Where do DJs get tunes from these days??

Casual chatter & off-topic talk in here please! Soon to be world-famous acts of neckery will take place in this very venue. Topics here are known to get out of hand! Not to be taken seriously by anyone.
sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Where do DJs get tunes from these days??

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:06 am

As we all know! technology is changing rapidly these days!
I still listen to pirate and internet broadcast and most DJs still have the latest 'promos' and so called 'dubs' in the bag' ??
Many years ago there was local record shops, distributors and the odd new tunes heard whilst raving! :D
all we seem to have is sh*t music sites like itunes and google play??
and to be honest! im dissapointed!! the music industry want people to pay for tunes?? (which im willing to do) but all they have is a load of commercial crap!!
Does anyone have any suggestions for a goood source?? legal? or non legal??
I am as stupid as I look! :|

Mr F
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Mr F » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:22 am

I mean it depends what genre you're after, but buying digitally they're are loads. Dogsonacid, breakbeat.co.uk, juno, beatport, traxsource, bleep.com. The other thing to do is look up your favourite artists on things like soundcloud or mix cloud because they occasionally post tracks for people to download free as promos. Other than that, the same as when vinyl ruled, it's who you know. People will send you stuff by email etc.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Lengman
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: Where do DJs get tunes from these days??

Post by Lengman » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:29 am

Personally, I just use Boomkat and most of the ones listed above. If you have a lot of time and patience, I would recommend looking at Bandcamp too as there's some real gems on there and most of them are available as free downloads!
I'm giving up on you guys cos you're all gimps

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Discogs. ;)

OnKeys
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by OnKeys » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:53 am

Discogs and Beatport are the only ones that come to mind for fresh new underground stuff - usually just look on beatport then rip them from YouTube tbh unless if I can't get it

Lengman
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Lengman » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:15 pm

OnKeys wrote:usually just look on beatport then rip them from YouTube tbh
I'm giving up on you guys cos you're all gimps

ir8 pir8
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by ir8 pir8 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:17 pm

Used to use p2p software but most of them are finished or dead nowadays what is the best to use now ?

fuze
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by fuze » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:11 pm

ebay or discogs, vinyl only for me! :tup

Sparki
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Sparki » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:54 am

Artists send me their beats on soundcloud or facebook, I play under the radar music and find shed loads of good stuff on soundcloud all the time some real gems. I'd say its the digital version of going to a record shop and buying the latest white labels. When I did have 1210s I'd buy from my local record shop (which is still there now! Howling Sounds check it out!) they'd have all the dnb and jungle/hardcore you could think of and still do. I used to use HTFR as well but stopped using them when I found out they were making dodgy cuttings of tunes, one Kev Bird tune is obliterated by the bass! and having spoke to Ron Wells of Basement Records he confirmed HTFR were making dodgy copies.

When I mixed on CDJ's again I used the internet and used to burn lots of CD's but that was time consuming!

Dai Pole
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Dai Pole » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:19 pm

There are record labels still pressing songs on vinyl. Mainly 7", and usually involving so called "real instruments". Follow the label's Twitter accounts, blogs, websites, etc.