R1 Audio

Discuss UK FM/DAB/AM/SW licensed stations here.
thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

R1 Audio

Post by thewisepranker » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:46 pm

Has anyone else noticed R1 skipping a lot lately? Sounds a bit like buffering but there are never any gaps in the noise, just dropped beats here and there.
I don't even ever listen to R1 and I notice it every time I occasionally listen.

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: R1 Audio

Post by dancemusicdj » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:39 am

i think they are replacing the system they use to feed the audio to the transmission sites but cannot confirm for definite. could be them working on that?

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:09 pm

Could be. I've been noticing it for well over a month now.

radio-berlin
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by radio-berlin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:33 pm

Ive noticed some of their transmitters are not in sync.

As you are driving you car radio skips between different frequencies for better signal strength. Noymally you dont notice your radio doing it but lately some of their transmitters audio are a fraction out of sync of each other. I also noticed the sound quality difference between transmitters, some have a lot more high end thn others

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by dancemusicdj » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:10 pm

radio-berlin wrote:Ive noticed some of their transmitters are not in sync.

As you are driving you car radio skips between different frequencies for better signal strength. Noymally you dont notice your radio doing it but lately some of their transmitters audio are a fraction out of sync of each other.
that may also be down to the audio feed distribution system being replaced, if that is what is happening. some of the transmitters may not be switched over to the new feed or the little skips might be causing transmitters to be ahead of others, i don't know.
radio-berlin wrote:I also noticed the sound quality difference between transmitters, some have a lot more high end thn others
probably whoever set up the processers, different engineers for each area maybe? personally i think stations with multiple transmitters should always have a consistent signature sound across their transmitters. but maybe there is a reason why that can't, or shouldn't happen

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:42 pm

A lot of BBC relay transmitters are fed 'off air' by simply receiving something like 98.8 and rebroadcasting it on 99.7 for example. I think some are fed via satellite and that can also make a difference in delay when it comes to processing etc.

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:48 pm

Aha, Berlin, you may have hit the nail on the head. It didn't occur to me to check whether the frequency had changed but this is probably what is happening. I'm about 9 miles in a straight line from the 99.7 MHz transmitter and my car radio does tend to choose that. The radio in my car (one of those wank built-in things with the name of the manufacturer of the car also written on the radio) finds stations by their PI, rather than frequency, so if I press, say, preset 9 when I'm driving down road that that wavelength won't fit down, it'll just scan the band endlessly. Piece of shit.