Theoretically how long would it take to get hit if.....

Casual chatter & off-topic talk in here please! Soon to be world-famous acts of neckery will take place in this very venue. Topics here are known to get out of hand! Not to be taken seriously by anyone.
Kentdx
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Theoretically how long would it take to get hit if.....

Post by Kentdx » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:22 am

You stuck say a 40w tx on with no link? A day, a week, more?? Just wondering how on the ball ofcom are these days and what the chances of being hit were if you done an odd random day and night here or there.
I'm not considering it, just bored and pondering :geek:

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Theoretically how long would it take to get hit if.....

Post by thewisepranker » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:17 am

They're complaints driven, so can't just come and take you off if no complaint has been made, unless you are really causing a problem - in which case, someone would complain within minutes.

thestig
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by thestig » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:35 am

I know someone who had an ofcom approved rig (for community stations), 30 watts output from it and a double stacked dipole in their loft (yes it did fit) and they ran direct for 14 hours a day 7 days a week for 8 months using a PC with an automated player. They stopped in the end as got bored but never had a sniff of a visit. It got out a good few miles. They knew the signal was clean and did not interfere with any other station, household or public service. Obviously no complaints so was left alone. They lived in a semi rural area and not near a major city so that probably helped.
.ʍǝıʌ ɟo ʇuıod ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ ǝɟıן ʇɐ ʞooן oʇ pǝǝu noʎ sǝɯıʇǝɯos

Kentdx
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Kentdx » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:46 pm

Interesting. I was wondering because when I used to play on a station about 10 years ago they'd have patches where they wouldn't get hit for months and then it would be as soon as you came back on it seemed to get hit for a bout 3 or 4 rigs and then nothing again.

McDonalds
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by McDonalds » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:55 am

I wont say where I am but in North Essex a station has been running for quite a few weeks here and seems to have been left alone. :D

Rise1
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Rise1 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:22 pm

McDonalds wrote:I wont say where I am but in North Essex a station has been running for quite a few weeks here and seems to have been left alone. :D

kaz stop hiding behind fake names acting stupid your days are numbered you have already grassed on rise1 broadcast site to ofcom give yourself up

sharky
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by sharky » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:33 pm

Kentdx wrote:You stuck say a 40w tx on with no link? A day, a week, more?? Just wondering how on the ball ofcom are these days and what the chances of being hit were if you done an odd random day and night here or there.
I'm not considering it, just bored and pondering :geek:
thewisepranker wrote:They're complaints driven, so can't just come and take you off if no complaint has been made, unless you are really causing a problem - in which case, someone would complain within minutes.
If you're TX is on a High Profile Site, say Epping Green for example - probably a few days.
On a block, it could be the local authority that takes you off; and not ofcom.
With a clean box you obviously stand a better chance, but HAMs are the ones to watch - they love tracking stuff and have no problem reporting you to RA.
If you're going to put something on.... Don't brag, Just do; and for God's sake - do it properly!!!

Sparki
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Sparki » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:43 pm

I guess it depends on where your broadcasting from (city or rural) and if your not interfering with anyone else. A local pirate to me was the only one on in recent time (00's) so they stood out, you'd scan the dial and its all pop commercial then you'd hear these guys playing rave music they stood out like a sore thumb. They did have stints where they didnt get taken for about 4-5 months then would all of a sudden vanish for about 6 months then come on again, I'd say in their 7 year existence they probably only ever came on for about 3 and a half of those. Im not sure if they ran direct though as heard so many stories of all the flats they puts aerials on.

I did however hear about a station in Sheppey that had an aerial on top of their house and ran direct for about 5 months then got hit, had everything taken and never came back on air again. I have seen docu's where Dream FM Leeds ran direct and often got hit and Allusion FM from Scotland had an aerial on their house and the bloke was always in and out of court.

FMEnjoyer
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by FMEnjoyer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:48 pm

as other people saided i think it might last a long time if you came on without any, shows that werent on each night after another night, not every night you no. dont come on often like, just wen you wanted too. that way ofcom could, not now you were on

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:04 pm

As my county is in "transition" to EU (and it is in the very center of this continent) many common european laws get introduced here and some of them are bound to electronic communications. So, agency that used to control (and shut down) illegal stations lost its "power" to decide who can use airwaves and who can't. This is how it goes now here (and very similar in the rest of Europe). Illegal broadcasting is matter of police department for hi-tech crimes. But, they react at crime which broadcasting is not. They would not take measures if they don't have proof (or tip) that something is against law. For example, someone could send them complain and say that you are propagating racism or hate against gay population which IS crime. Then, police asks related agency (Ofcom in UK) do you have licence or not. If you have one, it will be canceled. If you are pirate, they will try to remove you from air and probably find owner of equipment. So, basically if you don't go against ANY law, you can do pirate broadcasting as long as you want! Problem is, it is also against the law to steal power from building (elevator, hall lights) to supply your rig and you can be processed by complain from housekeeping service. Also, if you don't pay authoring rights to publishing companies whos music you are playing, it is also against the law. If you have commercials, you will need registered company and pay taxes because this is the law in every country.
Conclusion would be that if you act same as legal broadcaster in every possible way, you will be just fine...