London pirates and the Interweb

Discuss all things relating to the busy London Pirate Radio scene.
drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

London pirates and the Interweb

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:43 am

Some of the tighter pirates seem to be moving online-only. Which on-air pirates do you think would be able to exist online-only and still have a following as Kool and TF Live seem to have done? I would say Vission Radio UK and Select UK would probably stand a good chance.

Effemm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: London pirates and the Interweb

Post by Effemm » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:21 pm

All of em
FM's dead
USB in your motor downloaded with whatever u like n yr sorted...No ads ,No shouts etc etc
FM's over n out .
Sad but true

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:16 pm

Effemm wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:21 pm All of em
FM's dead
USB in your motor downloaded with whatever u like n yr sorted...No ads ,No shouts etc etc
FM's over n out .
Sad but true
FM is dead. But no shouts? Internet radio still has 'shouts' mate. Personally I use my phone instead of a USB and since I'm usually a passenger flick through online stations/sets.
I agree with you that FM is dead, but I think online radio will be there a little while more. That is, in the UK at least. Here in Ireland we have the highest percentage of people listening to FM of any European country (God knows why!) DAB's a failure over here, so I have a feeling that, when the FM frequency does die, we'll skip DAB and move straight online.

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:57 am

Yes if I am not listening on fm I have gone straight to online missing dab rather like missing a number when counting but the establishment are still flogging dab like crazy

Lordunderground
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Lordunderground » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:44 am

FM not dead yet according to stats it still a/cs for most radio listeners (around 50%.

It just split more, as when TV went digital. Audience is just split across more and more platforms/channels

On DAB stations I get the bit rate and audio quality is inferior to listening online

zoostorm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by zoostorm » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:41 pm

I'd lock into Kool more online if they had a lower bitrate AAC+ stream. 128k MP3 is soon going to go through your data.

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:03 pm

zoostorm wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:41 pm I'd lock into Kool more online if they had a lower bitrate AAC+ stream. 128k MP3 is soon going to go through your data.
That's understandable. If I didn't have unlimited data, I probably wouldn't listen to much online radio at all. Unless it's an old historical pirate recording or something I never listen to anything in mono, especially online. Can't see why anyone would want to if they didn't have to.
Speaking of bad quality online stations the worst sounding London pirates' online streams I've ever heard are Station 89.8 and the former Lips 105.6. Absolutely attrocious.

zoostorm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by zoostorm » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:41 pm

drumandbasshead010 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:03 pm
zoostorm wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:41 pm I'd lock into Kool more online if they had a lower bitrate AAC+ stream. 128k MP3 is soon going to go through your data.
That's understandable. If I didn't have unlimited data, I probably wouldn't listen to much online radio at all.
When I use Spotify, it only uses around 1.5GB per month of my 4G data, it's no wonder. I'll lock into Kool out and about, but no more than an hour a day if I do.

It's all and good having apps and Tune-In, but stations need to start providing lower bitrate AAC+ streams.

Fil
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Fil » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:15 pm

Effemm wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:21 pm
No ads ,No shouts etc etc
No shout outs! I dont mind them.

As for DAB, thats dead IMO , straight to online via TUNEIN makes more sense, have read DABs not that great quality wise anyways?

As for the tune in and Kool thing, does radio eat that much data? never looked into it, sky go must absolutly cain my data, but im still on a good old 3 unlimited data account.
Just a listener since 1990 based in RM13 ;)

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:21 pm

Use about 1/7th of video I think

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:10 pm

Fil wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:15 pm
Effemm wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:21 pm
No ads ,No shouts etc etc
No shout outs! I dont mind them.

As for DAB, thats dead IMO , straight to online via TUNEIN makes more sense, have read DABs not that great quality wise anyways?

As for the tune in and Kool thing, does radio eat that much data? never looked into it, sky go must absolutly cain my data, but im still on a good old 3 unlimited data account.
Like myself, best deal out there.

Lordunderground
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Lordunderground » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:44 am

Good point plus not everywhere is fast internet, if you look @ shoutcast the lower bitrates have the most listeners.

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:19 pm

There's a new law probably, and unfortunately, coming in - Article 13 of the Copyright Directive. This will probably increase FM pirate listening.

zoostorm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by zoostorm » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:46 pm

thewisepranker wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:19 pm There's a new law probably, and unfortunately, coming in - Article 13 of the Copyright Directive. This will probably increase FM pirate listening.
That's an EU directive. Considering we're leaving the EU next March, it'll be up to the UK Government if they want to go along with the EU.

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:23 pm

I bet they'll try all they can to get it in place before that date.

bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by bristolpirates » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:46 pm

zoostorm wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:46 pm That's an EU directive. Considering we're leaving the EU next March, it'll be up to the UK Government if they want to go along with the EU.
I thought I read that it wouldn't matter and that we'd be affected by it anyway. I'll have to look at this again and find out.

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by dancemusicdj » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:53 pm

drumandbasshead010 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:16 pmin Ireland we have the highest percentage of people listening to FM of any European country (God knows why!) DAB's a failure over here, so I have a feeling that, when the FM frequency does die, we'll skip DAB and move straight online.
Your comment in relation to dab in ireland isn't quite accurate. In ireland there is currently no legal framework for the regulation of dab and the licencing of stations on the platform, implementing that framework is being looked at apparently, with the plan to implement dab+ if a roll-out does take place. As things stand only trial licences from comreg are availible, and they only last a period of time. cork now has a small scale mux for a year's trial, and i wouldn't be surprised if we see more tests with the minny-mux technology. so not a failure or dead yet, but not fully able to get off the ground either.

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:34 am

dancemusicdj wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:53 pm
drumandbasshead010 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:16 pmin Ireland we have the highest percentage of people listening to FM of any European country (God knows why!) DAB's a failure over here, so I have a feeling that, when the FM frequency does die, we'll skip DAB and move straight online.
Your comment in relation to dab in ireland isn't quite accurate. In ireland there is currently no legal framework for the regulation of dab and the licencing of stations on the platform, implementing that framework is being looked at apparently, with the plan to implement dab+ if a roll-out does take place. As things stand only trial licences from comreg are availible, and they only last a period of time. cork now has a small scale mux for a year's trial, and i wouldn't be surprised if we see more tests with the minny-mux technology. so not a failure or dead yet, but not fully able to get off the ground either.
From what I've heard, the trials in Dublin, Cork and Limerick on the RTÉ multiplex are either about to end or have already. What's the point in putting a legal framework in place when neither the independent radio industry or the listeners are interested?

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by dancemusicdj » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:42 am

drumandbasshead010 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:34 amFrom what I've heard, the trials in Dublin, Cork and Limerick on the RTÉ multiplex are either about to end or have already.
assuming you are talking about the trials by the independant stations which i believe did use the RTE muxes, they ended years ago. RTE itself then launched a few of it's test stations as full services in the areas where their dab muxes exist, they have no plans to ditch dab as far as i know.
drumandbasshead010 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:34 amWhat's the point in putting a legal framework in place when neither the independent radio industry or the listeners are interested?
because It allows actual decisians in relation to the platform to be made for a start.

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:23 pm

No, I was referring to the RTÉ stations that belonged to them on DAB (i.e. Pulse, Chill, JR etc.)