Discuss all things relating to the busy London Pirate Radio scene.
BobbyDub
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by BobbyDub » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Picking up some bible bashing stn in the Greenwich area. Not catches a name for it.

bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: 97.5

Post by bristolpirates » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:54 pm

I was back in London for the day on Saturday and went up Maze Hill. Didn't hear anything on 97.5 but I did hear something a bit odd on 87.7...

It might just sound like white noise at first but keep listening closely and you'll hear a rising / falling sound and what sounds like a really weak station coming in. Could just be a pirate which hasn't got the link switched on and you're hearing whatever the link receiver could hear. I thought the rising / falling sound was a bit odd. You'll see it go off and back on a couple of times in the vid too.

It was still there in central London but it was dead weak. Fairly strong around Greenwich / Deptford, which is why I mentioned it here.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:27 pm

They call that the ghosts!

It's a microwave thing...
I've heard a few people say different reasons why it's caused but I'd love to find out the real truth!!

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:32 am

I've wanted a decent recording of this for ages. I'll listen later.

What you're hearing is the Doppler shift of microwave signals emitted by microwave horns on top of traffic lights being reflected off of moving vehicles (or sometimes other objects such as people if it's really late and quiet).

This is then, as you've rightly said, picked up by the unlinked LNB.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:05 pm

I'd heard that one a few times but there were a fair few other myths like planes flying past, lifts going up and down, and mobile phones or various other equipment being used in passing cars. :D

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:13 pm

None of those are anywhere near 10 GHz nor within range or even signal strength so they're enunciating out of their rear orifice. :D

bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by bristolpirates » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:36 pm

teckniqs wrote:They call that the ghosts!

It's a microwave thing...
I've heard a few people say different reasons why it's caused but I'd love to find out the real truth!!
Nice one Teck, thought it must be something to do with the link or lack of link.
teckniqs wrote:I'd heard that one a few times but there were a fair few other myths like planes flying past, lifts going up and down, and mobile phones or various other equipment being used in passing cars.
It did occur to me that it was like the sound of all the planes flying overhead, or like a tube train coming into the station and going off again.

bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by bristolpirates » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:41 pm

thewisepranker wrote:I've wanted a decent recording of this for ages. I'll listen later.

What you're hearing is the Doppler shift of microwave signals emitted by microwave horns on top of traffic lights being reflected off of moving vehicles (or sometimes other objects such as people if it's really late and quiet).

This is then, as you've rightly said, picked up by the unlinked LNB.

I've tried to clean the noise off of it, here's an mp3...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2wo7h0pxgsxt ... 9.mp3?dl=0