Foreign stations bleeding over dials

For discussion of all stations in the UK that are outside of London.
Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Foreign stations bleeding over dials

Post by Albert H » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:39 am

It's been boring for a long while!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:50 pm

Yes even pointblank now only seems to be playing to a few regular mates these days. House fm in my opinion does offer house music in a different way with professional musians and djs with knowledge

bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by bristolpirates » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:35 am

Woke up too early, put the SDR on and found there's a very weak window into London, France and Holland here this morning. Got Pulse on 88 mostly, but 88.4 did come in briefly too I think.

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:52 am

Albert H wrote:
bristolpirates wrote:Rage in Taunton were (among other reasons) targeted for their political output.

Interference FM would also often be shut down much quicker than a pirate playing DnB all day.

The only time I've heard of anybody being arrested for listening to a pirate, it was a political pirate.

Running a pirate in itself is a political statement, so let that be the sole political involvement of the station.
Back in the mid-80s - during the miner's strike - there was Radio Arthur. I might have been slightly involved :whistle . It took out BBC "news" broadcasts - in some cases by jamming them over a wide area, and in other cases by getting into BBC links and "borrowing" the transmitters for a while.

That kind of political activism can actually make people sit up and listen, but jam Eastenders or Coronations Street and the great clueless unwashed will want your head!

Anyone read "Radio is My Bomb"?
Good thread this, and I'm glad I stumbled upon it.

I was given the "Radio is my bomb" paperback way back in the 90s, and it was reading through it that sparked my interest in Pirate Radio.

If I remember rightly, it was a red & black book, A4 size, and contained anarchy content in addition to crude ways of building amplifiers, mainly?

Would love to get another copy - so off to Google I go. :-)

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:57 am

Albert H,

I've just found it in PDF format here - https://libcom.org/library/radio-my-bom ... al-pirates

Will have a good read of this in the morning with a Coffee!

FMEnjoyer
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by FMEnjoyer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:47 pm

Today even forum chat about how radio used to be is more exciting than listening to what is on offer. A sad state of affairs. I am more of an anorak type interested ion the setups, how and when and the secrecy and technical of evasion. The excited edgy game of cat and mouse as it used to be. And yes variation and discovery.

I adore music most types and some dance music is incredible so generalizations make you seem out of touch. Which is ok cause I could not tell you about all the sub genres now. But narrow minded playlists will never get my ears attention. But OMG it needs some variation for sure. You know what I would love a golden oldies pirate right now on fm... any type any format. ANYTHING PLEASE ! Just something different. Being into pirate radio and music was about being a part of something different and positive. Society seems more and more divisive so it might explain a little why radio is not what it was.

I suppose even airing your views nowadays carries greater risk what with the world as it is. One thing for sure, times really have changed.

I would even be interested to listen to some pirates away from London. I used to like a bit of that station on 87.5 when heading out west way up M3 or m4. Have not heard them for a while still I don't go that way much. But When I see Bristolpirates posts I think I wonder what stations are on in Bristol and also that Rage FM Taunton provokes some interest in my mind. Also the Brighton stations. Come on Wise give the hippies some slack, nothing wrong with peace lovers. :wflag
Last edited by FMEnjoyer on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pirateaddict
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by pirateaddict » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:07 pm

I'm with FMEnjoyer about the secrecy and cat n mouse n all that...And it is most enjoyable reading about unlicensed radio from the past, don't get me wrong it's interesting to know what's going on in today's scene as well but, back in the 70's when I was a little lad I knew nowt of pirates but those times must've been so exciting in radio and I can't imagine it was cheap neither. So the fact they were there at all is brilliant.. I've always been interested in music for as long as I can remember and got me first wireless in 1980 when i was 7 and it went on from there. I've got aspergers so i pay loads of attention to particular things I like and study it deep..

FMEnjoyer
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by FMEnjoyer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:18 pm

Ok I admit I like a bit of Nick Abbot and his sound effecst Friday and Saturday nights 10pm LBC. Give it a whirl he can be quite funny and direct with how he explains things. Things like "the banking racket and The attack industry" make me laugh. He is a very cynical chap. Some very right wing presenter on there now though on weekday nights. That posh blok Duncan Barnes is a right bore and has gone to 94.9

First station I heard was LWR, Then Solar 93, TKO, Twilight radio, Sunrise, Centreforce, Kiss as a pirate in various frequencies, Radio Veronica, The Music machine, Q102, Friends FM, RJR, so many I cannot recall them 40-50 on at any one time I reckon, bleeding over each other and everyone just got on with it. I was addicted every evening radio on listening for a new station and telling my mates about them. We used to chill out at each others yards and listen to music all day long 89-93 was a fantastic time for raving sumemrs and pirate radio. Wondering where they were coming from who was behind them all of that. Spotting dipoles and getting new radios and you just had to have an S meter on your tuner otherwise it was not worth jack. Always trying to get better reception.

FMEnjoyer
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by FMEnjoyer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:21 am

The wise prankster... If you are going to Brighton la la la :

I would not say no to some hippie love ins, some beautiful ladies there. :tup

As an aside for me the bottom line is in society today there is little mileage in media that is based on merely "biggin yourself up". Often people who big themselves up need to vocalize that because err....... let's say not that great at what they do.. So much on TV in modern society has been whittled down to unimaginative competition. Nothing is just we do this cause we have a passion it is all.. best chef, best at sewing, best and singing, best at blah blah...a competition.

Do what you love because of how it makes you feel not because you are going to be No.1, if it happens great. All of this creates false levels of expectancy in people and they end up feeling like something has been taken away from them by others or feel weak or live an unhappy life.

Radio got agressive late 90's onwards. Give or take a few years and that put many, many decent people off. I don't wanna go up a block and get my head kicked in or worse.

If somehow the fun could be put back into it it might have some kind of life left in it.

bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by bristolpirates » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:16 am

FMEnjoyer wrote:When I see Bristolpirates posts I think I wonder what stations are on in Bristol and also that Rage FM Taunton provokes some interest in my mind.
There's very little out here these days. I have to travel a bit to hear something, unless I'm getting some exceptional tropo from London or something as discussed in this thread.

Rage haven't been on FM for a long time now, though I think they are online still.

Undercover Neckz
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Undercover Neckz » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:16 am

Don't know what all the fuss is about we've got foreign stations bleeding over the london airwaves 24/7, get over it!

DJ Mikey
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by DJ Mikey » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Undercover Neckz wrote:Don't know what all the fuss is about we've got foreign stations bleeding over the london airwaves 24/7, get over it!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:05 pm

I was picking up BBC radio Norfolk on 95.1 this morning and last night I could not pick up a single channel on free view last night either and that has never happened before?