End of the road for FM radio? Norway announces it will switch off analogue service in January 2017

Discuss UK FM/DAB/AM/SW licensed stations here.

shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: End of the road for FM radio? Norway announces it will switch off analogue service in January 2017

Post by shuffy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:52 pm

I wouldn't say it's the end for FM radio - apparently the band will be given over to smaller stations. All those millions of existing FM radios won't just disappear when the national stations move. It could be more of an opportunity than anything else. I mean, we'd have to wait and see what happens with the licensing and who's lined up to switch on the minute the Beeb switch off, but wouldn't it be nice if all that lovely spectrum suddenly went back to how it was 30 years ago... ;-)

Meanwhile, DAB is already obsolete and the longer they take trying to make people buy enough receivers to make it viable, something generally more fit for purpose may be here.

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: End of the road for FM radio? Norway announces it will switch off analogue service in January 2017

Post by MiXiN » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:34 am

If this happens over here it would be great news for us guys.

First and foremost, we won't be lumbered with the likes of Mundane Radio 1 and various other commercial dross, and also, as Shuffy said - it'll give lots of dial availability to us that struggle to find a sweet spot.

Furthermore, some commercial gear might get through the net and into the caring hands of us guys

SOTS 87 7
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by SOTS 87 7 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:15 pm

Fully agreed, another point what the so called authorities didn't think about about DAB is that it doesn't work so well in some rural areas such as mine. The reception is in want of a better word, crap round here, even TV.
FM at least you can still receive it no matter how strong or week the signal.

McDonalds
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by McDonalds » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:32 am

Well I find DAB signal is fine around Chelmsford and Suffolk and this just on a portable radio.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:42 am

You must be local to a powerful TX or just very lucky, probably a bit of both...