Mrf1980 replacement

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Mrf1980 replacement

Post by XXL » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:02 pm

Has anyone tried replacing the mrf9180 with a round type mosfet like sd2931 or sumink on those Chinese boards ?

Enigma shop are out of stock and can’t find a Freescale MRF anywhere. Those amps match really well.

s2000

Re: Mrf1980 replacement

Post by s2000 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:09 pm

Don't buy those "Aiicking" ones, the last batch I had only did 27w :whistle Also when you set the bias, sometimes a spurious emission would show on the analyser around 700-750mhz (with no input drive).

Shame, the first one I bought from them did 150w no problem. It also had some strange characteristics though, acts wierd with no input rf applied. Hard to set bias correctly, doesn't draw current smoothly when increasing pot. Gets to a certain point and goes nuts drawing whatever the power supply can give! (current limitation highly recommended lol).

Would be really interesting to see what the Chinese are up to with these. I did notice that if you turned off the exciter (with a swr meter inline to the chinese amps input), the needle measuring "forward power" doesn't drop! It actually was going up when the exciter turned off :lol: I have never seen an original mosfet do this so would have to assume its self oscillating and back feeding to the swr meter. :?:

Got my money back though, Aiicking never replied so Aliexpress refunded the lot. :P

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Mrf1980 replacement

Post by XXL » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:39 pm

Have you ever tried like a blf278 in place of it ? Obviously would need around 5w input though.