Offcom and chances of being raided

For discussion of all stations in the UK that are outside of London.
TGillies
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Offcom and chances of being raided

Post by TGillies » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:39 pm

So i just recently started up again, broadcast on 102.1 in Glasgow, my last time on air was back in 2006, lasted a good 8 months before being raided by offcom. This time im a bit more on the ball and could say wary of the fact it could come at anytime.

however, ive been reading a lot of stuff about offcom having their budgets slashed and that the chances of being raided are significantly lower. im told that you'll only be raided if there is a complaint made against you. Surely not?

has anyone any proof, evidence or examples of this being the case with them. Just trying to get my head round it all.

cheers in advance.

OldskoolPirate
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: Offcom and chances of being raided

Post by OldskoolPirate » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:30 am

Do not leave finger prints on any transmitting equipment. use a virtual phone number. Don’t use band 1 or microwave directly from the studio. Always net link even if it’s to the midpoint. Don’t go to the rig site if it goes off or mod fucks up. They will be waiting.

Hope the cash slashing is true. FUCK YOU OFCOM !!!
:tup

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:17 pm

A lot of stations in London never ever get touched, been like this for a few years now. As long as you're using decent equipment and not causing any interference in or out of the band, you shouldn't get too much of a problem these days...

McDonalds
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by McDonalds » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:58 am

I would say is it really worth all the effect these days as hard to tell even if any ones tuned in.
Who really listens other than in the car now days.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:52 am

McDonalds wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:58 am Who really listens other than in the car now days.
You. :tup

kevycorsa
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by kevycorsa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:03 pm

I've ran 200w direct with a pretty decent signal coverage a fair few times over the last year.
Mostly Friday Saturday and Sunday night's depending if i have time for a couple of hours say 5 or more hours at a time even for a few weekends on the run

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:16 am

OldskoolPirate wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:30 am Do not leave finger prints on any transmitting equipment. use a virtual phone number. Don’t use band 1 or microwave directly from the studio. Always net link even if it’s to the midpoint. Don’t go to the rig site if it goes off or mod fucks up. They will be waiting.

Did they get you once? The govt regulator here in NZ is complaints driven, so if you're clean and well modulated (not causing interference in the aircraft band) then you'll be ok.

FMEnjoyer
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by FMEnjoyer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:48 am

My No.1 tip for not getting caught is double checking your name and address is not written inside the bag where you rig is :oops: . Silly mistake and lucky for me no problems. This was many many years ago. I felt like a prize dildo when I realized. Been out of pirating for 15 years and only ever did the occasional thing for fun. I still tune about a bit here and there.

THE GOVERNOR
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by THE GOVERNOR » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:39 am

OldskoolPirate wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:30 am Do not leave finger prints on any transmitting equipment. use a virtual phone number. Don’t use band 1 or microwave directly from the studio. Always net link even if it’s to the midpoint. Don’t go to the rig site if it goes off or mod fucks up. They will be waiting.

If you stick to this advice you're be fine and don't forget LOOSE LIPS SINKS SHIPS.

MC Spanner
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by MC Spanner » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:11 am

THE GOVERNOR wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:39 amIf you stick to this advice you're be fine and don't forget LOOSE LIPS SINKS SHIPS.
Spot on but easier these days with lots of stations on where the DJs stream their audio to a central server. When we use to run stations from an actual studio we use to have to deal not only with OFCOM (formerly the DTI) and other rig thieves but also our own dickhead DJs inviting all their mates to the bloody studio and telling everyone in sight where it was. :x It never ended well

Albert j
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Albert j » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:21 am

Best way of not getting caught is don't post on a forum that offcom check daily your freq where your coming from what power your using and when you was last on! I'd say you can expect a visit soon after this post!

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:32 pm

It might be a good idea to find out the IP ranges used by OFCOM and other government offices, should be able to do a Whois lookup and get the info from ICANN, we can then block them through the server firewall - this won't stop them from accessing the site completely but will certainly slow them down a lot. This can also be done by reverse DNS checking for anything that resolves to a govt top level domain.

THE GOVERNOR
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by THE GOVERNOR » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:54 pm

I'm aware that one or two employees take the job home with them. They've always got their hand on a knob.

Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Matt » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:35 pm

I used to know a couple of guys who had stations. Their attitude was always that a raid was inevitable. That from the moment you switch on, you're on countdown to a knock at the door. If you intend to be on for an amount of time decent enough to build and sustain a reasonable audience, it was gong to happen one day. I believe that the technology used to hide the station has advanced since my mates were on air, but even though traceable links were used back in the day, there were still stories of DJs being followed from home to the studio, the DJs with the biggest profiles being the most vulnerable. I guess that must still happen.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:49 am

We used to have DJs followed, telephones (landlines) tapped, and engineers followed around by the DTI bods. When we'd spotted them (and we always did), we'd jam their Pye Pocketphones (a white noise jammer on their repeater input frequency rendered their radios useless), and we used to give out all sorts of interesting misinformation on the phone. It was fun to send the clowns all over London (and beyond) looking for non-existent sites. We put up wooden dummy dipole aerials on blocks all over London. They were pretty convincing from any more than a few feet, and we made them as inaccessible as possible. We wasted endless amounts of their time!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)