying cb

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:00 pm

The President Lincoln was a good one in its day.

Dai Pole
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Dai Pole » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:22 pm

DJEquinox wrote:It seems like people are using side bands still and enjoying cb
I do believe it is getting more popular. Not quite 80s popular, but now you can use AM and SSB legally it is worth keeping your eye out for a car boot sale rig - I know I am.