What apps do you use

Discuss UK-based Radio outside the South East of England
e.g. Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds & Manchester
'Legal' radio topics often go here too.
Post Reply
peterogerspirate
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:15 pm

What apps do you use

Post by peterogerspirate » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:46 am

So we all now most people will say they use tune in as it has to be the most popular

But is it really the best app ?

What app do you use and do you use it on a pc as well or just ya phone

peterogerspirate
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: What apps do you use

Post by peterogerspirate » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:47 am

mine is onlineradiobox as tune in is just to cluttered https://onlineradiobox.com

User avatar
radionortheast
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:38 pm

Re: What apps do you use

Post by radionortheast » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:12 am

used to use shoutcast, I don't really use any, with there been so many stations out there how can you decide whats good? I just usually look for music and download it instead

Casual
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Re: What apps do you use

Post by Casual » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:18 pm

The go to app is TuneIn as it's great for podcasts as well as radio and also seems to have the most stations on it's database. For me TuneIn does exactly what I need from a radio app

However a good alternative to TuneIn is an app which I don't really see being mentioned too much called Audials (they do a free version and pro version). It has similar features to TuneIn but arguably beats it with 2 features TuneIn doesn't have, the first of which is the ability to re-order your saved/favourite stations to your choosing (TuneIn only has this feature available on it's desktop site and not on any of it's apps). The second feature is Audials also still has a record function (TuneIn did away with this a while back in the UK due to copyright/rights issues but you can still get around that if you show some cunning and use it with a VPN!) - however unlike TuneIn which wouldn't let you export/share your recording from it's app, Audials will automatically save your recording as an mp3 file straight to your device which you can then share/export to another device/wherever you wish.

If anyone needs any of the above features then I'd recommend Audials for sure. If you just want an app literally just for listening to the radio and/or with the occasional podcast (with none of the above) then TuneIn has this on lockdown.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!
Posts: 1241
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:23 am

Re: What apps do you use

Post by Albert H » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:45 pm

"SimpleRadio" from Streema.com is good.

RadioBox works well, particularly on Android.

Radio.Garden is fun!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 am

Re: What apps do you use

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:28 pm

Any particular reason why TuneIn won't let you add your station anymore? I don't have my own station - just curious!

Casual
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Re: What apps do you use

Post by Casual » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:40 pm

drumandbasshead010 wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:28 pm
Any particular reason why TuneIn won't let you add your station anymore? I don't have my own station - just curious!
Oh wow! I never even realised that feature had disappeared until you said! May be actually worth considering switching to Audials or another suggested alternative just to have this & the other options I mentioned in my previous post available if need be. Food for thought indeed.....πŸ€”

If you actually paid out legit for the pro version of TuneIn in the last couple of years you'd surely be annoyed with the disappearance of some of it's once quite useful features!

peterogers
ne guy
ne guy
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:11 pm

Re: What apps do you use

Post by peterogers » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:59 pm

Casual wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:18 pm
The go to app is TuneIn as it's great for podcasts as well as radio and also seems to have the most stations on it's database. For me TuneIn does exactly what I need from a radio app

However a good alternative to TuneIn is an app which I don't really see being mentioned too much called Audials (they do a free version and pro version). It has similar features to TuneIn but arguably beats it with 2 features TuneIn doesn't have, the first of which is the ability to re-order your saved/favourite stations to your choosing (TuneIn only has this feature available on it's desktop site and not on any of it's apps). The second feature is Audials also still has a record function (TuneIn did away with this a while back in the UK due to copyright/rights issues but you can still get around that if you show some cunning and use it with a VPN!) - however unlike TuneIn which wouldn't let you export/share your recording from it's app, Audials will automatically save your recording as an mp3 file straight to your device which you can then share/export to another device/wherever you wish.

If anyone needs any of the above features then I'd recommend Audials for sure. If you just want an app literally just for listening to the radio and/or with the occasional podcast (with none of the above) then TuneIn has this on lockdown.
How can you re order ya favorites on audials on the desktop version ?

peterogers
ne guy
ne guy
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:11 pm

Re: What apps do you use

Post by peterogers » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:12 pm

The zap now feature in audials is good i must admit

Casual
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Re: What apps do you use

Post by Casual » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:58 pm

peterogers wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:59 pm
How can you re order ya favorites on audials on the desktop version ?
I never listen to the radio on a desktop computer so I'm not sure about Audials desktop version. I use the app via a smartphone connected to a bluetooth speaker. You can reorder your favourites on the app 100%

peterogerspirate
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: What apps do you use

Post by peterogerspirate » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:55 pm

Casual wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:58 pm
peterogers wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:59 pm
How can you re order ya favorites on audials on the desktop version ?
I never listen to the radio on a desktop computer so I'm not sure about Audials desktop version. I use the app via a smartphone connected to a bluetooth speaker. You can reorder your favourites on the app 100%
Some very nice features and yes i notice the re order is only via smartphone which is a shame and why do the streams take so long to load ?

Casual
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Re: What apps do you use

Post by Casual » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:21 pm

peterogerspirate wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:55 pm
Some very nice features and yes i notice the re order is only via smartphone which is a shame and why do the streams take so long to load ?
It's something to do with pre-buffering (about 5 seconds) before the stream fully loads up/starts. I assume it does this so if a stream buffers for whatever reason the listening experience then won't stutter/sound glitchy - TuneIn has been doing this a fair bit recently! In fact I've actually switched to Audials & uninstalled TuneIn in the last 24 hours & there has been a clear difference with that latter point between the 2 apps.

Post Reply