DAB License Awards

Discuss UK FM/DAB/AM/SW licensed stations here.
Lordunderground
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

DAB License Awards

Post by Lordunderground » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:34 am

The FM ones are well documented, but struggle to find "recent" license awards for DAB, that stations are declaring they have. NO mention on offcom site. Seems odd when local community stations on 30w are covered in detail but those coming on London wide Multiplex & county wide stations no mention at all...

zoostorm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: DAB License Awards

Post by zoostorm » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:22 pm

DAB is slightly different in that they apply to Ofcom for a specific licence that allows them to go on a multiplex. There's an Ofcom Radio Broadcast bulletin which shows when there are changes to stations on DAB multiplexes.

If it's Centreforce you're looking for, that won't be added until the August bulletin, after their launch in July.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:01 pm

It's really funny - OFCOM can't give away DAB licences. They tried to manipulate the figures to show "over 50% listenership" on DAB, but nobody was buying it.

Radio is almost dead - overtaken by the internet. Why would I spend my hard-earned on a DAB receiver that'll get (at best) 80 stations of dubious quality from a static location, but sounds like bubbling mud half the time I'm moving / driving around? DAB is ancient technology (in today's terms) and is very poorly implemented. They're trying to persuade listeners to put up with 64 kbs mono for music stations.

Get thee to t'Interweb, lad! That's where the worldwide audience actually is!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

ice
ne guy
ne guy

Post by ice » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:27 pm

WHO CARES!!!

peterogerspirate
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by peterogerspirate » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:13 am

Albert H wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:01 pm It's really funny - OFCOM can't give away DAB licences. They tried to manipulate the figures to show "over 50% listenership" on DAB, but nobody was buying it.

Radio is almost dead - overtaken by the internet. Why would I spend my hard-earned on a DAB receiver that'll get (at best) 80 stations of dubious quality from a static location, but sounds like bubbling mud half the time I'm moving / driving around? DAB is ancient technology (in today's terms) and is very poorly implemented. They're trying to persuade listeners to put up with 64 kbs mono for music stations.

Get thee to t'Interweb, lad! That's where the worldwide audience actually is!
very valid point it just sounds good for the broadcaster but internet radio is where it is at