distorted asian rsl/pirate

Discuss UK-based Radio outside the South East of England
e.g. Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds & Manchester
'Legal' radio topics often go here too.
Dai Pole
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by Dai Pole » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:44 pm

How do you know they're not British? Possible brown skin, the fact that they're Muslim, speaking a funny language?

If you've never applied for an RSL, I can't see how you can complain about those bothered to "put in the work". Your points are nothing but conjecture.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:23 am

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by Albert H » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:43 am

Dai Pole wrote:If you've never applied for an RSL, I can't see how you can complain about those bothered to "put in the work". Your points are nothing but conjecture.
I've put on many RSLs and in most cases they've been a complete waste of time, effort and money. The only ones that have been in any way worthwhile have been the little 1 and 2 Watt jobs put on for music festivals. The "high power" 25 Watt efforts are a waste of time. In most metropolitan areas, they get jammed either by BBC regionals (because of abysmal band planning) or by pirates.

Did you know that it would be entirely possible for all the BBC national stations to all fit quite nicely below 92MHz? The next part of the band (to 96MHz) could be city-wide stations, 96 to 104MHz could be "Community of Interest" stations and 104 to 107.9MHz could be RSLs, at sensible prices for people who want to try out formats and so on. The power wouldn't need to be restricted to 25W and a 10m high, no-gain aerial. 250W into a colinear (ERP 1kW) could be the limit, or "shaped" coverage could be provided for high field strength in targeted areas. All it would take is a government with a bit of sense and a small Act Of Parliament...... I'm not holding my breath!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Dai Pole
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by Dai Pole » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:07 pm

Of course RSLs are a complete waste of time and money, I'm not denying that - but the point stands that the process is open to all with the patience and cash money. Therefore to make specious claims and insinuations that Ofcom wouldn't consider applications from non Muslims is utterly bogus.

I personally think that Ofcom's policy of allowing all these RSLs and community stations is to piss the diehard analogue radio listeners off enough that they start to consider DAB.
Last edited by Dai Pole on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FM King
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:03 pm

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by FM King » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:19 am

But surely whilst we're on that note I bet it's a lot easier to get a licence for Ramadam radio than for a Christian RSL station. How many Christian RSL's have you heard??
None! Because it will upset the Muslim community.

bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by bristolpirates » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:07 pm

FM King wrote:How many Christian RSL's have you heard??
Radio Cracker in the 90s, Flame FM in Swindon only last month.

Also, Jehovah's Witnesses have very low power stations set up during their summer conventions. Not your normal Christians, but they use the Bible.
FM King wrote:Because it will upset the Muslim community.
Daily Mail bollocks. Muslims might get offended if you throw bacon sandwiches at their mosque or make fun of their prophet, but they certainly won't be offended by Christians running a radio station.

Dai Pole
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by Dai Pole » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:54 pm

FM King wrote:...I bet it's a lot easier to get a licence for Ramadam radio than for a Christian RSL station. How many Christian RSL's have you heard??
None! Because it will upset the Muslim community.
You bet? How much? If you've not applied for one, how would you know?!

I bet you're not a Christian, nor care for the teachings of Christianity, but instead - like the Britain First morons - using a religion to which you don't subscribe as a smokescreen device to spread divisive poison.

Dai Pole
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by Dai Pole » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:59 pm

Oh, and by the way - have you never heard of Premier Christian Radio? Granted, not an RSL, but they've been going for years. As far as I know, there aren't any rabid Muslims calling for their switchoff.

User avatar
FM King
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:03 pm

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by FM King » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:17 am

Dai Pole wrote:
You bet? How much? If you've not applied for one, how would you know?!

I bet you're not a Christian, nor care for the teachings of Christianity, but instead - like the Britain First morons - using a religion to which you don't subscribe as a smokescreen device to spread divisive poison.
I've never heard any of them but I've heard plenty of Ramadams pop up all over the country every year.
I can only imagine it must be lot easier to get pretty much anything in this country if you are that religeon in this country. That's not being racist, just an observation.
Britain First are not religeous and don't know the first thing about any of it and I certainly don't support them or share their views. They are an extremist organisation.

Dai Pole
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by Dai Pole » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:51 pm

FM King wrote:I can only imagine it must be lot easier to get pretty much anything in this country if you are that religeon in this country. That's not being racist, just an observation.
Yeah okay - try ringing Farnell to obtain some MC145170. Make sure to tell them you're a Muslim too.

User avatar
teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!
Posts: 2062
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 am

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by teckniqs » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:44 pm

Best RSL I ever heard was called Don FM 100.5 and another called Hype FM 87.8 and this was around 1994, I don't think I've heard any decent RSL's since then.

shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:55 pm

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by shuffy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:44 pm

Dai Pole wrote:Yeah okay - try ringing Farnell to obtain some MC145170. Make sure to tell them you're a Muslim too.
If I thought I'd get MC145170's from Farnell (or anywhere else for that matter) I'd shave my head and tell them I'm flipping Buddha.

User avatar
teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!
Posts: 2062
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 am

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by teckniqs » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:13 am


bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by bristolpirates » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:06 pm

Bristol had some decent RSLs in the 90s run by pirates of the time and similar groups of people, often using pirate or club/rave DJs.

Best one we've had in years was on last month - https://www.mixcloud.com/swufm/

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:23 am

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by Albert H » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:22 am

teckniqs wrote:Loads on eBay, haha. :twisted:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... 0&_sacat=0
That suggests that the few tubes of 145170s I've got here are worth Thousands! That "Little Diode" is a serious rip-off!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

User avatar
teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!
Posts: 2062
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 am

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by teckniqs » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:02 am

Albert H wrote:
teckniqs wrote:Loads on eBay, haha. :twisted:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... 0&_sacat=0
That suggests that the few tubes of 145170s I've got here are worth Thousands! That "Little Diode" is a serious rip-off!
Every component they sell is and most of the time they don't even bother with a picture of them!

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:23 am

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by Albert H » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:52 am

Dai Pole wrote:Oh, and by the way - have you never heard of Premier Christian Radio? Granted, not an RSL, but they've been going for years. As far as I know, there aren't any rabid Muslims calling for their switch off.
There have been Islamic representations to OFCOM demanding either equal band space or that the Christian stuff is removed. They have had the fact that the UK is (ostensibly) a Christian country and that they are our guests (and should learn to behave themselves)!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by bristolpirates » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:20 am

Albert H wrote:There have been Islamic representations to OFCOM demanding either equal band space or that the Christian stuff is removed. They have had the fact that the UK is (ostensibly) a Christian country and that they are our guests (and should learn to behave themselves)!
With one Christian station on air, there should be one of everything else.

With no Christian stations on air, there should be none of everything else.

Seems fair to me.

This is one world, not one country. Seems the just over half the population of the UK forgot that a week ago.

Dai Pole
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by Dai Pole » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:40 pm

Albert H wrote:There have been Islamic representations to OFCOM demanding either equal band space or that the Christian stuff is removed. They have had the fact that the UK is (ostensibly) a Christian country and that they are our guests (and should learn to behave themselves)!
Do you have any proof? I shall wait patiently...

MiXiN
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:20 pm

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by MiXiN » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:59 pm

teckniqs wrote:
Albert H wrote:
teckniqs wrote:Loads on eBay, haha. :twisted:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... 0&_sacat=0
That suggests that the few tubes of 145170s I've got here are worth Thousands! That "Little Diode" is a serious rip-off!
Every component they sell is and most of the time they don't even bother with a picture of them!
Yes, this Little Diode company has ridiculous prices.

I was desperate for a BSX60 Transistor the other day, and there was some listed on eBay from this seller at £4.50 or best offer.

I placed an offer for £3.50, they declined, then sent a counter offer of £4.30 - the conning fuckers. I refused.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:23 am

Re: distorted asian rsl/pirate

Post by Albert H » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:22 pm

Why on earth would you want to use a BSX60? It's only a gnat's under a Watt, 30V and not a lot of gain. You could get away with the much more common 2N3866.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Post Reply