Will Radio die?

Discuss all things relating to the busy London Pirate Radio scene.
Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Will Radio die?

Post by Albert H » Mon May 20, 2019 1:54 pm

Unfortunately, the audio on Medium Wave is limited to little more than telephone bandwidth. Done right, it can sound reasonable, but done badly, it's horrible. Unfortunately, most of the engineers who knew how to do it properly have retired, so the quality of MW broadcasts is generally abysmal. Even Caroline (who should know how to do it right) sound awful on 648 kHz, and are inaudible just a couple of miles from their site at night because of the interference from a Slovenian station and a Spanish station both on the same frequency, but with much more power. They really should stop wasting electricity at night!

Some of the Dutch LPAM stations sound really good. There's one not far from my demesne called "United" on 1224kHz. They sound pretty good for medium wave. They're low power, but they cover quite a big area in the daytime.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

thewoodstarr
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by thewoodstarr » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:32 am

Well we certainly discussed that, nice to see no one was slagging each other off, that's a change for this site. Respect to all, we will keep it going.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:56 am

There are all sorts of broadcast opportunities, some of which we haven't thought of yet! The restrictions on stations ownership and operations placed by the Authorities make life really difficult in the UK. Broadcasting is now owned almost entirely by two or three huge corporations and the little local commercial stations get squeezed out of the game by the financial restrictions placed on them by OFCOM (it's deliberately set up that way to stop the little local stations being successful) and most of them get bought up by the "big boys".

Friends of mine sweated blood getting a truly independent medium scale FM station on the air. They jumped through all the technical hoops, they demonstrated their financial fitness, hired staff, built a studio complex, rented the lines from BT and got on the air. They were going along well for the first year, with a reasonable return on investment, and then the spurious complaints started. A campaign to discredit the station and its owners was orchestrated by another, major radio group. As far as OFCOM were concerned, these were legitimate complaints about content, about advertising time and rates, and about the station getting involved in local politics (which it didn't!).

After almost two years of this campaign, the owners gave up - they couldn't take the hassle any more - and they sold out to Global.... the people who had carried out the campaign against them.

This isn't unique - dirty tricks of various sorts have ensured that there's a monopoly situation, with only a handful of real independent stations left.

This homogenation of radio is what will kill it off. How many "Heart" repeaters can you hear where you are?

There are now rumours of the government wanting to licence internet stations too. The Labour Party announced that this was "one of their aims" since they're really scared of free speech!

My internet stations are all streamed from servers in the USA (the first amendment makes them pretty safe) or from other non-EU countries with good connectivity. I can feed these from UK studios over VPNs and there's nothing that the Authorities can do about it.

The future of independent broadcasting will be IP based since there's a major lack of RF bandwidth available in most places for broadcasting - the major corporations and the BBC make sure of that!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:23 am

I can hear the heart crap on 8 different frequencies where I live

Ironman
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Ironman » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:59 am

Hi Albert. I would love to know the names of the internet stations you run as I reckon I may have the same musical taste as you. I'm really surprised you haven't mentioned this before on this forum, or maybe you have. Anyway, look forward to hearing them.