What's the weirdest thing you have ever heard on the fm dial?

Discuss UK FM/DAB/AM/SW licensed stations here.
Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Re: What's the weirdest thing you have ever heard on the fm dial?

Post by Matt » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:08 pm

I once heard a transmitter on the frequency of an occasional pirate in Merseyside with just muffled voices, like the mic had been left open and we could hear a conversation in another room. It wasn't great reception so I couldn't make out any of what was said. It went on like this for quite some time!

I was responsible for an odd broadcast myself, but not on the FM band. I was managing a station that had been awarded a Low Power AM (LPAM) licence. We were preparing to go on in a couple of weeks but something had happened to the satellite dish that we were using to source IRN for the news and it wasn't picking anything up. This was in the days before everyone had a mobile phone, so we were a bit stuck for ideas about how one of us could be on the roof adjusting the dish while the other was in the studio in front of the TV to see when we got the signal (it was a flat roof with a raised bit in the middle where the dish was mounted). So I had an idea. I switched the transmitter on. There was a guy on the roof with a portable radio and me in the studio in front of the TV with the mic open. He'd adjust the dish bit by bit with me giving it "Nothing... Nothing... Nothing... Something. Keep going that way. Too far, go back a bit..." until after about 15 minutes we had it sorted. We switched the transmitter off and quietly agreed that it might be best not to share it with the rest of the management of the station. I'd be pretty surprised if anyone heard it!

Sparki
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: What's the weirdest thing you have ever heard on the fm dial?

Post by Sparki » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:15 am

Heard what I now know was a numbers station on the FM when I was a kid, it was what sounded like a distressed or frightened old woman reading out a load of numbers with lots bing bong and ice cream van sounds after they had spoken, was very weird and fucking creepy at the time!.
Ive heard people's iTrip's before which sound out of place. But there was a funny story I could tell you, me and a mate were on our way to see The Prodigy at Brixton 02 back in December. My mate had one of them small FM transmitters and seeing as I didnt have the right connectors for my MP3 he managed to put it through one of his leads and it came out on the FM :D so driving through parts of London we was listening to some of my old sets I done on some net stations lol. Not sure it got out far at all on FM prob one mile if that! and I do wonder if anyone was tuning around the evening and found us blasting some DnB on 87.5 or 107.8 lol. Think the video of it is still on my FB somewhere we was cracking up calling it 'DriveBy FM'. So yeah that must have been pretty weird for anyone listening on a cold December night a few days before Christmas lol.