London pirates and the Interweb

Discuss all things relating to the busy London Pirate Radio scene.
dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: London pirates and the Interweb

Post by dancemusicdj » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:47 pm

drumandbasshead010 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:23 pm No, I was referring to the RTÉ stations that belonged to them on DAB (i.e. Pulse, Chill, JR etc.)
Have you got a link, as doing a quick google brings up nothing that says RTE will be ending their dab transmissions, rather that they won't be putting further investment in rolling it out for now.

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:01 pm

dancemusicdj wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:47 pm
drumandbasshead010 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:23 pm No, I was referring to the RTÉ stations that belonged to them on DAB (i.e. Pulse, Chill, JR etc.)
Have you got a link, as doing a quick google brings up nothing that says RTE will be ending their dab transmissions, rather that they won't be putting further investment in rolling it out for now.
http://radiotoday.ie/2017/06/dab-radio- ... -prospers/
And in response to the article, who is it impacting on? Absolutely nobody. Because we don't need it and, as the article states, the independent sector doesn't want it. There isn't 10 people who care about DAB in Ireland. We've been testing things for years, all that needs to happen now is for Dusty Rhodes and our friends at DB Digital Broadcasting to realise that what he wants for the public the public simply have no interest in.
Personally, I feel they should take the money they're spending on DAB and put it into rolling out full 4G coverage across the country and ensuring that everyone has FM coverage of the national stations, so that those with older vehicles can lsill listen to what should already be available to them on FM, and those of us with newer vehicles who wish for more choice may plug into our auxilary cables and listen to whatever we choose to online. There's chaos over in Norway because even at the time NRK switched off FM, only 49% of the Norwegian public had DAB receivers, and the rest would have to pay €100 for a decent DAB radio to enjoy their public service broadcaster's content. Doesn't that sound lovely!
Abandon DAB, those still listening to the FM seem fairly happy with the selection, and those who are not are going online to get their fill.

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by dancemusicdj » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:43 pm

Yeah that is the mux owned by db digital broadcasting, who are a private operator.

drumandbasshead010 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:01 pmAnd in response to the article, who is it impacting on? Absolutely nobody. Because we don't need it and, as the article states, the independent sector doesn't want it. There isn't 10 people who care about DAB in Ireland. We've been testing things for years, all that needs to happen now is for Dusty Rhodes and our friends at DB Digital Broadcasting to realise that what he wants for the public the public simply have no interest in.
Personally, I feel they should take the money they're spending on DAB and put it into rolling out full 4G coverage across the country and ensuring that everyone has FM coverage of the national stations, so that those with older vehicles can lsill listen to what should already be available to them on FM, and those of us with newer vehicles who wish for more choice may plug into our auxilary cables and listen to whatever we choose to online. There's chaos over in Norway because even at the time NRK switched off FM, only 49% of the Norwegian public had DAB receivers, and the rest would have to pay €100 for a decent DAB radio to enjoy their public service broadcaster's content. Doesn't that sound lovely!
Abandon DAB, those still listening to the FM seem fairly happy with the selection, and those who are not are going online to get their fill.

To state we don't need it isn't a viable statement to make, on the basis that the current state of things is simply the current state of things and cannot be guaranteed to remain the way it currently is indefinitely. In reality as much as we may like it, internet radio is unlikely to become the main platform for listening to radio for many varied reasons unfortunately, and we can't quite rule out a possible EU-wide push toards digital radio implementation down the line. Nobody can care about something that doesn't actually exist in the majority of the country, so that's not really a mark against any future dab implementation if it's ever decided to implement it. the fact we have been testing things for years again means nothing, the uk had effectively been testing things for years before the big push in the last decade or so.
I don't think Dusty Rhodes and DB Digital Broadcasting need to realise anything, what they spend their money on is their business. everyone has full coverage of the national stations as it is, the black spots that have issues with coverage always will due to to terrain unfortunately. 4g i believe is coming in time, all though there will be areas of the country where it won't be viable to provide it.
abandoning dab altogether isn't going to happen. At least for now.

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:25 am

dancemusicdj wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:43 pm
Yeah that is the mux owned by db digital broadcasting, who are a private operator.

drumandbasshead010 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:01 pmAnd in response to the article, who is it impacting on? Absolutely nobody. Because we don't need it and, as the article states, the independent sector doesn't want it. There isn't 10 people who care about DAB in Ireland. We've been testing things for years, all that needs to happen now is for Dusty Rhodes and our friends at DB Digital Broadcasting to realise that what he wants for the public the public simply have no interest in.

To state we don't need it isn't a viable statement to make, on the basis that the current state of things is simply the current state of things and cannot be guaranteed to remain the way it currently is indefinitely. In reality as much as we may like it, internet radio is unlikely to become the main platform for listening to radio for many varied reasons unfortunately, and we can't quite rule out a possible EU-wide push toards digital radio implementation down the line. Nobody can care about something that doesn't actually exist in the majority of the country, so that's not really a mark against any future dab implementation if it's ever decided to implement it. the fact we have been testing things for years again means nothing, the uk had effectively been testing things for years before the big push in the last decade or so.
I don't think Dusty Rhodes and DB Digital Broadcasting need to realise anything, what they spend their money on is their business. everyone has full coverage of the national stations as it is, the black spots that have issues with coverage always will due to to terrain unfortunately. 4g i believe is coming in time, all though there will be areas of the country where it won't be viable to provide it.
abandoning dab altogether isn't going to happen. At least for now.
The public will make the decision, at the end of the day.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:22 pm

dancemusicdj wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:53 pm
drumandbasshead010 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:16 pmin Ireland we have the highest percentage of people listening to FM of any European country (God knows why!) DAB's a failure over here, so I have a feeling that, when the FM frequency does die, we'll skip DAB and move straight online.
Your comment in relation to dab in ireland isn't quite accurate. In ireland there is currently no legal framework for the regulation of dab and the licencing of stations on the platform, implementing that framework is being looked at apparently, with the plan to implement dab+ if a roll-out does take place. As things stand only trial licences from comreg are availible, and they only last a period of time. cork now has a small scale mux for a year's trial, and i wouldn't be surprised if we see more tests with the minny-mux technology. so not a failure or dead yet, but not fully able to get off the ground either.
I put on a mini-MIX in Cork a few months ago. It was carrying RTE 1 , 2, naGael, and Lyric. All were in high bit rate stereo in an effort (by Comreg) to sell the super quality of DAB+.
It was usable in most of the city and had shaped coverage westward along the coast. The TX site provided was quite low and I had to run much more power than expected to get reasonable results. It was on for just under three weeks, purely for demonstration purposes. I collected the gear at the end of the test and it's still in my lock-up in Dundalk!

I haven't heard anything much from RTE or Comreg since.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)