Hi All..

Oh hello - you must be new. Introduce yourself to the radio world here!
SamTheDog
ne guy
ne guy

Hi All..

Post by SamTheDog » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:13 pm

Hi.. New to this group I'm Sam The Dog. Been on and off the air since about 1986 ish.. on FM and Shortwave mostly... Was with WNKR back when there was a WNKR!... since then been doing an on-line thing called tor radio (Glastonbury) and running low-power kit in Kent too. I tend to build my own kit and am a bit of an electronics nut. Cheers.. Chat soon..

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Hi All..

Post by teckniqs » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Welcome along. :tup
I once heard WNKR about 12 years ago on the shortwave frequency 6.285MHz from deep out in west Wiltshire, I found it most interesting and I'd never heard anything like quite like that before so I decided to give the number a call and spoke to a guy called "Barney" and ended up having a good little chat, turned out we both knew a lot of the same people, top fella. Was a good signal for the 20w he was running from deep in the West Midlands.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:26 pm

Shortwave can be great fun - especially if you're a stamp collector. We used to get mail from about 80 countries!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

SamTheDog
ne guy
ne guy

Post by SamTheDog » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:10 am

Cool.. re.. shortwave TX and phone-lines...

FAB... The usual TX frequency for our sunday broadcasts was 6.400 but we did move about a
little bit! I think it was Andy-Walker's WFRL that used the 6.285 slot. and sometimes we used it too.

Anay Walker and some of the WFRL teal also D-Jayed on WNKR regularly. Andy had a superb record collection and I remember being inmressed with his home-studio in south london.

Depending on the telephone number given out.... if it was 300 1234 (i think) It was a phone box in Albany Park near where Barney lived ( I was a mile or so away) and if it was a pair of consecutive 01-300-xxxx numbers it was a pair of phone boxes at the end of Faraday avenue in Sidcup.. I nearly got arrested taking WNKR calls from those boxes.. Tee Hee...

Have fun....

SamTheDog
ne guy
ne guy

Post by SamTheDog » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:14 am

Albert H wrote:Shortwave can be great fun - especially if you're a stamp collector. We used to get mail from about 80 countries!
Brilliant! we did too... and had our regular mail-drop address at.. the usual wuppertal
address in west-Germany. Many an evening in the rose in Bexleyheath was spent sifting through
the QSLs and letters....

Not into stamp collecting though... :) but I do still have a collection of Vinyl !

Cheers.

thewisepranker
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by thewisepranker » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:16 am

Interesting website.

Welcome.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:23 am

It was to a T Mobile number, possibly something like 07957 or 07958 I can't remember to be honest.

SamTheDog
ne guy
ne guy

Post by SamTheDog » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:46 am

teckniqs wrote:It was to a T Mobile number, possibly something like 07957 or 07958 I can't remember to be honest.
....By then Barney had moved-out of the southeast and into the mids.. So that would be a few years after my time with WNKR. I was there from before the start up until about 1995 when I branched-out to do my own thing.... I still have hearly all my shows on tapes and occasionally transmit them in amongst the stuff on FM / Shortwave through the TOR-Radio thing.

Last I heard from barney he was living in the mids and doing some occasional mediumwave
broadcasts at the top of that band (1602 ?) But that was in about 2007. I heard the broadcasts
on MW called the station's mobile and had a chat to him.. It was cool after all the years in-
between to catch-up.. In the years since my WNKR days and 2007 I had pretty much disappeared from the shortwave world and was putting FM stations on the air in and around London... I still have some of my kit and the microwave stuff... Tee Hee

SamTheDog
ne guy
ne guy

Post by SamTheDog » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:48 am

thewisepranker wrote:Interesting website.

Welcome.
Many thanks. I try to make it a bit of fun.! There are some interesting links there and I an still
adding things to the Z-Button's icons at the moment.. In between my other things-to-do...

All the best.

davemartin
ne guy
ne guy

Post by davemartin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi SamTheDog if you are still about give me a shout. Mobile number still the same as 1993.

Dave Martin